Mar 25, 2015, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Clearly a venerable brand lumbering along.. welllll..past it's sell by date.
Your precious diesels stay in the display cabinet................. PAW's get flown!

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2015, 02:27 PM
and whilst on the PAW subject here is a picture of the twin prototype as shown on facebook Belgium by our friend Classicracer, anybody got news on the progress of this engine ?
Mar 25, 2015, 08:18 PM
Well I am the proud owner of two of the Red Fin Millish .030 size Model Diesel engines. One is a SBR single ball race engine and the other is the newest out version TBR twin ball race engine. I might be the only one in the USA with the TBR engine so far too. The SBR engine came with a small wrench multi-tool too.

These engines come from a small company in the U.K. The engines are made in the Ukraine for him. The engines were all test run and the settings were left as the engine was last run as well. So if you don't touch the settings, the engine ought to fire right up easily and run OK.

The instructions say to use a 7x4 propeller on the engines. That is a pretty awesome size propeller for a .030 engine to turn. One could use a 6x4 propeller for more speed too. The instructions state it turns a 6x4 at about 10,400 RPMS too.

The TBR version Red Fin .030 engine

The SBR version Red Fin .030 engine.

Last edited by earlwb; Mar 25, 2015 at 08:20 PM. Reason: typo correction
Mar 25, 2015, 08:30 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Earl; nice pictures. How much do these little jewels each weigh ?
Mar 25, 2015, 08:47 PM
The Red Fin Millish .030 SBR engine weighs 43 grams on my scale. The Red Fin Millish .030 TBR engine weighs 46 grams on my scale. That is the engine as shown in the pics above without a propeller.

There is a RC throttle for them too. But I hadn't ordered those yet.
Last edited by earlwb; Mar 25, 2015 at 09:02 PM. Reason: add more info
Mar 26, 2015, 01:22 AM
Yes very good looking as well Earl, I did read somewhere that they are designed by Alex Phin in England but I believe they are produced by CS. Have you run them yet ?
Mar 26, 2015, 02:14 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Reggie, I think (but only think) that the early Millish engines were made by CS, but that Alex Phin changed source to Ukraine, due to the usual CS quality problems...
Mar 26, 2015, 02:59 AM
The Ukrainian built Redfin "Kompish" .030 c.i. I mentioned on page 573 is one of the finest small engines I have ever handled.

Redfin "Kompish" TBR Diesel .030 c.i. (0,5 c.c.) (1 min 27 sec)
Mar 26, 2015, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Yes very good looking as well Earl, I did read somewhere that they are designed by Alex Phin in England but I believe they are produced by CS. Have you run them yet ?
In a email from Alex Phin to myself, he stated that the .030 TBR's were made in the Ukraine and not CS.

Now then according to his website the .050 SP, 1.30SP, .075SP, 150FR, 090FR are made by CS.
But the other engines that look like the ones I got appear to be made in the Ukraine.

Alex Phin did also state in a email to me about the TBR: "However on the plus side the engine you have is only one of five which I have made and I will only be making 10 of them so it is unique. Not only that it is the only one in the USA."
he also stated "The TBR develops peak power at 16000RMP of 0.055 bhp and this will soon be reported in the Aeromodeller magazine."
Last edited by earlwb; Mar 26, 2015 at 06:41 AM. Reason: add more information
Mar 26, 2015, 05:56 AM
Quote:
I have not run them yet. I am planning on it though.
Mar 27, 2015, 09:34 AM
In between two showers of rain I tried running that PAW anniversary and it is going allright so that polishing of the crankshaft and adjusting that propdriver did some good, it will need some more running in by looking at the exhaust residu and I will add some wiring wrap around the bronze needle valve holder since it is far too easy to turn loose...
Mar 27, 2015, 09:40 AM
This ED arrived this morning from England and it does look and feel good so there ARE still decent sellers after all... I may try it out later if that rain does stay away... was told that it is an early version and some of you will be able to tell by the numbers at the bottom of the case I'm sure so please do let me know. It was bought specifically to sit next to that OS copy I have shown here but I must try run it as I do with all my diesels. Here are the ED and the OS together. Something I had not noticed before is that there is a number stamped in the OS crankcase, I did use a red marker pen to lighten it up. It is a funny place to stamp a serial number, I have done it myself once or twice on my ign.conversions but one has to make a perfect fitting aluminium piece to do so. And I must fabricate an original intake tube on it that has the original trumpet shape as was shown here by someone...
Last edited by Reginald; Mar 27, 2015 at 10:47 AM.
Mar 27, 2015, 09:50 AM
Size doesn't matter!!!
Very nice engine Reggy!!!
No rain yet today... I have been trying to run a few of my ED's yesterday evening... to no avail. I know I have one or two good runners but I haven't labeled them so I will have to go through all of them I'm afraid...
Mar 27, 2015, 10:04 AM
Hey Jo been running diesels too ? Yesterday I took the Webra redhead Komet apart again and used the old trick for fixing that contra piston that was nearly falling down by itself by heating up red and then giving it a good slam under my press, it is then a bit too tight but one can arrange that by carefull brushing and polishing and that is ok now, still this was a shamefull engine... will maeby run it later on, what prop do you put on these ?
Mar 27, 2015, 10:25 AM
Size doesn't matter!!!
Quote:
Hey Jo been running diesels too ? Yesterday I took the Webra redhead Komet apart again and used the old trick for fixing that contra piston that was nearly falling down by itself by heating up red and then giving it a good slam under my press, it is then a bit too tight but one can arrange that by carefull brushing and polishing and that is ok now, still this was a shamefull engine... will maeby run it later on, what prop do you put on these ?
Yes, I try to run one or two engines every evening when I'm not too occupied with chores from the "home manager"...
I have read your mail about the Komet. It's a shame to be this dissapointed after a purchase from somebody you would trust... How can you put a decent selling price on an engine when you even don't now the condition of the engine? Whenever I am not sure, I would rather give the engine for free...
Komet's are not that critical on prop size. They rather like a quite heavy prop. I have been running them on a 9x4 kavan.

Jo

Quick Reply