Oct 26, 2012, 03:19 PM
Ivan Prior of I.P. Engineering made about 10 to 12 Majesco Mites in the late 1980s.
The original Majesco Mites were pressure/gravity die-cast-so you can see the tooling seams.
The I.P.Eng. engines were sand cast(very,very well done) so, no tooling seams.
Hope this helps.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2012, 03:27 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand
On auction now.....not named.
To me it looks like a Micron 5 cc.... (?)

http://www.tradera.com/gammal-diesel...2065_167138730

Yes Bosse, that looks like a Micron 5. It's one of the last ones of the main production run, i.e. not counting the short collectors' run in the mid-seventies.
This engine looks original and the main run engines can all be very roughly dated by their heads (3 different types).
The last head type used was this one, it's a cast head anodised red. You don't see many like this, but I think Reggie has one.
After this, the collectors' run engine has the same cast head, but not anodised.
Oct 26, 2012, 03:47 PM
Thanks Brian..! These engines rarely turn up in Sweden.
I won't bid though, as I collect engines in a 'mild' way nowadays......trying to focus on 'existing projects'.....

Here is another one on auction...this was totally unknown to me.....
http://www.tradera.com/1-49cc-racer-...2065_167139946

Oct 26, 2012, 04:14 PM
More from the same seller.....two Taipan Tyros....

http://www.tradera.com/diesel-motor-...2065_167139597

...both unusual over here....

Oct 26, 2012, 06:06 PM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
Quote:
I won't bid though, as I collect engines in a 'mild' way nowadays......trying to focus on 'existing projects'.....

How could I bid on this from USA?
Oct 26, 2012, 07:51 PM
Duplicate ...
Last edited by locktite401; Oct 26, 2012 at 07:57 PM.
Oct 26, 2012, 07:56 PM
Interesting problem, it seems that the seller will deal with overseas clients and Google Translate works well on the Auction site.

The Google Chrome browser can do an automatic translate as well as you browse. This should make the sign up simple.

http://translate.google.com/translat...139946&act=url

It seems to be a Swedish licensed version of Ebay and you just need a verified Paypal a/c to become an international member..

Ray
Oct 27, 2012, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
Yes Bosse, that looks like a Micron 5. It's one of the last ones of the main production run, i.e. not counting the short collectors' run in the mid-seventies.
This engine looks original and the main run engines can all be very roughly dated by their heads (3 different types).
The last head type used was this one, it's a cast head anodised red. You don't see many like this, but I think Reggie has one.
After this, the collectors' run engine has the same cast head, but not anodised.
You do mean this one ? The smaller one is made by Michel Molinié from Paris.
Oct 27, 2012, 01:12 AM
Closed Account

FROG 50D Mks. 1 and 2

Way back, starting on page 222 (post # 3323 by Gluehand) we started discussing the various marks of FROG 50's. I contended that mine was a 50D Mk. II, whilst Brian thought it to be a Mk. III. Was browsing through Mike Clanford's engine book (known to contain quite a few errors) and I think I know now where the confusion all started. Clanford shows a Mk. I, a Mk. II and a Mk. III FROG 50 Diesel. It would seem Brian, that Gluehand was entirely correct in stating that he had 2 Mk. I's, an early one and a late one. Clanford has made the mistake of listing these two variants of the Mk. I as a Mk. I and a Mk. II, thus he had to list the real Mk. II as a Mk. III, which I don't think ever existed. This is borne out by reading Chinn's Engine Test which is posted back there as well. Over to you Brian !
Oct 27, 2012, 02:52 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Quote:

links not working .
Oct 27, 2012, 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G WILLIE
How could I bid on this from USA?
Bill, I ran my mouse over the Micron ad (same seller), and I got a window saying that the seller would only sell in Sweden... Although that could well be just a "default option"
Oct 27, 2012, 03:18 AM
Closed Account
And from the same Swedish site, the rare 1955 Aquila Baby gear-reduction marine (with a slight mix-up with an Enya 19 Model 4002).......
Oct 27, 2012, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack
Way back, starting on page 222 (post # 3323 by Gluehand) we started discussing the various marks of FROG 50's. I contended that mine was a 50D Mk. II, whilst Brian thought it to be a Mk. III. Was browsing through Mike Clanford's engine book (known to contain quite a few errors) and I think I know now where the confusion all started. Clanford shows a Mk. I, a Mk. II and a Mk. III FROG 50 Diesel. It would seem Brian, that Gluehand was entirely correct in stating that he had 2 Mk. I's, an early one and a late one. Clanford has made the mistake of listing these two variants of the Mk. I as a Mk. I and a Mk. II, thus he had to list the real Mk. II as a Mk. III, which I don't think ever existed. This is borne out by reading Chinn's Engine Test which is posted back there as well. Over to you Brian !
Yeah Bob, Following our early discussions, there's obvious quite a lot of doubt concerning Frog 50 Marks.We really need Richard Dalby, who must know more about Frog engines than anyone else.
However, after thinking a lot about it, I came to the conclusion that Mike Clanford's book is simply dead right.
The external difference between the Mk I and the Mk II is the head.
The Mk I head is smaller and has fins "right down to the bottom", whereas the larger Mk II head has a plain unfinned section at the bottom (which was continued on the Mk III).
Then, the Mk III has the different crankcase (needle sweepback and strap).
So, to keep it simple, only the Mk I has fins right down to the bottom of the head. Then, the Mk II has a slightly bigger head with the plain unfinned ring at the bottom and, finally, the Mk III retains the Mk II head but with the strap under the case and swept-back needle.
I'm reproducing GH's photo, which shows a Mk I head on the left (ignore the ED Baby comp screw!), and a Mk II head on the right.
Bob, your engine is a Mk III (one of the great things about living down under is that it prevents any possibility of thinking that the world is flat!)
Phew!
Oct 27, 2012, 04:10 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
Yeah Bob, Following our early discussions, there's obvious quite a lot of doubt concerning Frog 50 Marks.We really need Richard Dalby, who must know more about Frog engines than anyone else.
However, after thinking a lot about it, I came to the conclusion that Mike Clanford's book is simply dead right.
The external difference between the Mk I and the Mk II is the head.
The Mk I head is smaller and has fins "right down to the bottom", whereas the larger Mk II head has a plain unfinned section at the bottom (which was continued on the Mk III).
Then, the Mk III has the different crankcase (needle sweepback and strap).
So, to keep it simple, only the Mk I has fins right down to the bottom of the head. Then, the Mk II has a slightly bigger head with the plain unfinned ring at the bottom and, finally, the Mk III retains the Mk II head but with the strap under the case and swept-back needle.
I'm reproducing GH's photo, which shows a Mk I head on the left (ignore the ED Baby comp screw!), and a Mk II head on the right.
Bob, your engine is a Mk III (one of the great things about living down under is that it prevents any possibility of thinking that the world is flat!)
Phew!
Brian, please read Chinn's Engine Test closely - the FROG 50 Mk. III never existed !
Oct 27, 2012, 04:31 AM
Closed Account
Brian, please also read this closely -
http://modelenginenews.org/ad/frog_unter.html

(Quote) "This relatively minor variant has sometimes been referred to as the Frog 50 Mk II, with the following model referred to as the Mk III. However, neither the factory nor contemporary reviewers ever applied such designations—both the first and second variants of the Frog 50 were designated as Mk I's."

Quick Reply