Feb 28, 2012, 08:00 AM
Chas,

Yes, the Westwood is still Common Land ... and still the best flying site for many a mile, imo.

Where, in Cottingham, did you fly?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2012, 12:51 PM
Voices through wires? Ha!
The grounds of The Lawns Centre...no electric in those days ! (1971)....but nobody minded either. Used to go to the model shop on Chanterlands was it? Those were my single days in more ways than one! Cheers
Feb 28, 2012, 04:26 PM
The model shop was Reg Beaumont's.

He's been dead about 18 years, now. The shop went with him, as far as modelling is concerned. I think it still trades as an electrical contractor's.

Nil chance of flying at the Lawns, now. I think that they've built masses of new buildings ... accommodation and such-like. Anyway, what with the general paranoia re safety ...

Have a look on Google Earth.
Mar 01, 2012, 02:13 AM

CS .30 Twin

With an OT Major making an apperance in th first photo
Last edited by fiery; Mar 01, 2012 at 02:24 AM.
Mar 02, 2012, 09:06 PM
Closed Account
Unusual 6.5cc Four Stroke Diesel Engine

"This engine, by Andy Harding, is unusual in that model diesel engines are usually 2 stroke in order to accomodate a contra piston in the top of the cylinder. This enables the compression ratio (CR) to be altered around the 18:1 nominal to allow easy starting and then back off the CR as the engine warms up. With a four stroke the valves get in the way. To provide the variable CR this engine has a cylinder/head assembly that pivots around the camshaft, varying the volume at TDC but without changing the valve train clearances."

http://www.bristolmodelengineers.co.uk/ice.htm
Mar 03, 2012, 12:33 AM

Enya 41-4CD TN

The Enya 41-4CD TN is a 4-strokes diesel:
http://www.enya-engine.com/41-4CDManual_E.pdf
Mar 03, 2012, 12:41 AM

Offer - Taipan 1.5cc diesel, series 66

No, not the engine but an original operating instruction leaflet going free to the first person who would like this, perhaps to accompany an engine in your collection. The address on the leaflet says, Gordon Burford & Co Pty Ltd, 40 Belfast St, Grange, South Australia. Showing signs of age but is all there in reasonable condition. Allen
Mar 03, 2012, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Yours ? Does it start an run well ? There's one on ebay might be tempted...
Mar 03, 2012, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan
The Enya 41-4CD TN is a 4-strokes diesel:
http://www.enya-engine.com/41-4CDManual_E.pdf
Always wanted to buy one of these, there's a dealer in England but I believe these engines go for over 550 $
Mar 03, 2012, 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack
Unusual 6.5cc Four Stroke Diesel Engine

"This engine, by Andy Harding, is unusual in that model diesel engines are usually 2 stroke in order to accomodate a contra piston in the top of the cylinder. This enables the compression ratio (CR) to be altered around the 18:1 nominal to allow easy starting and then back off the CR as the engine warms up. With a four stroke the valves get in the way. To provide the variable CR this engine has a cylinder/head assembly that pivots around the camshaft, varying the volume at TDC but without changing the valve train clearances."

http://www.bristolmodelengineers.co.uk/ice.htm
Fascinating engine altough I do not understand the working at this point.
Mar 03, 2012, 05:13 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
It occurs to me that removing the cylinder heads may provide enough temporary clearance to allow an (Oliver) RC carb to be screwed in (then reinstall the heads, obviously!). Unfortunately, I suppose the screw threads wouldn't match, but that could certainly be "arranged" by someone competent...
Mar 03, 2012, 05:21 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels

Four strokes again

As you all probably know, a few superb four stroke diesels have been produced by Lumir Polednik, using an eccentric crankshaft bush to vary compression. Unfortunately, I don't possess one...
However, this Laser is a great engine. To quote my friend James Parry, "on full throttle, it sounds like a London taxi", and it does... superb!
Mar 03, 2012, 05:47 AM

Polednik

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
As you all probably know, a few superb four stroke diesels have been produced by Lumir Polednik, using an eccentric crankshaft bush to vary compression. Unfortunately, I don't possess one...
However, this Laser is a great engine. To quote my friend James Parry, "on full throttle, it sounds like a London taxi", and it does... superb!
Pretty expensive those Laser 4-strokes and not often on ebay. I believe friend Danny does have one. Here are some pictures of my Polednik. Barely 100millimeter in height and a real jewel.
Mar 03, 2012, 06:05 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Laser Diesel fourstroke MkI
Mar 03, 2012, 08:00 AM
Here's my Saito .50 diesel.

I must admit that I don't really use it... too many other projects demanding my time. It'd be great in a vintage model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMBgt...8&feature=plcp
Last edited by bogbeagle; Mar 03, 2012 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply