Aug 09, 2011, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
Your Helium and Thusius-Höhne are certainly really unique engines to have. The Thusius-Höhne reminds me of a old little gasoline engine powered 200w AC generator we used when I was in the military years ago. We needed to use the generator from time to time to keep it operating OK, so we used it to power a bread toaster a few times. Toasting bread was sort of a big deal for us being way out in the boonies at the time. If I remember correctly it might have been a little O&R generator.
That Thusius is a strange engine espescially because it is so tiny. I have taken it apart today and will post pictures of all parts tomorrow. I had forgotten to mention that this is another excentric diesel. I know that Ohlsson&Rice did have several generator versions for military and other use but those engines were much larger. I do have an O&R with an Octura boat mount. The Thusius is extremely well made, not just another junky thing like some other German engines that were produced shortly after the end of WW2. Not sure if the case is alu or magnesium, but all other parts are nickel plated. As stated, I guess it was produced to avoid the imposed regulations,
but why go so far as adding all that complex forced cooling when Rauch got away with it by simply mounting their engine on a stand ? The very high standard of materials and finish indicate that the makers must have been very professional. Newcomers ? Or did they make complex devices during
WW2 ? I seem to remember that famous German collector Dieter Rother does have a complete engine, anyone got his email adress ? He lives in or nearby München.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2011, 07:29 PM
Thread OP
Gkamysz, that’s a very nice 2.5 cc Taifun Zyklon . The RC carb even has an air bleed screw, so I’d guess that it works extremely well.

Reginald, your WOHM 10cc radial diesel engine looks really good in red . Earl has the blue. Any other colours? What number is yours? I’m sure I’m not the only one feeling a little envious….you lucky guys.

Your Thusius-Höhne 0,7cc Type G from 1948 looks mint. A very unique little engine.

Gluehand, I think you’ve got us all “stumped”. That looks like a rugged diesel and maybe a work horse.

Thanks everyone for sharing the pictures….

John
Aug 09, 2011, 07:35 PM
Thread OP

Flying Models magazine cover shot....a FF with a diesel

It’s been a long time since I saw a diesel powered model on the cover of a current (August, 2011) magazine.
It’s a 44 inch span model powered with a 0.03 PAW, and who else but one of the old masters himself, Dave Platt.
You’ll have to get your own copy to see the article and plans.
Included is an extra full page titled, Some Things to Know About Diesels. Here’s the cover shot.
Aug 09, 2011, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Your Helium and Thusius-Höhne are certainly really unique engines to have. The Thusius-Höhne reminds me of a old little gasoline engine powered 200w AC generator we used when I was in the military years ago. We needed to use the generator from time to time to keep it operating OK, so we used it to power a bread toaster a few times. Toasting bread was sort of a big deal for us being way out in the boonies at the time. If I remember correctly it might have been a little O&R generator.
Hey Earl, is this the generator you used:

Ohlsson and Rice "LifeSavr" (0 min 45 sec)

Sorry for being off topic.
Aug 09, 2011, 09:05 PM
Yeah that looks like the generator. Ours was all Olive Drab painted though. Thanks for the video nostalgia trip.

JohnAV8R, Wolfgang has made 23 or 24 of the WOHM radial engines so far. I got #22 which was trimmed using Blue Anodizing. He has done most all the colors so far. He did one up recently all in Purple Anodizing too.

He does happen to have a "Black Devil" WOHM engine he just got done, and ready for a buyer if anyone is interested. PM me and I'll give you his Email address. He used black anodizing on it. It takes him about 4 weeks to make all the parts for a engine. Granted he does make more than one part at a time, you never know when you have a oops. So sometimes he gets several engines built at about the same time. If he doesn't get a buyer after a while, he'll put it up on Ebay Germany.
Aug 10, 2011, 01:19 AM

Thusius

Thusius engine in parts. The knurled round screw gives the impression it serves to adjust compression but it does'nt since it is excentric compression.
One side of the flat cylinder head (alu disc) has larger opening but the underside is very tiny little hole. Purpose of this adjustment ??
Aug 10, 2011, 01:22 AM

Thusius

what's the use of this screw ?
Aug 10, 2011, 01:54 AM
My guess: A priming device

Aug 10, 2011, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand
My guess: A priming device

Did'nt think of that but it sounds rather logical now. Thanks.
Aug 10, 2011, 04:41 AM

Dyno line-up

Left to right : reproduction - Ronald valentine - Arne Hende - original
Aug 10, 2011, 04:57 AM

Wohm 10cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R
Gkamysz, that’s a very nice 2.5 cc Taifun Zyklon . The RC carb even has an air bleed screw, so I’d guess that it works extremely well.

Reginald, your WOHM 10cc radial diesel engine looks really good in red . Earl has the blue. Any other colours? What number is yours? I’m sure I’m not the only one feeling a little envious….you lucky guys.

Your Thusius-Höhne 0,7cc Type G from 1948 looks mint. A very unique little engine.

Gluehand, I think you’ve got us all “stumped”. That looks like a rugged diesel and maybe a work horse.

Thanks everyone for sharing the pictures….

John
This is the certificate that came with the engine
Aug 10, 2011, 09:23 AM
Dieselized User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald
what's the use of this screw ?
I suspect it's for clearing a flood. There was reference to a similar design on modelenginenews.org

Greg
Aug 10, 2011, 05:49 PM
Reginald, i think we were bidding against each other on that engine in the last auction. You won I lost. That is so funny.
Then Wolfgang made me an offer for his other engine he had made.
I couldn't resist of course.

You know, if your engine isn't using a spring detent for the compression screws, you might mention to Wolfgang that you didn't get locking levers for the compression screws on your engine. He can send you some.

Aug 11, 2011, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Reginald, i think we were bidding against each other on that engine in the last auction. You won I lost. That is so funny.
Then Wolfgang made me an offer for his other engine he had made.
I couldn't resist of course.

You know, if your engine isn't using a spring detent for the compression screws, you might mention to Wolfgang that you didn't get locking levers for the compression screws on your engine. He can send you some.

Yes may do that but these are quite easy to make. One thing I do'nt like about the engine is the id plaque, he could have done that a bit more refined,
note that he uses the letter M for W as well, an engraved plaque would have been nicer after all the nice work he did. I will open up the engine one of these days.
Aug 11, 2011, 06:35 AM
You know, I was thinking the same thing about the little ID plaque too. he used a different set of stamps on the backplate when he stamped in the numbers there.

Quick Reply