May 03, 2011, 03:45 PM
I am hoping he'll be able to make some.
I would like to get one myself.
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2011, 06:07 PM
Time for me to Fly...
I agree Earl, those are some sweet looking little engines. I'd get one too.
May 04, 2011, 10:47 AM
Here is my example of the Schroeder/Gotham Hobby DEEZIL compression ignition engine. Displacement 2cc or about 0.12 cubic inches.
They were made from around 1947 through 1955. In 1947 they sold for around $4.95 at first but in 1955 they were selling for $1.95.
more about them here: http://modelenginenews.org/deezil/index.html

May 04, 2011, 11:08 PM

Well

Another good couple of C/L days,,

bleeding fingers on both , I guess snapped crankpins are part of the diesel scene, the challenge seems to be getting the motor on tune and getting the tank to work, also these fancy uniflow tanks that run strong right up to the end of the flight crashed me ,

you get no warning and my model was going vertical when it cut,,,, and crunch, also if your inverted she lands upside down

Im trying for a 25$ Silver swallow from CEI if I can get an answer are CEI reliable ?
May 05, 2011, 02:17 AM
Last time I bought from them the website wasn't working, so contact them by phone then no probs.
May 05, 2011, 05:55 AM
earlwb, In 1947 or 1948 I wanted a Deezil for Christmas. Dad said I was too young and when older and I had a job I could get one. So in 1950 I got a paper route. One of the first things I got was a glow engine. For Christmas in 2005 I bought myself a CS replica Deezil. In the photos it has the grey APC prop. It runs well and easy to sart and adjust. Not sure how it will hold up. A couple years back a SAM member over 80 years of age gave me an original Deezil he got around 1947. He had modified it with a compression locking nut and rotated the needle valve assembly 90 degrees. In the photos it has the black MA prop. I tried to get it running but could not. It would pop and I got a couple primes to run out but no real runs. Jack
May 05, 2011, 09:15 AM
Don't feel bad Jack , I can't get my original Deezel to run either.I would like to have one of those CS replicas .

Mike1484
May 05, 2011, 02:35 PM
yeah the Deezil engine was sort of a low end cheapie engine during its time. it probably ranks up there with the infamous GHQ spark ignition engine too. I am hoping to give mine a try later. Maybe it'll work, maybe not, I'll find out.

Some engines would work, some would not work. It depended a lot on if they made the engine correctly or not. The main problem was the flange they brazed onto the cylinder. It was easy to get the flange a tiny bit crooked and then the engine would bind up. But that was just one problem.
ref http://modelenginenews.org/deezil/index.html

Gordon Burford made the best ones when he actually made Deezils that would run right out of the box. He used to play on that with his marketing too. But he quit making them when the CS Chinese company got involved.

I would carefully check the needle valve out on the one that almost gets running. I ran into several vintage engines where someone had installed the needle valve incorrectly or even messed it up. On one engine, the little hole in the spraybar was so far off center that it was obstructed by the venturi tube. On another engine the little hole was facing up and outward. I had one engine where there was a needle holder but no needle inside.

I have a couple of Chinese made Elfin .09 engine clones and they both won't even pop for me. But I noticed a lot of gunk coming up out of the compression screw on top, so i suspect the contra pistons aren't fitted well. But I haven't really taken a close look at them yet to see what the problems are. I have a old Indian made Mills .075 from circa 1977 that was bad, the connecting rod was drilled wrong and was loose plus the ports in the cylinder were drilled haphazardly too.
Last edited by earlwb; May 05, 2011 at 02:44 PM.
May 05, 2011, 03:05 PM
Time for me to Fly...
How about the Super Atom 1.8cc diesel, are they any good?
May 05, 2011, 04:10 PM
My MP-Jet Atom 1.8cc engine runs great. Super easy to start and runs nicely. I plan on drilling a extra tiny hole in the top of the fuel tank to make filling the fuel tank easier. That one tiny hole is hard to get my little refueling syringe to work on it without blocking the one tiny vent hole.

we have a thread about them here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10358527/tm.htm
and the 2.5cc Letmo engine thread is here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10442763/tm.htm
May 05, 2011, 05:00 PM
I must agree with Earlwb re. the Burford Deezil.

I saw Gordon fill and start one in one flick from cold several times as his fits were so good. That was back in the early '80s.

I purchased one and have it in a FF Goldberg Interceptor.....It's also a one flick starter as such, most of the time.
May 05, 2011, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
. I have a old Indian made Mills .075 from circa 1977 that was bad, the connecting rod was drilled wrong and was loose plus the ports in the cylinder were drilled haphazardly too.
Hi Earlwb; The Indian Mills seem to be hit or miss, they ether go well or not at all. I was lucky enough to be given a 0.75 Indian a few months ago, It has had a hard life and a lot of running but it still goes realy well. Someone has tried to clean the fuel bowl with some sort of solvent and it's partly disolved . No idea how old it is.I intend to put it in a Tomboy.
May 05, 2011, 07:47 PM
Thread OP
For those who are new to collecting diesels, don’t forget about

http://www.clubtamaran.com/diesel.htm

Alberto Parra has his own 2.5 diesel, plus a few others. I don’t think you will be disappointed. There are lots of pictures to see and check out this diesel. I can also post a few pictures with it along side PAW , ETA, or OT for comparison if you want to see how it compares visually. Power wise, it has them all beat!
May 06, 2011, 10:16 PM
I had gotten lucky and was able to buy a P.A.L. replica of the McCoy .049 Dura Glow model diesel engine from Bob Langelius.

and my McCoy .09 model diesel engine:

May 07, 2011, 10:49 AM
Thread OP
Earlwb, those McCoy diesels are nice. Do they have a contra piston in top?
What makes the PAL sand casting look so different? It looks rough in the picture, but I'm sure it isn't.
John

Quick Reply