Thread Tools
May 10, 2021, 11:58 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
Yeah.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2021, 02:47 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Stack
I have been trying to figure out the numbering system that Dave Owen used on his T2.5. Following are the 11 numbers (and owners) I could find, in numerical order -

Geoff Potter # 118 dated March 2013
condo # 119 March 2013 (these 2 possibly pre-production prototypes ?)&121417.

Jack Hiner # 121406 Dec. 2014
tyro185 # 121411 Dec. 2014
ozrs # 121514 Dec. 2015
edholly #121527
krafty #121545 July 2015

Warren B # 31505 (?)

ffkiwi # 61405
ebay.fr engine # 61407
Twin Stack's engine # 61410 June 2014
Anyone care to offer a solution as to how the system works ?
Gday Geoff..You can add T2.5 #121417 to my list,the receipt is dated 23 dec 2014,.The box has nothing stamped on it ,Unlike #119 which has 119 stamped in the bottom of the box.
I believe the original intent was to produce 200 or 250 T2,5..These are numbered {stamped on bottom of box 1 to 250,or whatever original run was. }

The ones with 5 or 6 digit numbers hand written on the receipt were made from leftover parts.{ I base this on the fact that i ordered a spare piston /liner set from David when i placed my original order.}. Last time i spoke to David at Canowindra and asked about the spare piston and liner set ,he stated he didnt have any left as he used them in extra motors.
condo
May 11, 2021, 03:09 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
Looks pretty clear to me.
The first 1 (or 2) digits are the month (1 digit for months 1 to 9, or 2 digits for Oct. Nov. and Dec.).
The next two digits are the year,
And the last two digits are the engine number within the month.
Thus, in any given year, engines made from January to September have a five-digit s/n, and engines made during the last 3 months have a 6-digit s/n.
Last edited by brokenenglish; May 11, 2021 at 03:20 AM.
May 11, 2021, 06:01 AM
Registered User
Warren B's Avatar
Mine was very late in the production so 31505 sounds like March 2015, the fifth engine.
However it was always planned production, I don't think it was assembled from spares.
May 11, 2021, 06:02 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
Looks pretty clear to me.
The first 1 (or 2) digits are the month (1 digit for months 1 to 9, or 2 digits for Oct. Nov. and Dec.).
The next two digits are the year,
And the last two digits are the engine number within the month.
Thus, in any given year, engines made from January to September have a five-digit s/n, and engines made during the last 3 months have a 6-digit s/n.
So 121514 Dec 2015
And 121545 July 2015
Doesn't fit...july should under your model be 5 digital should be 71545
Last edited by condo; May 11, 2021 at 06:19 AM.
May 11, 2021, 06:42 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
I don't understand. The serial numbering is no problem, but where are you getting the "July" from?
IMO, it's the "July" that's "wrong", not the s/n.
Do they both appear on the same document (invoice or box?). If not, an invoice has been switched between boxes or something like that.
Last edited by brokenenglish; May 11, 2021 at 06:49 AM.
May 11, 2021, 10:11 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
I don't understand. The serial numbering is no problem, but where are you getting the "July" from?
IMO, it's the "July" that's "wrong", not the s/n.
Do they both appear on the same document (invoice or box?). If not, an invoice has been switched between boxes or something like that.
Potters original post stated july . I assume that the date on the Owen invoice as the details he published about mine were from the Owen invoice that came with the motor.!
I have yet to see a picture of a box with a 5 or 6 digit #no stamped into the bottom of the box..My 6 digit numbered motor does not have stamped box,BUT my #119 motor has the number stamped in the bottom of box.
May 12, 2021, 04:54 PM
ffkiwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by condo
Potters original post stated july . I assume that the date on the Owen invoice as the details he published about mine were from the Owen invoice that came with the motor.!
I have yet to see a picture of a box with a 5 or 6 digit #no stamped into the bottom of the box..My 6 digit numbered motor does not have stamped box,BUT my #119 motor has the number stamped in the bottom of box.
This discussion prompted me to check mine-serial already mentioned earlier....mine has the number - 61405-written neatly -in black ink (possibly indian ink or a similar indelible type)-on both the underside of the box base-in the corner, and in a similar position on the inside of the box lid.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
May 14, 2021, 01:59 PM
Registered User
Nova-1 model diesel engine running in (2 min 12 sec)
May 14, 2021, 02:07 PM
Registered User
nice
May 15, 2021, 10:43 PM
Registered User
[QUOTE=ffkiwi;47117731]This discussion prompted me to check mine-serial already mentioned earlier....mine has the number - 61405-written neatly -in black ink (possibly indian ink or a similar indelible type)-on both the underside of the box base-in the corner, and in a similar position on the inside of the box lid.

Exactly. The original run of couple hundred had number punched into bottom of box with number punch.Later 5 or 6 digit were inked.I maintain still that the punched ones more valuable. Jmo.
May 16, 2021, 08:37 AM
Registered User

Owen 2.5


Nah Condo - mine is more valuable LOL, I was with Dave when he had the last 2 of that engine just before his passing. He gave me mine as he was on the phone overseas to the purchaser of the other one, no idea who but think it was to the USA. I will have to dig it out and find the serial no. OK hand written #061518 on the bottom of the box.; regards Alex
May 16, 2021, 07:03 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Stack
I have been trying to figure out the numbering system that Dave Owen used on his T2.5. Following are the 13 numbers (and owners) I could find, in numerical order -

Geoff Potter # 118 dated March 2013
condo # 119 March 2013 (these 2 possibly pre-production prototypes ?)

Jack Hiner # 121406 Dec. 2014
tyro185 # 121411 Dec. 2014
condo # 121417 Dec. 2014
ozrs # 121514 Dec. 2015
edholly #121527
krafty #121545 July 2015

Warren B # 31505 (?)

ffkiwi # 61405
ebay.fr engine # 61407
Twin Stack's engine # 61410 June 2014
Alex VK2KR # 061518

Anyone care to offer a solution as to how the system works ?
I wonder why Dave tacked that zero on at the front ? (Alex' engine)
May 17, 2021, 02:36 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Stack
I wonder why Dave tacked that zero on at the front ? (Alex' engine)
Bob, it seems like 2015 was the last production, and it also seems like David switched to 2 digits for the month.
It would be interesting to find any production (if there was any) during the early months of 2015.
The s/n of Alex's engine would seem to indicate that there were at least 17 others made in June 2015 (so what about January to May?).
I just think that, with hindsight, after a few years production, David considered serial numbers of different lengths could be confusing, and if you look at some of the posts here... he was right! So he finally adopted six digits everywhere.
May 17, 2021, 03:26 AM
Registered User
Just an observation here, or more correctly, a personal opinion - there seems to be a vague assumption that the last of the T2.5's are of second rate quality, having been assembled from "left over" parts. Whilst this has been true of quite a few commercial manufacturers over the years. I am sure this does not apply in David Owen's case. I cannot imagine for a moment that David would have sent out inferior quality engines to anyone. I'll bet that his last engine was as good as the first!


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diesel Engines Aeromister Engines 23 Aug 16, 2019 08:03 PM
diesel engines wyflyer_55 Fuel Plane Talk 19 Nov 06, 2018 03:02 PM
Discussion Need help with two diesel engines ! cosmin Engines 13 Oct 22, 2018 04:04 PM
scale model of engines dw1122 Life, The Universe, and Politics 4 Apr 11, 2016 10:39 AM
WTB-Model Diesel Fuel slogo Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Nov 13, 2004 10:42 PM