Model Diesel Engines - Page 12 - RC Groups
Jun 29, 2009, 07:07 PM
Warren, a very nice collection of Mills. They all look like they are new. Obviously you are giving them the care and nurture that a fine old engine deserves.
Do you use anything other than (ether, kerosene) castor oil lubricant in your fuel?
Years ago I had a Mills similar to the one in the bottom left of the first picture. I ran it too hard and fast on a 5x3 prop and broke the rod.
It really was a nice little engine, very easy to start and a steady runner.
Perhaps if you get time, one engine at a time, multiple pics, to show us all their wonderful “lines”.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2009, 08:01 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R
Warren, a very nice collection of Mills. They all look like they are new. Obviously you are giving them the care and nurture that a fine old engine deserves.
Do you use anything other than (ether, kerosene) castor oil lubricant in your fuel?
Years ago I had a Mills similar to the one in the bottom left of the first picture. I ran it too hard and fast on a 5x3 prop and broke the rod.
It really was a nice little engine, very easy to start and a steady runner.
Perhaps if you get time, one engine at a time, multiple pics, to show us all their wonderful “lines”.
If you still have the remains of the motor it can be repaired
Jun 30, 2009, 04:27 AM
Hi John,
I use a reasonably standard brew 40/35/23 with about 2% DII (I think it's iso propyl nitrate). The Mills don't need the addition, but the others like it.
I don't use after run which does tend to make the engines gum up ion teh castor after a while, just gives me an excuse to give them a run (I don't need much of an excuse).
My Mills 75's run on 8x4's or 8x3's. I've tried 7x4's experimentally but theyuse the tank too fast. Can't imagine running a 5x3 - must have screamed. That's the size I use on my Schlosser 0.25 (1/3 the size of the Mills).
Jun 30, 2009, 01:12 PM

ETA 5 someone say thumper?

Here's my ETA '5' (5cc) about 1948. This one is a real thumper. As you can see it has a choke & cutoff. It swings a massive 16 inch prop & is quite easy to start once you have the technique sorted. NV open 3 turns, back comp off a little,choke almost closed, ex prime... 4-5 flicks later she's away. Open choke as it warms up while leaning at the same time and tweaking the comp...finally refill the tank again. All quite simple really
I did fit an OS prop driver as the original was just a washer on the shaft with no way of posotive drive I've never measured the rpm but I guess somewhere around 3-4000 rpm.
I believe they're quite rare because eta bought out the lovely .29 BB rear induction glow at the same time.
Incidentally I bought a czech repro of the ETA .29 & although it looks good quality it runs quite poorly. I read on a CL forum once that they required some 6-8 hrs running in??

cheers
Simon
Jul 03, 2009, 06:43 PM

A Rothwell, not an Oliver

Here are a few more pictures sent from Peter in Australia.

A ROTHWELL 250 - zoom in on the jpg - crankcase marked R 250.

Enclosed for interest a further attachment, see http://www.smrpl.com.au/

The other smaller engine is an MP Jet 0.6 cc, about the size of the above PAW

The PDF files contain aditional info on each diesel.
Jul 03, 2009, 07:26 PM
John, thanks for the photos and the tip document for the Rothwell 250 engine. I have the little MP Jet diesel I got from David Owen. A nice little engine. Also a GB also from David Owen shown on the test stand. The GB has been flown in a Playboy Cabin for sport flying. I have not built a model for the little MP Jet at this time. Jack
Jul 03, 2009, 07:46 PM
must be the cleanest test stand I have ever seen. Mine was a thick black oily mess until i soaked it in some dishwasher powder and hot water. Whats the blue prop?
cheers
Simon
Jul 03, 2009, 08:14 PM
Simon, the blue prop is a Master Airscrew 8/3. I clean the test stand after every use. I let the engnes set a day or so with the piston down and then oil up with automatic trans fluid. In the 1950's and 60's I would use engine oil or 3 in 1 oil. I have never had an engine gummed up with castor. Jack
Jul 03, 2009, 08:27 PM
Here is my Playboy Cabin with the GB. Also flown with reproduction Oliver Jaguar 2.5 cc diesel. Jack
Jul 03, 2009, 08:51 PM
Here is a photo of my Playboy Cabin and Oliver Jaguar. Also Allan Laycock holding Glen Poole's Viking with a PAW .15 diesel. Allan was visiting the USA from Australia in 2004. Jack
Jul 04, 2009, 08:18 AM
I'm completely diesel illeterate but I ran across this on another forum.

http://www.ronald-valentine-engines.com/

This guys smallest homemade/handmade is 1/10 the displacement of a TD .010.

These things are little jewels with prices to match.
bill
Jul 05, 2009, 04:41 PM
PAW running and maintenance instructions.
Davis Diesel Instructions

Sorry about the poor quality of the Davis instructions. Open in PhotoShop; boost the contrast and sharpen the text and they will be easier to see.
Jul 05, 2009, 04:47 PM
John, the PAW instructions are on their website. PAW instructions
Jul 05, 2009, 05:05 PM
Here's a copy of a booklet inserted with an issue of Aeromodeller sometime in 1965.
The first page needs to be rotated clockwise to view.
Jul 05, 2009, 10:32 PM
Barton model products also had an excellent 'engines of the world' poster for 1 or 2 pounds.Not sure if its still available. I have one on my workshop wall. Mostly from Aeromodeller but a good reference.