Jan 25, 2020, 04:05 PM
Geoff, wonderful work - you are a true artist. The test rig is yours anytime ... might have to strengthen it a bit though ... and get Andy to make the table a bit stronger.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2020, 07:49 AM

Mills 1.3 comparison

I did some test runs today with my two Mills 1.3cc diesels. I will share the numbers as someone else might find them useful.

Both engines are equipped with throttle units. The first one is the original Mills 1.3 mk.2 series 2 engine with an original Mills throttle unit. The second engine is the Irvine Mills 1.3 engine equipped with an Enya 09 throttle unit. Irvine engine has seen about an hour of running so it is just about broken in now.

Both engines were ran with 10x3,5 TopFlite nylon propeller and rpms I got were:

2700 - 6200 for the original Mills
2200 - 6800 for Irvine Mills

Original Mills engine slows down quite slowly to the 2700 idle, it stays a while in about 3200 and then drops off to 2700 ish. Irvine on the other hand idles very solid and can achieve even 1800rpm idle. Need to test more with more accurate throttle control as now I did just thorttle them with my index finger.

Irvine unit is over an ounce heavier though than the original.
Jan 26, 2020, 02:29 PM
Newbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Potter
I finally got the ED and Tiapan cases to the tig machine and stiched them up . The ED case lug came up very well after machining it back with no distortion at all , the guy was very pleased . The Burford took a bit more effort to get right as the thread was ruined for the back plate as well as the lugs missing . After I tiged it , I then set it up on a mandrel and machined a new thread and made a back plate to suit . I think I could have put a bit more (2more runs ) on each lug but I wasn't going back so left it as is . New piston , liner lap , new contra , new rod , prop nut and washer , venturie and NVA and as good as new . I also finished and ran the OS 15 D that I made the rod (26.5Chris ) and other bits for . Nice engine , will never be a collector but hey , I've now got one . I wanted to deiselize the V12 (brand new ) Fiery and take it to Oily this year , (wonder if Ed would have let me use his mounting board ) but they wouldn't let me , and then hung it in front of this piece of junk .
Goeff, have you got a bead blaster, that will bring the case back to brand new. Mine will remove any marks on the case and blast them back to original by adjusting the air pressure.
Jan 26, 2020, 03:21 PM
It's winter here and we get plenty of time to maintain the fleet. I bought this ED Bee, rear rotor, cleaned it up, have not run it yet but hopefully it's a performer. Serial numbers on the front of the case are 1D 396 9. Do they indicate year of manufacture or? The 2 VA replicas I have not run, very nice though. I repaired the wing on my Dakota biplane and cleaned up the DC, ready to fly again, home club, Woodstock.
Last edited by Frank Klenk; Jan 26, 2020 at 08:59 PM.
Jan 26, 2020, 03:51 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Frank, you have ED Bee #396 made in April 1949.
I'm an ED Bee addict and I really think the 1949 ones are the best. They have a very nice alloy tank which, unfortunately, appears to be missing on yours, but it should be a super little engine.
I'm in the middle of building a "Tomboy", to be powered by a 1949 Bee, which reminds me that Vic Smeed's original Tomboy was powered by a 1949 Bee, so you're in good company!
Jan 26, 2020, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
Frank, you have ED Bee #396 made in April 1949.
I'm an ED Bee addict and I really think the 1949 ones are the best. They have a very nice alloy tank which, unfortunately, appears to be missing on yours, but it should be a super little engine.
I'm in the middle of building a "Tomboy", to be powered by a 1949 Bee, which reminds me that Vic Smeed's original Tomboy was powered by a 1949 Bee, so you're in good company!
How does the tank fasten or what does it look like? Mine has a threaded hole in the back plate center.
Jan 26, 2020, 08:19 PM
///////
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Klenk
How does the tank fasten or what does it look like? Mine has a threaded hole in the back plate center.
The picture (mid page) show how its attached:
http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Eng...201960-61.html
Jan 26, 2020, 09:04 PM
Have just forgotten at the moment but the screw holding the tank on the Bee will be either 8 or 6 BA.
Don’t jam the wrong screw into your backplate and ruin the thread.
Use a screw correct length and or cut to size and use a fibre washer on the rear to obviate leaks.
Tanks are available in particular the clear plastic variety.
Friend of mine was desperate for a Bee tank and let people know on this forum and he had one sent to him in a week or two.
Jan 26, 2020, 09:34 PM
Frank,

Be aware that the intake tube on Bees are just press fitted into the backplate, sometimes not very tightly, and the tank helps support the rear of it. If you run it without a tank, and yours is a bit loose, a smear of Loctite will help keep it in place.

Paul
Jan 27, 2020, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
....which reminds me that I must scan a load of tests for Brian at Sceptre.
I have it on good authority that he'd be much appreciative of any new tests .
Jan 27, 2020, 03:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Klenk
Frank, Have a look at this link, on Sceptre. It's exactly your engine with complete diagrams showing exactly what you need. Note that the original tank retaining screw is actually light alloy, not steel. Also, only the first 1/4" of the shank is threaded, not the entire length.
This engine test should show you everything you need to know!
Link:
http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Eng...%20Mk%201.html
Jan 27, 2020, 05:59 PM

Bee & Hornet Repro Tank and NVA

Listed on the notorious online auction forum, UK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/model-air...-/293370180146

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/model-air...-/293364943634
Jan 28, 2020, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Listed on the notorious online auction forum, UK.
Derek, I think this is repro stuff "that fits", if you want to use the engine, but that doesn't look anything like the original parts, if you want your engine to be "original".
To be fair, I'm only judging by the eBay photos, I've never seen them for real but, in any case, the engine we're discussing should have an alloy tank.
Jan 28, 2020, 02:59 AM
Also, those repro tanks require you to drill the hole in the correct position for the intake tube. That's why they give you 2!
Jan 28, 2020, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wy8w
Also, those repro tanks require you to drill the hole in the correct position for the intake tube. That's why they give you 2!
Exactly what I was thinking

Quick Reply