Mar 04, 2011, 04:35 AM
That's great Gluehand, you will love your Schlosser for sure!
Look forward to see what you fly it in (they MUST be flown!).
Flew mine in the little yellow and red thing last Saturday down at our club, to general amazement.
I got carried away with the moment and filled the tank more than usual - 3 or 4 cc, must have been up for more than 10 minutes. That's a long time for a 20" 8 ounce plane in a stiff breeze!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2011, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren B
That's great Gluehand, you will love your Schlosser for sure!
Look forward to see what you fly it in (they MUST be flown!).
Waiting is a painful thing....

As I have a couple of project to finish first, this cannot top my list at the moment, but definitely it will be flown....no real plans yet, but probably it will be something high-winged, floaty....'Vic smeedish'....
I also have to find some really lightweight rc-gear to weigh into the overall calcule....

Mar 05, 2011, 12:20 PM
This is way off-topic, I know......the kerosene beeing the sole possible connection to this thread....
I just couldn't resist sharing it here, among the engine people....

A since long popular vehicle at my latitudes beeing subject to some 'development'
This shot of a test lap was taken last weekend....

Raketspark på Orsjasjön 2011/3 (0 min 40 sec)
Last edited by Gluehand; Mar 05, 2011 at 12:32 PM.
Mar 05, 2011, 12:33 PM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Gas turbines On Ice - hope it doesn't get too popular ! Thanks GH
Mar 05, 2011, 09:24 PM
Thread OP
Gluehand, that's just what we need to start these little diesels in cold weather.
Might help to warm the hands too, if you don't get too close.
Mar 06, 2011, 10:57 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!

Kalper 0.32 cc - a little gem

Here is my treasured Kalper 0.32 cc - starts beautifully and runs like a well-oiled sewing machine on a 6" x 4". Next home is to be a Keil Kraft "Pirate", 2 channel radio (can't risk losing it!) conversion.

Mar 06, 2011, 01:18 PM
Thread OP
Sundancer, what lovely little diesel; it’s nice to see the venturi area as part of the crank case casting, rather than as an “add on” as previously shown. Is there enough fin area for cooling? What year/vintage is this diesel?
Mar 06, 2011, 02:17 PM
Sundancer, what a jewel..!!
(it makes me green of envy..)
It seems to be in good shape too..

I confess that apart from its name, I didn't know much about the Kalper, but I found some informative reading here:
http://modelenginenews.org/

The KK Pirate would be an excellent choice for the Kalper, my only concern beeing that large spinner (which really cannot be omitted on this model), that might require a bit of attention when fitted to such a small engine....

Very nice..!
Mar 06, 2011, 04:26 PM
John: The Kalper was first produced in 1948. Mine certainly runs cool enough and, as I said, is a beautifully smooth and consistent runner. Being a long stroke side port engine it isn't, of course, a high revving device, but turns the 6" x 4" prop enthusiastically and certainly produces enough grunt to fly any model that a 0.5 will fly.

Gluehand: Yes, the spinner on the Pirate is a bit of a problem - easy enough to make a blue foam or Rohacel one, but it would be big on a 6 inch prop. I would probably miss the spinner off - which is exactly what we used to do back in the fifties with our Pirates, Bandits and Outlaws - my brother-in-law and I had 2 Pirates, 6 Bandits and 3 Outlaws between us and never once fitted the spinner! Alternatively, after the sad death of Vic Smeed I was debating whether to built a "Cherub" instead.
Mar 06, 2011, 05:38 PM
More on small diesels:

The .375 cc Topsy, by Mr G.Hugh, was first introduced as a home builder's project in Aeromodeller (feb -69, i think).
It could be built with a fairly modest lathe/milling equipment (no castings), and among many others, I too became tempted enough to acquire a plans set with instructions...

Well, this is one of a zillion things now piled up, waiting for my retirement...

A nice engine though, worth to mention here...

Unfortunately, the higher resolution PDF is to large to post here....please send an e-mail, and I will post the "better one".....
Mar 07, 2011, 01:58 AM
Retirement is GREAT Gluehand.

On the other hand getting old SUCKS!
Mar 07, 2011, 08:44 AM

AE Engines

The AE sport diesels were produced by Allen Engineering and marketed by Irvine Engines in the UK around the late eighties/early nineties. Designer Dennis Allen had been responsible for the very successful Allen Mercury engines in the sixties, also plain bearing "sport" motors of 1, 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5 cc capacity, and was also heavily involved with the Merco glow plug engines.

There were six AEs - 0.1 cc, 0.2 cc, 0.5 cc, 1.0 cc, 1.5 cc and 2.5 cc. I had all of them except the 2.5. All the engines were almost identical in appearance, very attractive with black crankcases and polished cylinder fins, the smallest two had integral tanks and the 0.1 was radially mounted. The 0.1 and 0.2 had starter springs. I found my 0.1 very tricky, and although I ran it on the test bench never flew it. The other four though all flew, the 1.5 in a Frog "Talisman" control-liner, the 1 cc in a Smeed "Paageboy" with two function radio, the 0.5 free-flight in a Plecan "Hummingbird" and the 0.2 also free-flight in an Aeromodeller plans design the "Cicada" (by Hoh Fang-Chiun). I sold all the models, and all the engines except the 0.5 during a "down sizing" operation prior to our retirement move to France, as my flying was now almost exclusively electric. I kept the 0.5 as it was, in my view, the best of them all, and I plan to build something for it again, this time with radio. Here is my 0.5, I think it is quite a handsome little thing:

Mar 07, 2011, 10:00 AM
> On the other hand getting old SUCKS

Ahhh George .... it happens that way when you forsake free-flight and just drive airplanes around the sky thereafter. Life loses its incentives and challenges.

It's not too late......
Mar 07, 2011, 01:46 PM
Now Jim, I did my share of running about during fifteen years of intensive thermal soaring competing - this was in the days of hand towing and believe me a days contest flying, with a team, involved a lot of exercise, probably more than I used to get at the average Northern Area contest in the old free-flight days. However, with three quarters of an acre of rampant French garden to keep in check these days, R/C is for me. Just spent a happy hour flying the Spartan and Cardinal after a days hard labour digging out a new flower bed - certainly wouldn't have had the energy to chase a F/F! Found a thermal with the Cardinal and was promptly joined by 200+ cranes which were on their way north and appreciated a bit of uplift to help on the way. Magic.
Mar 07, 2011, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
Found a thermal with the Cardinal and was promptly joined by 200+ cranes which were on their way north and appreciated a bit of uplift to help on the way. Magic.
Sounds like spring is on its way........in a few weaks "your" cranes will land on this spot, gathering with fellow cranes, in this annual international "fly-in".....

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=58.31...6667,13.566667

...introducing the warm season even here...we all wait for it....

Last edited by Gluehand; Mar 07, 2011 at 05:32 PM.

Quick Reply