Thread Tools
Nov 29, 2019, 02:08 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by krafty
My telephone came in a box.
Ken
Steam powered is it Ken ?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2019, 03:14 AM
Registered User
krafty's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Stack
Steam powered is it Ken ?
Cela va sans dire.
Dec 01, 2019, 05:28 AM
My view over the back fence..
Aussie Steve's Avatar

Clanford Clan .24cc for sale


Hi All.

Just noticed a Clanford Clan .24cc for sale on Aussie FeeBay.

The seller says he built it along with 4 other. Read all about it here-
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Clanford...cAAOSwb5Zd2wTy

I have no conection with the sale, just an interested spectator.

Edit. Added picture
Last edited by Aussie Steve; Dec 01, 2019 at 05:34 AM.
Dec 01, 2019, 05:31 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve
Hi All.

Just noticed a Clanford Clan .24cc for sale on Aussie FeeBay.

The seller says he built it along with 4 other. Read all about it here-
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Clanford...cAAOSwb5Zd2wTy

I have no connection with the sale, just an interested spectator.
This is Fiery's friend up at Hervey Bay Qld.
Dec 01, 2019, 08:13 AM
Registered User
earlwb's Avatar
I happen to have this cute little UK made .48cc Clan engine too.
Dec 01, 2019, 02:54 PM
Registered User
I thought that some here may like to see this ad of diesels that were available from Polk's in 1952, and their prices in American dollars.

I think the specs on the E.D. racer are a bit optimistic.
Dec 01, 2019, 04:33 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wy8w
I think the specs on the E.D. racer are a bit optimistic.
Yeah, and the Comp Special image is of a Penny Slot. Shame they weren't adopted in the States, there are some super engines on that advert!
Dec 01, 2019, 05:18 PM
Registered User
I suppose the lack of readily available diesel fuel would have played a major part in it, even when diesels were in vogue a few years earlier. America did produce some fine diesels. Back in 1947-48 the UK didn't have anything to match the Mite 099 or Vivell Precision 10 or an Arden 099 with D-E diesel conversion head for power to weight. I've recently brought a Vivell back into running condition and it performs very nicely, even with the un-nitrated fuel containing ether/kerosene/mineral oil of its day. But an Arden 099 with glowplug and hot fuel is superior.
Dec 01, 2019, 07:18 PM
Registered User
earlwb's Avatar
Well model diesel engines were quite popular in the late 1940's into the 1950's here in the USA. The Drone .29 diesel was the champion's control line engine for a number of years. Several other diesel engines were sold and used at the time too, mostly for free flight though. OK and McCoy used to make them too. The Diesels got supplanted by the glow engine in the 1960's. Glow engines became the number one engine to get and use. People used to take their model diesel fuel can to their local pharmacy to get ether added to it. The pharmacist would add the ether to the castor oil in the can and toss in a bit of amyl nitrate too. Unfortunately the government started regulating ether and amyl nitrate. When the government gets involved it pretty much ruins it. Glow engines were becoming popular and the fuel wasn't regulated.

Unfortunately, during this same time period the Gotham Hobbies DEEZIL engines likely caused a lot of people to hate them in the USA. The engines actually got cheaper as time went on. But still none were any good. A few people did manage to get some very few to run, but the crankshaft would bend or break. There was no internet way back then, so word of mouth traveled slowly. But before long every region in the USA knew they were bad though.
Last edited by earlwb; Dec 01, 2019 at 07:31 PM. Reason: typo
Dec 01, 2019, 10:06 PM
Gas, Glow, Diesel & Kero!
ajcoholic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshannon
We could, except there aren't any telephone boxes now-a-days.

Johnny
Still some around here, John!
Dec 01, 2019, 11:46 PM
DJS Johnny
johnshannon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcoholic
Still some around here, John!
Way, way off topic. But, one of the jobs I worked my way through college on was as a janitor. One of the assignments was cleaning said phone booths. There is not a nastier job in the world. There is nothing one or more humans will not do in a phone booth.

Johnny
Dec 02, 2019, 02:04 AM
Registered User
fiery's Avatar

Clan .24 c.c.


Earl

Your engine was made by CS in China. It was made after the UK made versions.

How does it run?
Dec 02, 2019, 07:34 AM
Registered User
earlwb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Earl

Your engine was made by CS in China. It was made after the UK made versions.

How does it run?
Well that is a bummer. I haven't had the urge to run it yet. So I don't know if it runs or not.
Dec 02, 2019, 02:15 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by marisd
I suppose the lack of readily available diesel fuel would have played a major part in it, even when diesels were in vogue a few years earlier. America did produce some fine diesels. Back in 1947-48 the UK didn't have anything to match the Mite 099 or Vivell Precision 10 or an Arden 099 with D-E diesel conversion head for power to weight. I've recently brought a Vivell back into running condition and it performs very nicely, even with the un-nitrated fuel containing ether/kerosene/mineral oil of its day. But an Arden 099 with glowplug and hot fuel is superior.
Maris, respectfully, I think your post is misleading. Your nice-performing Vivell is one that you worked on and "put right"!
Years ago (eighties), I tried to run perfectly standard new Vivell and Mite diesels, and I couldn't get either of them to run, and this includes trying all sorts of different fuel mixes, propellers and ether contents...
For anyone that doesn't have your engineering skills (me!), the engine has to run as received, and the ones I tried certainly didn't.

From the same period, any Comp Special or Mills would start easily and run powerfully, while also being sufficiently robust to be fool-proof and crash-resistant (IMO, not really the case with an Arden or a Mite).

However, it's true that the American Micro, CIE and Air-O diesels are excellent, and the Drone of course... It's just that two of the three engines you mentioned were complete duds for me.
Dec 02, 2019, 04:33 PM
ffkiwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
Well that is a bummer. I haven't had the urge to run it yet. So I don't know if it runs or not.
They do run quite nicely-but not the easiest starting engines in my stable....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diesel Engines Aeromister Engines 23 Aug 16, 2019 08:03 PM
diesel engines wyflyer_55 Fuel Plane Talk 19 Nov 06, 2018 03:02 PM
Discussion Need help with two diesel engines ! cosmin Engines 13 Oct 22, 2018 04:04 PM
scale model of engines dw1122 Life, The Universe, and Politics 4 Apr 11, 2016 10:39 AM
WTB-Model Diesel Fuel slogo Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Nov 13, 2004 10:42 PM