Nov 25, 2019, 06:15 PM
Interesting. Reading both articles, there seems to be a disparity of some 15 years regarding the date of release of the first Clans.

Maybe, as Krafty suggests, Mr Clanford himself should be consulted. Does anybody here have contact details for the him?

Will the truth ever be known?

Dave
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2019, 01:17 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
I can't really comment on all this, as I've never liked this kind of modern pseudo-repro stuff and I'm not interested enough to investigate.
However, Mike told me that the Clan was made by CS, while chatting at Old Warden, in 2008-9, so it's quite possible that there was an earlier "nineties" generation.
Nov 26, 2019, 04:31 AM

Clanford Clan 0.25 c.c.

Gents

The text below is taken from the article written by Adrian Duncan. It appears in his review of the Scots built "Clan 0.9 c.c." from 1947/1948; in order to allay any confusion on the part of the reader. A ‘Rara Avis’ indeed.

http://adriansmodelaeroengines.com/c....php?cat_id=87

His by-comment on the Clanford Clan engines is instructive:

"Whenever we talk about the Clan engines, it’s necessary to deal right away with a potential source of confusion. In 1976 Mike Clanford supervised the production of a batch of 0.25 cc sideport diesels which were marketed as the Clan 0.24 cc diesel. A second batch was apparently produced in around 1992. In addition, the now-defunct CS company of Shanghai, China produced a number of replicas of this engine in several displacements."

Very helpful even though not totally accurate - as I don't consider the manufacture of two displacements from CS as being "several" - but that peccadillo aside, I believe Adrian's statement to be substantially correct. Now, does anyone have an example or photograph of the English built mid 70's product? I have never seen one.
Last edited by fiery; Nov 26, 2019 at 05:52 AM.
Nov 27, 2019, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davejones
Does anybody know who actually designed the original?
Apart from the possibly deliberate design flaw in the "original" originals, the 'working' design is actually a nice little engine.
Dave
And I would add that there is a flaw in Ron's drawings for the Clan because if built exactly to the drawings the con-rod fouls both the crankcase and the cylinder base and the engine will not turn over. Mark Lubbock, designer of the popular "Midge" reported upon this in his Clan build report on the MEN site. I have plotted con-rod movement on Ron's original TurboCad drawings and I can confirm that it is so. Builders beware, if the rod fouls, it is not your fault!
Ken
Nov 27, 2019, 03:40 AM
Quote fiery "Now, does anyone have an example or photograph of the English built mid 70's product? I have never seen one. "
The Clanford Clan does not appear in the first edition of Clanford's book published in 1987. I realise that if the Clan was produced in 1970's though not really vintage in 1987, I would have expected him to include it in his book.
Ken
Nov 27, 2019, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krafty
And I would add that there is a flaw in Ron's drawings for the Clan because if built exactly to the drawings the con-rod fouls both the crankcase and the cylinder base and the engine will not turn over. Mark Lubbock, designer of the popular "Midge" reported upon this in his Clan build report on the MEN site. I have plotted con-rod movement on Ron's original TurboCad drawings and I can confirm that it is so. Builders beware, if the rod fouls, it is not your fault!
Ken
Yes. I'd forgotten about the clearance issue. It has been documented by at least two, possibly three builders.
looking at my notes, I made the following changes to the drawings before starting my builds.
Changed the angle at bottom inside of cylinder to 35deg - on the drawing it is shown at about 45deg and changed the 3mm conrod shank dimension to 2.8mm.
Dave
Nov 27, 2019, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davejones
Yes. I'd forgotten about the clearance issue. It has been documented by at least two, possibly three builders.
looking at my notes, I made the following changes to the drawings before starting my builds.
Changed the angle at bottom inside of cylinder to 35deg - on the drawing it is shown at about 45deg and changed the 3mm conrod shank dimension to 2.8mm.
Dave
I changed the angle to 15 degrees and I left a 0.5mm wide land at the bottom of the cylinder. I also dremelled some material from the inside of the case at the top where the rod fouls. I left the rod as per the drawings because it is a nice substantial item. I have only seen one builder's report, the one by Mark Lubbock, and he had some fiddling to do to get the rod to clear the case. I do not have a finished engine yet, but as is my usual practice I put the parts together with a dummy slack alloy piston to check the build. It is always a pain to complete an engine to find a major problem at the final assembly.
Apologies to non-builders for this diversion.
Ken
Nov 27, 2019, 03:16 PM
DJS Johnny
Quote:
Apologies to non-builders for this diversion.
Ken
Ken,

Where exactly are "builders" supposed to gather?

Johnny
Nov 27, 2019, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshannon
Ken,

Where exactly are "builders" supposed to gather?

Johnny
Johnny, see that tree out the back...........
Nov 27, 2019, 03:35 PM
DJS Johnny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Stack
Johnny, see that tree out the back...........
Bob,

Very funny. And, I actually got the joke!

Johnny
Nov 27, 2019, 04:14 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Does it produce enough shade for that ?
Latest blog entry: Single Channel Case
Nov 28, 2019, 02:29 AM
I think we could gather in a telephone box, after all, there are not many of us.
Ken
Last edited by krafty; Nov 28, 2019 at 07:20 AM.
Nov 28, 2019, 11:13 PM
DJS Johnny
Quote:
I think we could gather in a telephone box, after all, there are not many of us.
Ken
We could, except there aren't any telephone boxes now-a-days.

Johnny
Nov 28, 2019, 11:22 PM
Thermals, Tom

yes, it can be difficult searching for diesels on eBay

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ngines-on-eBay
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
Nov 29, 2019, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshannon
We could, except there aren't any telephone boxes now-a-days.

Johnny
My telephone came in a box.
Ken

Quick Reply