Nov 22, 2019, 01:41 PM
A nice plus that it has the fuel tank. Other than the comp screw it looks just fine.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 22, 2019, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Looks OK apart from the comp-screw?
Aaah.....yet another flat countersunk "comp screw"..........this ED Bee MkI Series 1 arrived with the same bodge, although this owner brought technology a bir further by soldering a bit of piano wire.....
Nov 22, 2019, 05:53 PM

Davejones

I just sent you a PM.
Ken
Nov 23, 2019, 09:21 PM

DJME Clan .25 c.c.

I was humbled to be given this boxed set reproduction Clan .25 c.c., no.2 in the series. Quite exquisite. Last photo shows the complete set as supplied.
Last edited by fiery; Nov 23, 2019 at 09:41 PM.
Nov 23, 2019, 11:42 PM
ffkiwi
Fiery-I'm envious...looks even better than the originals

ffkiwi
Last edited by ffkiwi; Nov 24, 2019 at 02:45 AM.
Nov 23, 2019, 11:52 PM
ffkiwi

ffkiwi
Nov 24, 2019, 01:54 AM
Diesel Danny

Frog 50

I was just reading an ancient Aeromodeller magazine (February 1953) to remind me how to re-trim my Stomper after re-covering it and I noticed some interesting advertisements.

The E.D. Bee Mk. 1 shown has the later (no radial mount lugs) crankcase with a metal tank.

More amusing was the advertisement for the FROG 50. It said that it would run from 500-1500 rpm

* Danny M *
Nov 24, 2019, 02:35 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny mz
I was just reading an ancient Aeromodeller magazine (February 1953) to remind me how to re-trim my Stomper after re-covering it and I noticed some interesting advertisements.
The E.D. Bee Mk. 1 shown has the later (no radial mount lugs) crankcase with a metal tank.
* Danny M *
Danny, I think you're a bit mixed up. Where have you ever seen an ED Bee with radial mount lugs?
The advert you mention just shows a couple of out of date photos. The Bee and the Racer shown are not the current models, that's all.
Nov 24, 2019, 04:09 AM
Diesel Danny
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
Danny, I think you're a bit mixed up. Where have you ever seen an ED Bee with radial mount lugs?
The advert you mention just shows a couple of out of date photos. The Bee and the Racer shown are not the current models, that's all.
Oh dear, you are perfectly correct brokenenglish. I got confused after reading this when a Taipan got mixed into the discussion http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/vie...&highlight=bee.

The FROG 50 ad is embarrassing though.

* Danny M *
Nov 25, 2019, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffkiwi

ffkiwi
And it will certainly run better than the "original" originals.
Nov 25, 2019, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krafty
And it will certainly run better than the "original" originals.
Does anybody know who actually designed the original?
Apart from the possibly deliberate design flaw in the "original" originals, the 'working' design is actually a nice little engine.
Dave
Nov 25, 2019, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davejones
Does anybody know who actually designed the original?
Apart from the possibly deliberate design flaw in the "original" originals, the 'working' design is actually a nice little engine.
Dave
I think it was designed by CS, based on suggestions by Mike.
Exactly the same process as the Boddo Mills in fact.
Nov 25, 2019, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
I think it was designed by CS, based on suggestions by Mike.
Exactly the same process as the Boddo Mills in fact.
There is a story that Clanford persuaded someone in the UK to design the engine and a price for the work was to be paid. This unknown designer came to realise what kind of person he was dealing with it became apparent that he was never going to be paid. The story goes that by way of reprisal, the designer deliberately messed up the porting to prevent the engine from being a runner. This may of course be simply a story but it is certainly true of the early batch of Clans that they were incapable of running because the induction port was too high and it was open at bdc during the exhaust and transfer period. I thought they were made in the uk but I have no evidence of that. Why does someone not ask Clanford himself, but not me!
Ken
Nov 25, 2019, 04:36 PM
Ken, you must have missed an episode. Mike did tell me that the engines were made by CS.
Mike's original idea was to make available something like the Dragonfly diesels, sold by HJN in the late fifties and early sixties. In fact, the Clan is very similar to a Dragonfly, but with SP induction.
I think the early porting problem is more likely down to CS inexperience than to some unlikely and totally unsubstantiated tale of its being done intentionally...
In fact, copying the Dragonfly, the only thing that CS had to invent was the SP induction, and they got it wrong...
Nov 25, 2019, 04:53 PM

Clan .24 c.c.

Good evening Brian

According to the article by the late Ron Chernich in Ron's "Modelenginenews", the first production run of the Clan .24 c.c. was entrusted to an English precision engineering firm.

Maris Dislers, author of an article on the Clanford Clan engines in Adrian Duncan's model engine site, states: "the original Clan 0.24 cc diesels were made in England by a firm called Prototype and Precision Engineering. The availability of the engine was first announced in the February 1992 issue of “AeroModeller” ".

More here:

http://www.modelenginenews.org/nano/clan.html

http://adriansmodelaeroengines.com/c...php?cat_id=158
Last edited by fiery; Nov 25, 2019 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply