Nov 01, 2019, 04:10 PM
Having finished my 14 year old Sean Kinked Parkflyer conversion to brushless I decided to try run my Westbury Ladybird... that prop plate cone was totally wrong so making a proper fitting one... it's 2,5cc I think so what would be a good prop for it... something like 9x4 ?
ps : some simple machining for the prop plate cone and I found a fitting screw (step 28 but not a 1/4 aaah what a blessing those Brit non-metric sizes and so much simpler to use...)) As is often the case with those homebuilts the crankshaft was a bit on the short side... but I think the engine was originally intended to be used with a flywheel... so the only prop that could be used was this Simprop custom... made an adaptor and that was it. The needle clip was missing but we do have some carb bits... Will do a bubble-leak-test as well. It has been raining day in day out here so running will have to wait...
Last edited by Reginald; Nov 05, 2019 at 03:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2019, 02:12 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald
it's 2,5cc I think so what would be a good prop for it... something like 9x4 ?
Yes.
Nov 02, 2019, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
Yes.
Thank you... I am curious to see if it starts and runs well... but with that rainy weather now it'll have to wait
Nov 04, 2019, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edholly
You can drill hard as anything with an ARTU drill - looks like a masonary drill but is designed to be used on anything hard. Will drill holes in files or anything really hard, the specs say it doesn't work on soft materials. http://www.artu.com/multi-purpose-drill-bits.php I've got a set but rarely find a need for them.
At work I just resharpen masonry drills with proper relief angle on a diamond green wheel when I need to put holes in heat treated tool steel. This is typically done when someone forgets to put a start hold for wire EDM in a trim steel. You’ll have to touch it up a few times to get thru a 1.5” thick piece of D2, S7,A2 etc. but it is entirely possible.
Nov 06, 2019, 06:35 AM

Early PAW on eBay uk

Spotted this unusual so-called PAW on ebay uk.
The experts will know exactly what it is, [and no doubt will know the inside leg measurement of the maker's brother-in-law].
Those pillars twixt fins and case look a bit odd as they are greater diameter then the 3 bolts securing the fins. Must be tubular spacers I guess.
Is it actually a PAW? Nothing like it in Clanford's rough guide.
Ken
Nov 06, 2019, 12:24 PM
Yes Ken, it is a PAW. I can't remember the exact model, but it's at the very end of the vertical intake engines, this crankcase was produced (very few) in order to allow an RC throttle.
I think the spacer tubes are just to compensate for the collector/muffler ring that's been removed. Others will very likely know more than me, but it's definitely a low-production PAW crankcase, probably around late seventies.
I'm a "PAW fan", but I think it's a good illustration of the words of the late Keith Harris: "A lot of engines that are rare today, are rare because, at the time, they weren't very good".
Nov 06, 2019, 05:12 PM

Clanford "Clan"

The late Ron Chernich's drawings of the Clanford "Clan" call for 9ba [yes, 9ba] cylinder retaining screws and a 9ba comp screw thread, all this despite the drawings being dimensioned in metric units. I think some builders of the Clan have substituted 8ba which is a regular size. [Apart from 1ba the commonly used ba sizes are even numbers]. My guess is that the screws were actually 2mm metric partly because 9ba is almost unheard of, partly because 2mm is almost the same diameter as 9ba, and finally because I suspect with Clanford's Chinese connections, that the Clan was not made in the UK.
Does anyone know what the original screws were?
[Picture of current projects, Wilsco 79 and Clan, work in progress.]
Ken
Last edited by krafty; Nov 06, 2019 at 05:47 PM.
Nov 06, 2019, 07:02 PM
ffkiwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by krafty
The late Ron Chernich's drawings of the Clanford "Clan" call for 9ba [yes, 9ba] cylinder retaining screws and a 9ba comp screw thread, all this despite the drawings being dimensioned in metric units. I think some builders of the Clan have substituted 8ba which is a regular size. [Apart from 1ba the commonly used ba sizes are even numbers]. My guess is that the screws were actually 2mm metric partly because 9ba is almost unheard of, partly because 2mm is almost the same diameter as 9ba, and finally because I suspect with Clanford's Chinese connections, that the Clan was not made in the UK.
[Picture of current projects, Wilsco 79 and Clan, work in progress.]
Ken
krafty-I suspect Ron just measured up an original and assumed because Clanford was British-that the threads would be likewise.....2mm and 9BA are not just close-they're damn near interchangeable as I fortuitously discovered when making a repro tank for a Frog 50 and needed a long 9BA screw...finding to my delight that a 2mm one fitted the backplate threaded spigot like a glove....

You only have to look at some of the later CS 'Navo' engines to see the likely origin of the Clan .24

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Nov 07, 2019, 01:21 AM
Ooh yes... working in metric is soo damn difficult and confusing...
Nov 07, 2019, 02:34 AM
Ken, Mike told me that his Clan engines were made by CS, in China, so I would have thought that the threads would be metric.
Nov 08, 2019, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Ken
No idea what the original screws were but with my small crop of Clans, I've substituted 9BA with M2. Partly because the taps/dies are easier and cheaper to get and because, being slightly lazy, I could get nice looking screws to use as head bolts here:

https://www.accu.co.uk/en/cheese-hea...8-SFE-M2-25-A2

Dave
Last edited by davejones; Nov 08, 2019 at 01:14 AM.
Nov 08, 2019, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davejones
No idea what the original screws were but with my small crop of Clans, I've substituted 9BA with M2. Partly because the taps/dies are easier and cheaper to get and because, being slightly lazy, I could get nice looking screws to use as head bolts here:

https://www.accu.co.uk/en/cheese-hea...8-SFE-M2-25-A2

Dave
Thanks for that. M2 it will be for me.
I am very impressed by the quality of your work, and I admire your staying power to make more than one of anything !
How did you finish the 'case on the Clan in the image. The corners look to have their edges smoothed, so was it tumbled? That was how I used to finish bar-stock engines to disguise minute tool marks.
Excellent work. I will be happy if I do as well with just one Clan.
Ken
Nov 08, 2019, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Thanks for that. M2 it will be for me.
I am very impressed by the quality of your work, and I admire your staying power to make more than one of anything !
How did you finish the 'case on the Clan in the image. The corners look to have their edges smoothed, so was it tumbled? That was how I used to finish bar-stock engines to disguise minute tool marks.
Excellent work. I will be happy if I do as well with just one Clan.
Ken
Ken
Thank you for the kind words. It means a great deal to me coming from one of my model engineering heroes.
The Clan çases are finished by hand.
First a folded strip of 800 grit wet/dry (dry) to carefully break the edges and remove any machining marks.
Second is a green 'scotchbrite' pad.
Lastly a 3000 grit sanding pad. This is like very fine scotchbrite and not sandpaper. Purchased this years ago from an automotive paint shop. On aluminium this gives a lovely, almost polished, very fine matt finish.
Probably would be easier if I tumbled them. May have to build a tumbler one day. So many things, so little time.
I'm sure your Clan will turn out as well as your other engines - stunning!
Dave
Nov 13, 2019, 03:23 AM
Thanks for your kind comments, I have been called many things but never a hero!
This little Clan is a test to see if after an almost 13 year layoff I can still do it, and also a test to see if my little mini-lathe can do it.
Ken
Last edited by krafty; Nov 16, 2019 at 05:36 PM.
Nov 22, 2019, 12:18 PM
This water-cooled ED Baby has come up for sale locally by way of a sealed bid auction and I might try a bid?

Looks OK apart from the comp-screw?

Steve

Quick Reply