Oct 24, 2019, 09:42 PM
That's not a knocker - this is a knocker !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic

The video noise really starts from 2.20 on so turn up the volume

Deltic 55022 Powers Out of Kings Cross 11th Sept 2010 (5 min 42 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2019, 05:03 PM

Clanford Clan 0.24 c.c. built from the Motor Boys International plan

Clanford Clan 0,24 c.c. Model Diesel Engine (2 min 15 sec)
Last edited by fiery; Oct 27, 2019 at 09:03 PM.
Oct 27, 2019, 09:45 PM
C'est magnifique, Derek ...
Oct 28, 2019, 12:44 AM
It's not my effort Ed. I just shot the video. I'm challenged operating a pencil sharpener.

This is the original post by the constructor.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6#post42950019
Oct 28, 2019, 12:55 AM
Alpha Whisky
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
It's not my effort Ed. I just shot the video. I'm challenged operating a pencil sharpener.

This is the original post by the constructor.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6#post42950019
I`ve fondled one of them = and seen it running. A true work of art ......

Alan W
Oct 28, 2019, 04:18 AM
Three rare Diesels - first up, the DELTA, then the KOMET 11 and finally a BOS MORIN
Oct 28, 2019, 04:50 AM
Derek, guess l know what my next motor will be now !!
Oct 28, 2019, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edholly
Derek, guess l know what my next motor will be now !!
You might find 0.24cc to be a bit more of a challenge than your Owen based designs! Piston/cylinder fit is a wee bit more difficult. Why not make yours another twin?
Please post a build log in the normal way.
Ken
Oct 28, 2019, 05:49 PM
Ed's adjustable pin spanner is a good idea. I thought of something similar using a "King Dick" adjustable spanner (monkey wrench to the Americans). But the are glass hard.
A double size Clan .24 would b ea much less finicky to build. at 13mm bore an 15mm stroke, that would be 1.99cc swept volume. A nice size.
Oct 28, 2019, 05:57 PM

GB2 diesel

Here's a rare one. One of four Burford's 5.2cc (.32 cu in) GEE BEE diesels from 1948. Only around 50 made and four known to exist now. Geoff Potter fixed the cylinder bore taper an I made a fresh piston, plus replica venturi, NVA, prop driver/washer based on Peter Lloyd's example. The Drone Gold Crown, which inspired Gordon's engine starts and runs OK with fixed compression, but variable compression makes the GEE BEE so much nicer. A big teddy bear to start and operate.

My article covering the Aussie Drone-Type diesels will be in Engine Collectors' Journal in a few months' time.
Oct 28, 2019, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marisd
Here's a rare one. One of four Burford's 5.2cc (.32 cu in) GEE BEE diesels from 1948. Only around 50 made and four known to exist now. Geoff Potter fixed the cylinder bore taper an I made a fresh piston, plus replica venturi, NVA, prop driver/washer based on Peter Lloyd's example.
Great restoration. Looks awesome and sounds like it runs lovely too.
Dave
Nov 01, 2019, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Ed's adjustable pin spanner is a good idea. I thought of something similar using a "King Dick" adjustable spanner (monkey wrench to the Americans). But the are glass hard.
A double size Clan .24 would b ea much less finicky to build. at 13mm bore an 15mm stroke, that would be 1.99cc swept volume. A nice size.
But if anyone thinks of doing this, be aware that doubling all dimensions increases the swept volume 8 times, but doubling the bore of the carb only increases the intake area 4 times, so the carb bore will be undersized. If all sizes are doubled the carb bore should be muliplied by 2.83, not simply by 2.
I have been caught out in reverse when halving all 1cc Weaver dimesions and thereby making a 0.125cc engine with a carb that was too big and would not draw fuel.
Also if doubling the Clan I would be a bit wary of the 2-bolt cylinder fixing.
Nov 01, 2019, 05:48 AM
Quote:
But if you buy a small "monkey wrench" from one of the cheapo stalls on a market, I would suspect that the material would be rubbish and quite drillable. I may just give it a try as it would be less bother than making a pin wrench for each motor that I come across, which is what I do right now.
Ken
Nov 01, 2019, 11:07 AM

ED baby .46 running

Got the ED baby running today:

ED Baby .46cc 1953 with MA 6x3 3-blade (0 min 38 sec)

There is a good private group about diesel engines on fb that has some more info also. Feel free to join if you are using this devils app

Search for: model aircraft diesel engines
Nov 01, 2019, 03:45 PM
You can drill hard as anything with an ARTU drill - looks like a masonary drill but is designed to be used on anything hard. Will drill holes in files or anything really hard, the specs say it doesn't work on soft materials. http://www.artu.com/multi-purpose-drill-bits.php I've got a set but rarely find a need for them.

Quick Reply