Sep 15, 2019, 11:33 AM
Svetlana.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2019, 10:23 PM
My 1st R/C had 2 valves !

Yulon-30_Diesel.

From the November 1951 issue of Model Aircraft, This is the only published photo I can recall seeing of the Yulon diesel prototype. A rather hansom looking beastie, shame it did not get into production, but the glow-plugs were coming, as Peter Chinn comments in the "Accent on Power" column.

I wonder if it ended up in any-ones collection?
Sep 16, 2019, 11:26 PM

Clarendon Classic - Machinery, Truck and Hobby Show

Have been asked by one of the organisers to bring out some model engines and run them at this show this weekend at the Hawkesbury Showground. Unfortunately I will only be able to be there on the Saturday, so if someone could be there on the Sunday that would be good just let me know. I will have a spare ticket for the Saturday if someone wants to come along.

In preparation cleaned and ran some of these for the first time in some cases a couple of years.

These are the ones I ran - BollAero 18 - Owen Mate - Mills 1.3 - 2.5 ballrace version of a modified Owen Mate - Holly Sideport - Midge .8 - Type 14 - Owen/Holly Vee twin - Holly Buddy - Unknown 3.2 sideport. Left unrun the Inline twin, the ED Baby, the WeeDee and the small Vee twin.

Never been to one of these before but it should be pretty good. So if someone can take a few motors along Sunday and give them a run I am sure my mate would appreciate that. ................ Ed
Last edited by edholly; Sep 17, 2019 at 02:19 AM.
Sep 17, 2019, 12:38 AM
ffkiwi
Lovely work Ed-you've been rather productive over the past few years....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Sep 17, 2019, 08:16 AM
I intended going out to have a look Ed , so will look out for you . Was going on Sunday but now will go Saturday .
Sep 17, 2019, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraftyOne
From the November 1951 issue of Model Aircraft, This is the only published photo I can recall seeing of the Yulon diesel prototype. A rather hansom looking beastie, shame it did not get into production, but the glow-plugs were coming, as Peter Chinn comments in the "Accent on Power" column.

I wonder if it ended up in any-ones collection?
I searched through my pictures as I recall an old friend, Bud, was a Yulon collector. He had quite a collection and here are the pics, ahh but I do not see a diesel in the lot. I believe he gave the collection to a museum in Britain. 2nd pic are some of his diesels, again some rare stuff.
Sep 18, 2019, 10:14 AM
DJS Johnny

Fuel Ingrediants

I thought I would contribute what I know about the fuel ingredient discussion. To my knowledge the only fuel ingredients “banned” are tetranitromethane and hydrazine. Both for safety concerns. Tetra was first used by Craig Asher. His flying partner’s dad was a chemist and suggested its use along with the strongest of safety warnings. Bill Wisniewski famously used it at the 1960 F2A World Championships. The AMA banned its use after Harry Rowe of World Engines spilled some in his basement and had a lengthy hospital stay. The FAI did not ban it as such, but introduced “standard” 4:1 fuel to make the same fuel available to all competitors. To my knowledge tetraethyl lead is not banned for use. It is a safety hazard and should be used carefully. However, it was used in gasoline for a very long time. There are still many lead polluted areas next to highways. Nitrobenzene is not banned. However it is very toxic. It was used in speed fuel to make castor oil mix with high nitromethane content. It smells like the old liquid shoe polish. Its original use is as a dye set. You know it is very effective as such if you every got any colored fuel using it on white socks. The stain NEVER washes out. It causes damage to most internal organs and is particularly dangerous because it is easily absorbed directly into the blood stream by skin contact. The “good old days” were not so safe!

Johnny
Sep 18, 2019, 04:38 PM
Thanks John. I used nitrobenzene as a kid as couldn't afford amyl nitrate. Knew it wasn't healthy as when I bought it the Hobbyco guy mentioned it, but seems it wasn't the sorrt of stuff a 12 year old should be playing around with ! Wonder what happened to the bottle and remaining contents - Dad's garage was full of stuff like that ...
Sep 18, 2019, 08:28 PM
DJS Johnny
Quote:
Originally Posted by edholly
Thanks John. I used nitrobenzene as a kid as couldn't afford amyl nitrate. Knew it wasn't healthy as when I bought it the Hobbyco guy mentioned it, but seems it wasn't the sorrt of stuff a 12 year old should be playing around with ! Wonder what happened to the bottle and remaining contents - Dad's garage was full of stuff like that ...
Ed,

Did nitrobenzene and amyl nitrate perform the same function in the fuel. I remember the amyl nitrate and/or amyl nitrite being used. I also remember it was easy to buy at the drug store.

Johnny
Sep 18, 2019, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshannon
Ed,

Did nitrobenzene and amyl nitrate perform the same function in the fuel. I remember the amyl nitrate and/or amyl nitrite being used. I also remember it was easy to buy at the drug store.

Johnny
No! I suspect he's a bit confused. Nitrobenzene was a component in glow fuel only. Amyl Nitrate for diesel fuel was reasonably easy to get. Less than 30 Shillings ($3) for a Pint bottle at the Shell dealer in Sydney Australia in the early 1960's. Ether came from Ivor F in gallon tins.
Last edited by locktite401; Sep 18, 2019 at 09:46 PM.
Sep 18, 2019, 10:03 PM
At Hobbyco Amyl Nitrite, I don't think it was nitrate was super expensive maybe a pound for 5 oz - nitrobenzine was a lot cheaper and l bought a pint bottle l think it was. As a 12 year old a pound was a year's pocket money almost hence the nitrobenzine. Now you tell me it was for glow's !!! No wonder my Mk5 Taipan was a bit hard to start sometimes. I can tell you it was definitely nitrobenzene in a brown bottle. Used to get my ether from the chemist - what do you want that for sonny ? Model aircraft fuel - ok - how much do you want ... kero from dad's 44 gall drum and caster oil from my uncle's shop 5 or 7 oz bottles of medicinal castor oil. Later when I had glows as l could afford a battery to start them, a garage in Burwood sold methanol. The naivety of youth.
Sep 18, 2019, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edholly
At Hobbyco Amyl Nitrite, I don't think it was nitrate was super expensive maybe a pound for 5 oz - nitrobenzine was a lot cheaper and l bought a pint bottle l think it was. As a 12 year old a pound was a year's pocket money almost hence the nitrobenzine. Now you tell me it was for glow's !!! No wonder my Mk5 Taipan was a bit hard to start sometimes. I can tell you it was definitely nitrobenzene in a brown bottle. Used to get my ether from the chemist - what do you want that for sonny ? Model aircraft fuel - ok - how much do you want ... kero from dad's 44 gall drum and caster oil from my uncle's shop 5 or 7 oz bottles of medicinal castor oil. Later when I had glows as l could afford a battery to start them, a garage in Burwood sold methanol. The naivety of youth.
When I first got my Taipan 1.5 around late 1959, I'd get a mix of medicinal castor and ether from a local chemist who used to be a modeller. Never met him face to face. His shop assistant would take my bottle out the back and he'd fill it with equal proportions of ether and castor. He only charged a nominal price as well. I'd mix it with my dad's kero at home. Later in a club, we were fortunate in having Stuart Sherlock (aka "Joe Supercool" of propeller fame) as president. He was a Science Student at Uni and so knew his way around chemicals, fuel components and where to get them. He directed the mixing of the club fuels. Ivor F was a source for many of the exotic chemicals. One in particular was an effective component in "Taylor brew", a glow teamrace recipe published in Aeromodeller. We all used it until one member fell sick and went to hospital. A diligent doctor traced the cause to the glow fuel and caused a fuss that it was available to under aged kids etc. Made the newspapers and caused a tightening of the availability of a whole range of chemicals. The kid was Warren Willing who went on to a very successful career in GP motor bike racing.
Sep 19, 2019, 09:16 AM

Propylene oxide

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshannon
Ed,

Johnny
Was Propylene oxide used to aid the ignition of high nitro fuels also?
Condo.
Sep 19, 2019, 09:18 AM

Irvine Mills ponderings.........

Er....what if I try to "clean" an Irvine Mills crankcase by using th anti-freeze cooking method....?
Key question is: Is the black finish ordinary "paint"........if so, this obviously wouldn't be adviceable........
However, turning the question.....should it be "ordinary paint", it wouldn't be too difficult to re-paint it after cleaning.......

So, what's the stuff that Irvine used for "blackening"....?

Thoughts...?....facts....?
Sep 19, 2019, 05:00 PM
DJS Johnny
Quote:
Originally Posted by condo
Was Propylene oxide used to aid the ignition of high nitro fuels also?
Condo.
Condo,

The short answer is yes, but you have to be very careful using it in combination with methanol. I know mainly about glow fuels, so I have moved my responses to the Glow Forum.

Johnny

Quick Reply