May 23, 2019, 07:57 AM
It must have a machinegun
Here are two engines described as VT10. The one on the right is apparently an experimental model with no separate cylinder liner. The piston runs directly in the steel crankcase. The crankcase is in top and bottom pieces riveted together at the split engine mount. Unfortunately the contrapiston has been screwed a little bit too far down to run, and no amount of priming and flicking will make it go back up. I can't physically push the contra up without drilling the rivets and splitting the crankcase, which I'm not going to attempt. A bit of a shame.

The other one has no markings at all, so I'm just assuming its by the Vella brothers and its called VT10. There is some family resemblance to the VT9.
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2019, 08:30 AM
DJS Johnny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaledown
Unfortunately the contrapiston has been screwed a little bit too far down to run, and no amount of priming and flicking will make it go back up.
If you remove the front and rear covers can you rotate the piston/rod assy 90 and let it drop out ?

Johnny
May 23, 2019, 08:39 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Apparently you're able to flick the engine over.
If that's the case, I would try initially screwing the compression down a tiny bit (i.e. increase compression), just to unstick the c/p. Then unscrew the comp screw way up, so that it's far from being in contact with the c/p.
The c/p is then definitely unstuck and you will also have slightly more compression, giving a much better chance of knocking the c/p back.
Then give a good prime and turn the prop gently, to make sure that it turns over without excessive force (damage), and give a few good flicks.
This procedure can even be repeated several times if needed, just making sure, every time, that the engine can be turned over without excessive force.
Try it. There's no risk and it's worked for me very many times over the years.
May 23, 2019, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Here are two engines described as VT10. The one on the right is apparently an experimental model with no separate cylinder liner. The piston runs directly in the steel crankcase. The crankcase is in top and bottom pieces riveted together at the split engine mount. Unfortunately the contrapiston has been screwed a little bit too far down to run, and no amount of priming and flicking will make it go back up. I can't physically push the contra up without drilling the rivets and splitting the crankcase, which I'm not going to attempt. A bit of a shame.

The other one has no markings at all, so I'm just assuming its by the Vella brothers and its called VT10. There is some family resemblance to the VT9.
Steel crankcase indeed, shades of the brothers Metkemeijer ! Seriously, are you sure?
If all the given advice fails, unscrew the cooling fins and heat the top of the cylinder with a moderate flame or a heat gun. This might expand the cylinder enough to allow a heafty oily prime and a good clout to free the contra piston. On the other hand, the engine as it stands is a none runner, so drill out the rivets, split the case and do the job properly. What is there to loose?
May 23, 2019, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP_blackfoot
Yes, as are also engines using the system of excentric crankshaft bearing which allows the crankshaft to be raised or lowered.
An example of this later system is the French Ouragan 3.36 cc engine designed by the Fargeas brothers.
And another using an eccentric crankshaft bushing was one of the Clan diesels, and the ultra-rare MS 2.4 diesel from the Model Shop Newcastle.
May 23, 2019, 02:22 PM
Quote:
I'm just assuming its by the Vella brothers

First 3 pics: Found these photos of VT 10 on my hard drive.
Next: A VT 9 (sometimes "VT-09")
The VT 9 l(to the left on your pic) looks like a forerunner of the "BX" range (5:th pic), which AFAIK was the last version in the timeline.

BTW: The BX was/is a good performer.
A year ago, we started a "new" 1.5 cc BX at the club, for a run-in, and we were all surprised to see this engine outperforming (by far) the contemporary Webra Record..... A really "hot" little engine....

Last pic: A cavalcade of "Vella" engines, as marketed in a Swedish mail order catalogue of 1961.
Here are:
Alag X-4
VT-8 (aka "Aquila Baby")
Proton 2.5 cc
...and the items 6331 & 6332...what I beleive are two VT-9's (really poor drawings...!)

Last edited by Gluehand; May 23, 2019 at 04:07 PM.
May 23, 2019, 04:40 PM
Quote:
If all the given advice fails, unscrew the cooling fins and heat the top of the cylinder with a moderate flame or a heat gun. This might expand the cylinder enough to allow a heafty oily prime and a good clout to free the contra piston
Yes, nothing beats heat and oil in this respect....
With the VT-10 though, we obviously see a "new" dilemma due to its unusual design.....

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Unfortunately the contrapiston has been screwed a little bit too far down to run, and no amount of priming and flicking will make it go back up
Sometimes I get a feel that this happens more often than not...!
As an engine gets "put aside", then maybe lying around in a hobby room or circulating on car boot sales etc.......EACH person that touches the engine just HAS TO screw the c/p down a little bit, of curiousity....!...and the c/p will end up deep down the bore...
Add half a century of storage to that, and we've got this situation....i.e. we've got a dead stuck engine requiring an "all the way" treatment before any attempt of running could take place....
May 23, 2019, 07:19 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Had a contra piston stick well down into the bore on an MP Jet .040. Really didn't want to disassemble, so tried heating the cylinder with a heat shrink gun, then turned the crank until the piston was at bottom. Added a little oil into the inverted cylinder, carefully turned the prop until the cylinder hydra-locked, and gently pushed the CP back up. Don't know how strong the crankpin and piston and rod on your engine would be, but it worked that time.

Ran it a couple of times and the CP stuck again. Haven't tried that trick again, will probably have to disassemble and fit things a bit better
Latest blog entry: Single Channel Case
May 23, 2019, 10:53 PM
It must have a machinegun
Thanks for the ideas. I'll give them a try.
May 24, 2019, 12:10 AM
Scaledown

In the ‘engine articles’ section of Adrian Duncan’s website, there is a dissertation on Hungarian engines. Reference is made to that unusual VT shown in post no. 16396 above.
May 24, 2019, 12:42 AM
Diesel Danny

Aquila Baby Seal

Here is another unusual diesel from Hungary that I used to own. I never had a use for it so let it go, bidding was intense

* Danny M *
May 24, 2019, 01:58 AM
Another Vella Brothers (Budapest) this FOK. Part of some engines given to me earlier this year so I did some cleaning up. That Fok does run very well.
May 24, 2019, 02:04 AM
Here is one engine I do regret a bit that I sold it when I was thinning down the collection : Lumir Polednik excentric compression fourstroke diesel
May 24, 2019, 02:08 AM
Has the kind gentleman in that beautifull Amboise/Loire region found time (and desire) to open up his Delmo diesel yet ?
May 24, 2019, 02:19 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Reggie, wait a minute! I'm just going to remove the comp. screw and lever, to show you the way it is. I'm not going to disassemble a Delmo. I never disassemble a "good" engine. I'll try later today.
Unlike many of us, I'm still working...

Quick Reply