Jul 19, 2018, 03:00 AM
Diesel Danny
If you are really stuck, this stuff works quite well. Plenty of advice online how to decant the good stuff from the can https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...-RE556468.html and it's not too expensive.

* Danny M *
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2018, 05:24 AM
Do the John Deere dealers in Australia sell it?
Jul 19, 2018, 07:45 AM
Guess Danny and Derek , are you guys that desperate for ether ? We just about swim in it here in Sydney , if you want some just ask , we can surely work out something to get it to you !
Jul 19, 2018, 09:25 AM
Did a bit of running-in the Redfin twin this afternoon... I noticed the left cylinder was running a little hotter than the right one. These Redfins are fine little engines really.
Jul 19, 2018, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffkiwi
Mine came mainly from Dave Banks in the UK or David Owen in Australia -from the early 90s through till the beginning of the next decade-the early VA Mills had plain cast metal cases--the later ones were blacked-all my VA Mills-I have two of the 0.4s and one of the 0.25s-were blacked. The 0.4s never gave any trouble whatsoever, the 0.5 was a pain-and the 0.25cc a total disaster. People such as David Owen admitted privately to me that "there was something not quite right about the 0.25cc Mills....but we can't put our finger on it" Anyway it took Jon Fletcher a lot of time (and a lot of my money!!) to sort the wee beastie out two decades later-I only got it back from him earlier this year-and it is still undergoing bench running. The only criticism I have of the VA engines in general is that the contras tend to be fitted a little bit looser than ideal-and after a bit of running get to a stage where they won't hold a setting-and a compression screw lock has to be made-one of the 0.4 Mills, my 0.24 Baby and the 0.25 Elfin all display this problem....a number of the others I have yet to run, so I can't say as yet whether the problem is more widespread in the VA range as a whole....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
My example of the ,25 Mills has good fits and runs well. It's the aluminum colored version. I guess they weren't all junk as received. Other than the previously mentioned quirk of slowing down when it's pointed up, it runs well, and has flown a model. I have taken it to work to demonstrate it, and have run it for at least an hour with no loosening of the contra, etc. Guess I got lucky.
Jul 19, 2018, 07:25 PM
Diesel Danny
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Do the John Deere dealers in Australia sell it?
Fiery, I purchased a few cans at the John Deere dealer in Albury and tucked them away for a rainy day, cost me about $10 each.

When the Control Line people come to Albury I put in my order for goodies so have adequate supplies. The link was intended as a possible source for people who who are not so lucky.

* Danny M *
Jul 20, 2018, 04:54 AM
Geoff & Danny

Thanks for replying. I am fine for ether and will pick some up at Oily Hand.

I just wondered as my local John Deere dealer does not stock the premium starting fluid. Perhaps there is not as much call for it with our year round warm climate.
Jul 20, 2018, 05:14 AM
The ProMeister start fluid, mentioned in #14996 is a Swedish trademark.
Its manufacturer is however Motip Dupli B.V. ([email protected]) , The Netherlands, thus making me suspect that the same product is available with other labels, in several countries.

I do realise that most likely there are several start fluids on the market, beeing suitable for "our" purposes.
It's just a matter of finding the "good ones"....
The "ProMeister" (or whatever its brand name would be) seems to be good value for money though, as 1 can provides 0.4 litre (14 oz ) of ether, for a fairly low price, something that the control line people over here have discovered....

For some reason, the John Deere start fluid doesn't seem to be available here....not even the JD dealers sell it....
Jul 20, 2018, 06:07 AM
I fly SLOPE landings are crash
Quote:
Geoff & Danny

Thanks for replying. I am fine for ether and will pick some up at Oily Hand.

I just wondered as my local John Deere dealer does not stock the premium starting fluid. Perhaps there is not as much call for it with our year round warm climate.
I use my diesel fuel to start stubborn engines.

It works better and has more ether than any of the commercial aerosols.
Jul 20, 2018, 09:04 AM
JD starting fluid is available at the Toowoomba dealer
Jul 23, 2018, 01:50 AM

John Deere starting fluid

Alpha Whisky has this old pressure pack. I believe it is the John Deere starting fluid used for the ether component in model diesel fuel when di-ethyl ether is not available.
Jul 23, 2018, 03:40 AM
perhaps some of you need this>>> Nulong Start ya Bastard starting fluid.. It always had more kick than JDSF.when used on a cold frosty morning...

https://www.nulon.com.au/products/ae...engine-starter

read product safety sheet .
Jul 23, 2018, 04:58 AM
Diesel Danny
Quote:
Alpha Whisky has this old pressure pack. I believe it is the John Deere starting fluid used for the ether component in model diesel fuel when di-ethyl ether is not available.
Yep, that's the same product that I purchased in Albury at the JD outlet. The can states it's 80% ether

On a similar theme; My neighbour gives me jealous looks when I pull out the 4 stroke mower and it fires with one or two lazy pulls. What he does not see is that I pop the air-cleaner off (in the garage), brush away the dust and give the filter a shot of about 5ml of model diesel fuel.

Re-assemble, take it to the driveway and voila

* Danny M *
Jul 23, 2018, 06:38 AM
Alpha Whisky
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny mz
Yep, that's the same product that I purchased in Albury at the JD outlet. The can states it's 80% ether

On a similar theme; My neighbour gives me jealous looks when I pull out the 4 stroke mower and it fires with one or two lazy pulls. What he does not see is that I pop the air-cleaner off (in the garage), brush away the dust and give the filter a shot of about 5ml of model diesel fuel.

Re-assemble, take it to the driveway and voila

* Danny M *
I`ve got a second can of this stuff - both brought over from NZ among my modelling gear when I moved here to Oz in 2008 .... I also brought my well-used Honda 4-stoke mower which still starts inside three pulls so I can keep this stuff for serious use if needed .....

Alan W
Jul 23, 2018, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by condo
perhaps some of you need this>>> Nulong Start ya Bastard starting fluid.. It always had more kick than JDSF.when used on a cold frosty morning...

https://www.nulon.com.au/products/ae...engine-starter

read product safety sheet .
I would buy it just for the name

Quick Reply