May 23, 2009, 12:12 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Thread OP
Discussion

Who is going to the SKSS ESL Contest June 6 & 7?

I will be running landing drills all day Saturday to get ready for the ESL contest at the SLSS field in Newark DE on June 6 and 7.

Right now it looks like there are 24 pilots registered. Room for 20 more I am sure.
http://www.flyesl.com/contest_regist...list.asp?cid=4

So, who else is going?
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2009, 09:13 PM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
I'm planning on it! See you there, Ed!
May 24, 2009, 06:57 PM

Discussion - Who is going to the SKSS ESL Contest June 6 & 7?

Be there or be square!
May 24, 2009, 09:43 PM
Thread OP
The registration schedule says we now have 26 pilots. It would be great if we got it over 30 pilots.
May 28, 2009, 03:34 PM
Thread OP
Where do you guys stay, or are you local to the contest?
May 28, 2009, 08:27 PM

Where to stay

There are several hotels in the Newark area if you’re staying over the weekend. Hotel #1 is the closest to the field. All are within a few minutes drive. Look forward to seeing you! Let's hope the weather is a little nicer than last year.

Lunch will be provided (for a small nominal fee). Follow this link for directions. We will have a Novice class.

iPhone and Android device users may enjoy the abridged website .

Tasks will likely be: seven minute duration (depending on conditions), runway landing, 30 minute working window, seven rounds per day, no round after 3pm on Sunday

We fly within the State Park system so there is an entrance fee: $3/day for Delaware registered vehicles and $6/day for non-Delaware registered vehicles.
Last edited by pteromorph; May 28, 2009 at 08:34 PM.
May 28, 2009, 09:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteromorph
There are several hotels in the Newark area if you’re staying over the weekend. Hotel #1 is the closest to the field. All are within a few minutes drive. Look forward to seeing you! Let's hope the weather is a little nicer than last year.

Lunch will be provided (for a small nominal fee). Follow this link for directions. We will have a Novice class.

iPhone and Android device users may enjoy the abridged website .

Tasks will likely be: seven minute duration (depending on conditions), runway landing, 30 minute working window, seven rounds per day, no round after 3pm on Sunday

We fly within the State Park system so there is an entrance fee: $3/day for Delaware registered vehicles and $6/day for non-Delaware registered vehicles.
I flew there 2 years ago and I don't recall any fee to get into the field. Something new?
May 30, 2009, 08:22 AM
I'm planning on being there. If any of you didn't get your F3b team T-shirt or hat, I'll have some with me at the contest for sale. We've made good progress in fund raising but we still need a bit more to cover all the costs for the travel. I'll also bring my Team Jacket so you can see what those look like. They are really nice and adaptable to any situation.

Don't forget raffle tickets. A really good bunch of prizes. http://www.teamusaf3b.com/raffle.html
Latest blog entry: Is-4 Jastrzab Build
Jun 01, 2009, 06:10 AM
Thread OP
OOOOOh, we now have 30 pilots registered for SKSS. Cool!

Anyone know if the field will be open for Practice on Friday?
Jun 01, 2009, 05:26 PM
Thread OP
I just took a look at the weekend report for Newark, DE

Weather forecast is for sunny skies, high 70s with wind in the 5-8 range both days.
http://www.weather.com/weather/weeke...nav_undeclared

Man, I hope that holds!
Jun 01, 2009, 07:07 PM
We have 30 flyers scheduled for our contest this weekend. There are 18 Expert, 11 Sportsman and 1 Novice flyers entered. This would be a great opportunity for any glider flyer in our club to sharpen their skills, have a great day and possibly win an award. We have 4 novice awards for each day and one contestant. You only need a sailplane of any type that has a tow hook to fly in the contest.

One of the sportsman or expert flyers can be your mentor. He can launch your plane, hand you the transmitter and talk you through the flight. All you have to do is fly the plane around and land. Very low stress and a lot of fun!

NOTE - revised contest task. We will try Man on Man this year; landing task: runway. We will likely fly seven rounds per day and no flight after 3pm on Sunday. Groups of four pilots - luck of the draw. Lunch will be provided (for a small nominal fee).

The weather looks extremely promising, not what we had last year!
Jun 02, 2009, 06:53 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
Is the address that I should enter into my GPS?

State of Delaware State Parks:
White Clay Creek Park
425 Wedgewood Rd Newark, DE 19711

Gary
Jun 02, 2009, 09:06 PM

Directions to the field

You can find the field by following these directions .

We are in Newark, Delaware at the intersection of Paper Mill Road (route 72), and Smith Mill Road in White Clay Creek State Park. Our coordinates are 39 deg 43′ 40.61″ N, 75 deg 43′ 59.00″ W.

From the Delaware Turnpike-I95-(Either Direction):
Turn West on Rt.273 (Exit 3)
Take the “Red Mill Rd.”exit, and go North on Red Mill
Cross Rt2(Kirkwood Hwy) – You are now on Polly Drummond
Go to top of hill
Turn left on Fox Den (opposite Polly Drummond Shopping Center)
Turn right on Paper Mill Road
Next left (about 1000 ft) is entrance road to White Clay Creek State Park
Our gate is opposite the second driveway to the Farm House
Jun 03, 2009, 09:26 AM
Thread OP
PUt in the coordinates and you should be fine. Or put in Fox Den and Papermill and your GPS should be able to find that.
Jun 08, 2009, 06:00 AM
Thread OP
Well friends, if you did not attend you missed a fantastic weekend!

We had 33 pilots, beautiful weather, and wonderful field conditions. Lunch was a feast with burgers, dogs, sausage, chicken, salads and more. Just wonderful!

I don't think the steady breeze every broke 6 mph and if a gust broke 10 either day, during the contest I would be surprised.

The SKSS and ESL folks did a wonderful job with the winches, running the line, and keeping the contest moving.

I think we flew 8 rounds on Saturday and 6 on Sunday. I left the field around 3 PM on Sunday and was in my Driveway in NY at 7:15. And that included some ugly traffic at times.

SKSS, you can count on me to be there next year!

Ed Anderson

Quick Reply