May 21, 2009, 06:32 AM
Thread OP
Question

Removing residue of covering film from a composite surface?

Hi,

I have a 2nd hand Graphite 3.1m wing that was covered fully (over the carbon/kevlar D box and over the built up section). I know from numerous pictures that the original wing only covered the built up section and the D box was left bare.

So in an effort to restore the wing to it's old original self, I am looking at recovering the wing.

What is the best way to remove covering film residue from a composite surface? I figure that it has to be easier than removing residue from a wooden surface.

What should I use?

Cheers
Glen
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2009, 07:13 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
I've done this several times on similar construction. If it's the adhesive/color you are removing try various solvents. IIRC denatured alcohol worked well. MEK, acetone, laquer thinner should work fine also. I try to keep my rag damp but not wet. No reason to flood the area with solvent.

Sean
May 22, 2009, 07:56 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for that Sean,

I'll give those a go. I was a bit wary of using Acetone but I'll try that last. I think I'll try eucalyptus oil first (I use this to remove sticky tape residue and it works a charm), then methylated spirits to clean of the eucalyptus oil. OR just try the methylated spirits first before the eucalyptus oil. Denatured alcohol is also on my try list too.

Thanks again
May 23, 2009, 06:46 AM
Just be sure to clean the are well with something that leaves no residue. I keep a can of Prep-Sol around which is used in the Auto finish business to clean a surface of all wax/oil. It comes in a variety of names.

Also, when I go to recover that type structure I paint on a little Balsarite (for covering) over the composite parts to be sure it sticks well.
May 24, 2009, 02:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola
Also, when I go to recover that type structure I paint on a little Balsarite (for covering) over the composite parts to be sure it sticks well.
Yeap I was planning to use balsaloc which is my favourite (I like it because it is water soluble, so not messy to sponge on and clean up)
May 24, 2009, 05:44 AM
I've never tried Balsaloc. Sounds like a great product. Gonna do some checking to see where it is available here.

Quick Reply