Apr 03, 2011, 12:20 PM
Thread OP
Well it had to happen, my son accidentally broke the original mast at the mast join & desperately wants his boat back in the water, looked on-line & could not find replacement masts so decided to make one up out left-over carbon fibre from one of my other projects.

Head crane is made from 6 mm aluminium tube with 100 mm sliding inside the mast, easy removal for sail replacement.

Could not be bothered making entire new square mast foot to go into the deck step, so cut the goose neck mast sleeve down the middle and kept the base with the square pin, then wrapped little carbon around the entire goose neck to bond it to the mast ....works like a treat & best of all the mast is stiff as you can get it and 20% lighter than the original mast (80 vs 100 grams)

Back in the water for another season 20 + years after it's orginal purchase ..amazing

Cheers K1
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2015, 10:23 AM
canceled
Last edited by telixx; Feb 15, 2015 at 10:35 AM.
Feb 21, 2015, 06:59 AM
Masterfully rebuilt. congrats! Fine looking FW, might I suggest a planked cockpit floor? Just completed mine and really pleased with the look. This rebuild of yours inspires me to build in all the details as I construct a FW900 out of the box this year. See fairwind 900 build log for pics. Happy Cruising.

Quick Reply