This thread is privately moderated by crxmanpat, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 31, 2010, 10:37 PM
hey crxmanpat is there any diffenence in using a 6x4 vs an apc thin 6x4?i have regular 6x4s and my uncle has apc ones and his has a lit more bite,mabey that could be my power problem.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2010, 10:51 PM
Slow Flyer
the 6x4 "e" is a little thinner and does appear to have more teeth than the 6x4 sport. The difference in performance is minor. On a 2212-6 and 3s, either will scream. My buddy and I run both.
Jan 31, 2010, 11:28 PM
Foam abuser!
Thread OP
Yes, you definitely want to get the "E" version of the APC 6X4. It is a little stiffer and won't flex as much at high rpm.

I stock APC "knock-offs" in my store:

http://www.nicohobbies.com/store/ind...roducts_id=247

Pat
Last edited by crxmanpat; Apr 21, 2014 at 03:34 PM.
Feb 01, 2010, 09:43 AM
so no apc thin like the ones at grayson?
Feb 01, 2010, 10:23 AM
Slow Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeflyer94
so no apc thin like the ones at grayson?
If you are interested in a 6x4, this is the one you want.

APC Speed 400 6x4
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/speed-p-402.html
Feb 01, 2010, 10:54 AM
does it matter how far down you muont your prop adapter on your motor shaft,as long as it is on tight?
Feb 01, 2010, 05:02 PM
Foam abuser!
Thread OP
Yep, just get the prop adapter as far on the shaft as possbile, then tighten. DO NOT overtighten the adapter! I have broken one by wrenching down on it. Just get it good and snug.

Pat
Feb 02, 2010, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliTB
profilefan...I used a Don's Wicked 3000kv motor with an apc 4.1x4.1 powered by a 4s 2150mAh 20C battery.
Thanks for the info, what was your all up weight? I actually just bought the exact same setup

I was planning on using it for a jetset f-18 parkjet but its kinda of heavy, like 25 oz.
Feb 02, 2010, 07:21 PM
Minister of R/C
profilefan...My AUW was between 17-19oz. It sounds sweet as well. The guys at my flying field love my X-41.
Feb 09, 2010, 03:57 AM
boerie roll
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Another good paint is the water-based acrylic craft paints...
Pat, do you thin the acrylic for hand painting?

Marcel
Feb 09, 2010, 09:02 AM
Foam abuser!
Thread OP
Marcel,

No, not when I'm painting it on freehand. If I were to use an airbrush, I'd thin with water or alcohol or clear window cleaner.

Pat
Feb 09, 2010, 11:50 PM
boerie roll
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Marcel,

No, not when I'm painting it on freehand. If I were to use an airbrush, I'd thin with water or alcohol or clear window cleaner.

Pat
Thanks!
Mar 15, 2010, 04:29 PM
Foam abuser!
Thread OP
Time for a bump. I did some more updates on the section talking about glue. Looks like Beacon has something new out called "Foam-Tac". I expect to see this in the craft stores soon. But www.rcfoam.com already has some on their site (as well as the original UHU Por).

Pat
Mar 29, 2010, 02:04 PM
Pat,

I know you use Testor's rattle cans quite a bit for painting your models. Do you find the need to prep the depron below with lightweight spackle and polycrylic? I've just about finished up Vleisie's awesome Draken and was going to try Krylon Fusion to finish it up. I'd like to keep it fairly light and not go through the whole surface prep procedure if possible but don't want the sanded foam area to soak up the paint. When I've used acrylics in the past I've also done the full surface prep but it is somewhat labor intensive and I'd like to skip it if possible. Thoughts?

Ben
Mar 29, 2010, 03:27 PM
Foam abuser!
Thread OP
Ben,

I've never prepped depron for painting, and it comes out nice. In fact, on areas were some sanding has taken place, you can see the marks if it was not sanded down using very fine grit paper.

If you didn't sand much, I'd say just go ahead and spray as is. If you did sand a lot, maybe hit it with a light coat of WBPU first.

Pat
Last edited by crxmanpat; Apr 23, 2013 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply