This thread is privately moderated by crxmanpat, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 31, 2009, 05:13 PM
Foam abuser!
Thread OP
I just edited post 2 regarding glue. I've been trying to get more Yardbird glue, but they've been out of stock for a while. But I found out they get it from a place called Beacon. It's basically the same stuff as Beacon 3-in-1 Advance Adhesive, and it can be found in craft stores (at least in the US anyways).

Pat
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2009, 05:24 PM
Foam abuser!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vleisie
Great thread Pat.

Will you please write something about how you do your hatches and also what control throws you use for maiden flights. Most of these designs leave that up to the builder.

Marcel
Marcel,

I completely forgot to add something about this. I'm at work right now, but I'll try to add pics tonight or tomorrow.

I typically use one of two different methods for my hatches, depending on the plane and location of the hatch.

Method 1 - I'll glue two "fingers" of depron to the inside of the forward section of the hatch, then glue in two strips of foam to the sides of the hatch frame to act as a support. Cut a half circle finger hole at the rear of the hatch. If you have a tight fit with the hatch, then you can usually just install it and it will hold on its own. If not, you can add magnets or velcro onto a tab of foam at the rear for security.

Method 2 - In order to protect the bottom of my planes from damage on landings, I cover it with 3M anti-slip tape. Sometimes, instead of the two "fingers" at the front of the hatch, I'll just lay the hatch in place and cover the entire bottom of the plane, then cut out the hatch except along the front. The anti-slip tape then acts as a hinge. Again, if it's a tight fit, you can just press the hatch in place. If not, use velcro or magnets.

My Draken has different hatches simply because of the design. On this I put the tape on the outer side of the hatch and it swings outward from the center and is secured with magnets.

Pat
Last edited by crxmanpat; Jul 23, 2014 at 12:07 AM.
Jan 03, 2010, 08:49 PM
Some pic's of the bottom hatch set up would be great! Thanks..
Jan 04, 2010, 11:13 AM

Bottom and top hatch

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but also want to share my experiences.
Here are some pics of hatch setup at my F-22 and Draken.

Torsten
Jan 04, 2010, 04:29 PM

Looks good!

That's kinda what I ws thinking of doing on mine as well...
Jan 04, 2010, 05:23 PM
Foam abuser!
Thread OP
Torsten,

That's very close to how I do mine as well. Although yours looks much better than mine! I just tend to slap stuff on haphazardly. But it works.

Pat
Jan 10, 2010, 07:16 PM
Slow Flyer
Pat:
Great thread!

Have you found that the UHU glue is strong enough (and rigid enough) for these planes? I am kind of reluctant to use it since it retains a lot of it's flex...and can be pulled apart once dry. I have used it for other foam applications, just not on the depron pusher jets.
Rob
Jan 10, 2010, 07:31 PM
Foam abuser!
Thread OP
Rob,

Yes, the UHU is great stuff (if you can find it). And if you do find it, MAKE SURE you have the kind for styrofoam (there are several different UHU Creativ glues).

I also like the Beacon 3-in-1. But it has acetone in it, so you have to be careful with it and not use too much or you'll melt the foam.

Pat
Jan 12, 2010, 01:48 PM
I just use hot glue on mine.Do you guys mount your battery on the bottom of the plane in front of the hatch?(on the inside of course)
Jan 12, 2010, 02:11 PM
Slow Flyer
It depends on where it needs to be to hit CG, but it seems that with most batteries it is in the forward-most position in the hatch area. But it is probably better to mount the battery on the wing (inside the hatch) as opposed to on the hatch itself. With the battery sitting on the hatch (at the lowest point on the plane) it could give you a pendulum effect.
Jan 12, 2010, 05:04 PM
Foam abuser!
Thread OP
It also depends on the plane as well. I've been able to keep my lipos inside the hatch on all planes except for the F-18. On that one it had to be about 1" forward of the hatch and I cut a hole in the fuse for it so that I would maintain lateral balance. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

Oh, and I put the velco on the wing section of the foam, not the hatch itself.

Pat
Jan 12, 2010, 05:10 PM
so you guys mount the velcro to the bottom of the wing,inside the hatch,so it is dangling?
Jan 12, 2010, 05:15 PM
Foam abuser!
Thread OP
Yep. I always use enough velcro so that it is all the way across the length of the lipo. Holds well.

And here's a pic of the F-18.

Pat
Last edited by crxmanpat; Jul 20, 2011 at 05:12 PM.
Jan 12, 2010, 05:33 PM
Foam abuser!
Thread OP
Here's a pic of my F-22. The black velcro is where the lipo goes. That location is for a 2200 pack. The 1350s I also use go further forward, but are still inside the hatch area, not out on the nose.

Pat
Jan 12, 2010, 05:47 PM
do you see any performance differans in useing a bigger battery?

Quick Reply