Jun 20, 2009, 09:24 AM

Bidirectional tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I'm hearing some people are having trouble finding the bidirectional tape at their local stores. Here is a link to mail order it. I bought a couple of rolls of the 2" reinforced tape and it is enough to do at least 4 Assassins per roll.

http://www.findtape.com/product328/J...ping-Tape.aspx

Or here if you want to build a lot of planes

http://www.staples.com/office/suppli...=18-33277160-2

I have heard people have found the Scotch Extreme Tape (bidirectional tape) at Home Depot, Lowes and Staples for $7-$10 a roll.

I have been asked about the hxt 900 servos in the Assassin. They will fly the plane but the first hit in combat and they will be no more...or at least their gear integrity might be compromised. I use the 900s on the Peregrine wings and on the Capricorn and on the Snowball but I don't use them in combat or on the Peregrine tail. For these I use the HS82MGs.

Motors. Many different motors will work, I designed the stainless steel motor mount manufactured to fit the CF2812. You can add any holes you want to fit your motors. You want a motor with 20+ oz of thrust.
We couldn't find it Lowe's either and finally located it a the Office Depot in the packaging department for about $11.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2009, 10:11 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico John
We couldn't find it Lowe's either and finally located it a the Office Depot in the packaging department for about $11.
I had someone else tell me the same thing. I bought two rolls at Lowes about a month ago but yesterday they couldn't find it when I asked for help finding it.

The Scotch Extreme Tape is about 1/4" wider than the 2" tape I mail ordered and is also an excellent tape. The adhesive on these tapes is incredible and so sticky scissors gum up. I cut it from the back with a razor blade.

My wife says she found bidirectional tape at Staples. I'm not yet sure if it is the same thing. I'll try to find out today.

I have had several people say they found a bidirectional duck tape that is white. I bought some and it and it is heavy and tears easily and has a little stretch. We don't want stretch or tearing or weight so we need to stick with the Extreme tapes.

We have several new flyers that have had spectacular accidents without damage to the plane. In fact in combat I guess we intentionally do it all the time. If you have ideas on how to improve this design lets test them and get them out to everyone. I know that this plane will evolve over time. If we can make it better let's do it.
Jun 20, 2009, 11:26 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Hi friend,

I bought the foam cutter below and as I´m following this thread and would like to build my own wings, I would like to have some friend ideas to adapt this cutter to a anchored wing foam cutter. This one is a 39" span. Is it possible?

Thanks,
Luis.
Jun 20, 2009, 01:42 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
My wife just returned with a 50mm X 20 meter roll of the bidirectional Scotch Extreme tape from Staples. It cost $12.99. This is 3x the cost on line but if you are only doing a couple of planes it would work.

This is the lowest price per foot and has a great adhesive. I have bought 2" rolls of it here. You can buy many widths here if you want to go wider.

http://www.findtape.com/product328/J...ping-Tape.aspx

Here are some other places she found it.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-8959-Premiu...5522789&sr=8-2

http://www.business-supply.com/extre...src=amazonprod

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Applica...5522789&sr=8-1
Last edited by Lee; Jun 22, 2009 at 07:14 AM.
Jun 20, 2009, 02:22 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio
Hi friend,

I bought the foam cutter below and as I´m following this thread and would like to build my own wings, I would like to have some friend ideas to adapt this cutter to a anchored wing foam cutter. This one is a 39" span. Is it possible?

Thanks,
Luis.
Look at the foam cutting video. You could do something similar.

Lee
Jun 20, 2009, 03:00 PM
Hi Lee,

About the airfoil, see the picture please, it is what you mean?

"I cut my jig with those airfoils cut in the same jig. I don't use two jigs. The Assassin is using an airfoil similar to the Clark Y 18%."
Jun 20, 2009, 03:11 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio
Hi Lee,

About the airfoil, see the picture please, it is what you mean?

"I cut my jig with those airfoils cut in the same jig. I don't use two jigs. The Assassin is using an airfoil similar to the Clark Y 18%."
That is the old airfoil combination we used to use on the Wild Wing. It flies fantastic but doesn't offer the protection to the battery and radio of the new wings. We are using a thicker airfoil on the Pinatas and Assassin so the batteries are totally buried in the foam.

Try something more like this. Logic will tell you it won't fly as well. But it will.

http://www.ae.uiuc.edu/m-selig/ads/afplots/clarym18.gif
Last edited by Lee; Jun 20, 2009 at 03:18 PM.
Jun 20, 2009, 05:21 PM
I cut my hole for the battery extra small so it will not require velcro. I was afraid of damaging the battery wires so I added a bidirectional tape strap to pull the battery out with which I can tuck in the battery compartment. pics will follow after the paint job!
Jun 20, 2009, 06:29 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Hi Ben

I have usually been OK with the tight battery hole.

True story. I was in combat in a large school park and TJ (the master gamer with no remorse in combat) hit my plane from underneath so hard the plane ejected the battery which fell to the ground. The plane was no longer powered or under control and now tail heavy tumbled to the ground.

We picked up the plane but couldn't find the battery that had fallen. We looked for some time with no success. There was one garbage can that was near a grandstand that we had been walking around for at least 30 minutes. I finally dumped the can that was full of water bottles and food wrappers and found the battery.

This was not the only time I had TJ and others have knocked the battery out of my plane. I had one hit the parking lot one time and it was moderately damaged. If they land on the grass it usually is no big deal but if they land on pavement it's bad news.

Back when we Ultracoated the plane I would put a piece of 2" clear tape over the battery to hold it in the plane. The tape stuck well to the covering. After I started painting the plane I had the tape peel off some of the paint so we started to use the Velcro. Some of the flyers started making protective hatch covers.
Jun 20, 2009, 06:38 PM
Spektrum 6100 e style rx is only $40.08 AFTER shipping costs from bigskyhobby.com. Can't get that at Hobby King!
Jun 20, 2009, 06:40 PM
Sold! Velcro it will be!
Jun 20, 2009, 07:02 PM
Lee,

After disturbing you a lot with thousand of questions, I think now I´m ready to build your wing Pinata with this airfoil. I´m just waiting my foam order arrives, maybe on monday. Do you think I can build two or three wings?

I´ll have to make the anchor to my foam cutter, once mine has 39", I´ll anchor it at 36" as needed to this project.

Thank you so much and when I start I post the progress

Luis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
That is the old airfoil combination we used to use on the Wild Wing. It flies fantastic but doesn't offer the protection to the battery and radio of the new wings. We are using a thicker airfoil on the Pinatas and Assassin so the batteries are totally buried in the foam.

Try something more like this. Logic will tell you it won't fly as well. But it will.

http://www.ae.uiuc.edu/m-selig/ads/afplots/clarym18.gif
Jun 20, 2009, 07:26 PM

Combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Hi Ben

I have usually been OK with the tight battery hole.

True story. I was in combat in a large school park and TJ (the master gamer with no remorse in combat) hit my plane from underneath so hard the plane ejected the battery which fell to the ground. The plane was no longer powered or under control and now tail heavy tumbled to the ground.

We picked up the plane but couldn't find the battery that had fallen. We looked for some time with no success. There was one garbage can that was near a grandstand that we had been walking around for at least 30 minutes. I finally dumped the can that was full of water bottles and food wrappers and found the battery.

This was not the only time I had TJ and others have knocked the battery out of my plane. I had one hit the parking lot one time and it was moderately damaged. If they land on the grass it usually is no big deal but if they land on pavement it's bad news.

Back when we Ultracoated the plane I would put a piece of 2" clear tape over the battery to hold it in the plane. The tape stuck well to the covering. After I started painting the plane I had the tape peel off some of the paint so we started to use the Velcro. Some of the flyers started making protective hatch covers.
Gee wizz, I had talked to my wife about one day taking a vacation up to the Provo area and find everyone and join in the fun..... We'll need some more time at the stick before we brave flying the Care Bear with that bunch. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Love that hat Lee......
Jun 21, 2009, 01:45 AM

It's a plane, it's a bird, no it's a fast butterfly!

My assassin's paint job... I intended it to be loosely modeled after a monarch butterfly pattern but my wife's first reaction was that it was inspired by the 80s . Now I want more planes to paint - maybe a 70's polka dot, 60's zebra stripes, 50's retro.
Last edited by hobgood; Jun 21, 2009 at 01:56 AM.
Jun 21, 2009, 11:23 AM

Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobgood
My assassin's paint job... I intended it to be loosely modeled after a monarch butterfly pattern but my wife's first reaction was that it was inspired by the 80s . Now I want more planes to paint - maybe a 70's polka dot, 60's zebra stripes, 50's retro.
That's nice, I've got to learn how to paint. Don't get it near Lee though......

Quick Reply