Mar 27, 2013, 11:58 AM
AMA 937634
I agree, it doesn't look too bad at all.

Remember that these were designed to be combat wings so for many folks the blemish free look only lasts about 1 flight and then they'll be laying on tape and hot glue or whatever it takes to get them back up into the air quickly!

Also, for many of us, this wing was our introduction to learning how to fly a wing so there were many crashes before we finally got the hang of it.

As rhodesengr said, making sure the servos are well glued in is the important part. If they don't move you should be fine. Also, instead of purchasing the Du-Bro control rod guides you can simply use one of your extra servo arms to guide the control rod. Drill one of the holes out so the control rod slides through easily and then cut a slit in your plane and glue the extra servo arm into place.

-Mike
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2013, 12:03 PM
Great advice, thanks guys. I think once I get the control rod set I'll be much more confident.
Was flying brushless Zagi's back in high school ~10 years ago, def excited to get this going again.
Found a Tx battery pack btw so will get some work done and report back.
Mar 27, 2013, 01:35 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
What you have done should work.

I use the staple guides even on my big planes and they work great especially when the rod is compressed when the servo is trying to push the elevons down. I like to cut the hole in the foam smaller than the servo and wedge it in then glue it.

I have used a lot of different servos. It looks like you have the HXT900s or possibly the HXT500s installed. they will fly the plane but they do have fragile nylon gears that may not last. Right now the price of the MG90s is as low as ever. If you have any trouble with them trade them out rather than replacing gear sets.

USA warehouse. https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...strSearch=mg90

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9392

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...90%2Caps%2C220
Last edited by Lee; Mar 27, 2013 at 01:41 PM.
Mar 27, 2013, 03:11 PM
Thx for the reply, ya I think they're the 500s will have to check when I get home.
Will place an order for those MGs to have as backup if anything happens.
Mar 27, 2013, 03:29 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
The HXT500s will not have enough power for the size and weight of this plane if the plane is doing any aerobatics. The HXT900s do have enough power but will knock teeth off the gears with any impact.

Sorry you didn't get the other servos to start with. I have great luck with the MG90 and MG90S servos. I am glad the price is only $5. (The MG90 is slightly stronger)

We used to use the Hitec 82MG servos but locally they are over $21.00 a piece.
Mar 27, 2013, 03:53 PM
Wait hold the phone, just looked up an old email and I actually purchased:
T-Pro Mini Servo SG-90 9G Servo

How will those fair?

Also, are the videos on the first page still the best assembly method?
Would like to rewatch and need to figure out wiring and just want to go with the most tried-and-true method.
Mar 27, 2013, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpr123
Wait hold the phone, just looked up an old email and I actually purchased:
T-Pro Mini Servo SG-90 9G Servo

How will those fair?

Those look like an HXT900 with a different sticker.
Mar 27, 2013, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal
Those look like an HXT900 with a different sticker.
So basically just don't crash and I'll be OK, got it!
Mar 27, 2013, 07:51 PM
Quote:
So basically just don't crash and I'll be OK, got it!
Now where's the fun in that?
Mar 27, 2013, 08:39 PM

ASSASSIN on the Prowl

I maidened the ASSASSIN today in 14 knot winds over here in Florida..more wind than I wanted but the wing flew... had a 5.25 x 6.25 prop on a Power-up 370 motor. I built the plane true to Lee's instructions...1300 3s battery and MG90 servos. Flew to trim and break in motor today...four flights..enough break in.

Now I have deepened and lengthened the battery hole so I can put in my 1800 50c batteries..I will fly it (easy) with a 6 x 5.5 prop on Friday and order some 6 x 4's...the 5.25 x 6.25 prop may be underpowering..not sure yet as I have not tested wattage yet.. This is a flying tank...now its time to find some prey
Mar 27, 2013, 08:56 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
I wanted to say goodbye for a moment. I unsubscribed to all of my threads having to do with RC airplanes. I had to, I've been starting my day with a cup of coffee, a fresh pack of smokes and my RC threads.

I've made real friends on all of these threads, that have helped me and informed me I've allowed myself to become addicted to being with you.

It's going to be lonely for a while I know, but I must do this.

You all have collectively taught me how to fly RC airplanes and I thank you for that.

DJ.... A.k.A: kamikaze ace..."He Wares No Helmet!
Mar 27, 2013, 11:43 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
When someone goes on a diet they still have to eat something. Come back and visit every once in a while.

Good to have you around.

Lee
Mar 27, 2013, 11:46 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Here is a little better picture of Bill's paint job.
Mar 28, 2013, 02:27 AM
Flyboys Singapore

hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Hello Flyboys in Singapore!!!

Your planes look great. Are you airbrushing to get that look?

Thanks for posting the pictures

Lee
Hi Lee, I'm just glad U gave me the opportunity to own a plane as awesome as this. Btw all designs were done using spray cans and lots of masking and taping. hehehe if u do ever land in singapore, be sure to give us twinkle ya.

Quote:
Hello hello,
I'm returning to this thread after building an Assassin ~90% last year, ran into some issues (got frustrated) and let it sit for months.

Here's where I stopped:
http://i.imgur.com/XvIYven.jpg

First I messed up the servo install a few times and had to keep ripping them out and regluing leaving the foam cutouts too large (and lots of extra glue). My bigger problem is with the alierons/servo connection. The control rods are way too loose and the servos I got seem really jittery.
Meaning I can wiggle the ailerons up and down, the rod flexes but the servo isn't actually moving. Is that normal?

Closeup of servo:
http://i.imgur.com/hrLZ9lS.jpg

I took a video last night of the 'play' I'm seeing and will post later.

Any words of wisdom here?

On a completely unrelated note, I'm using an old school Hitec Flash 5 TX and my battery is shot. Anybody know a good place to get a cheap replacement?

Thanks and looking forward to getting her flying soon!
Sean
hey sean, that 9g TP servo should be able to take the job holding up although MGs is the best way to go. Just my 2 humble cents, u can try cutting up some hollow carbon tubes and use it to sleeve up yr linkage. this way the rod wont bend in any way cause the carbon should prevent it. the other way is my trusted linkage method. solid carbon+rod+strings+ca. pics attached
Mar 28, 2013, 02:30 AM
Flyboys Singapore

hmmm

forgot to add, the 2nd pic is the aftermath of my lastest flight casualty. my fren assassin's prop hit the linkage so hard that it ripped my servo off its case. lol good thing only the servo needs replacement. thats the point of this plane. fly more fix less.... am i right?????

Quick Reply