Oct 08, 2012, 08:49 PM
AMA 937634
6.5" back from the tip of the nose, Sculptor.

http://crashtesthobby.com/products/assassin

-Mike

Sorry elliot, didn't see your post.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2012, 08:51 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000
I think it's 6.5 from the nose, its in the instructions somewhere towards the last 2 pages
Thank you,

DJ
Oct 13, 2012, 06:36 PM
NorCal Prop Buster
Well as I wrote last week I've been very unhappy with the stock performance of my Assassin.
I then discovered I had been flying with the prop reversed, but only after I had replaced the stock motor for one recommended by the guys at HeadsupRc. So today I flew her with the new motor, a Powerup 370 Zoom with a 6x4E APC prop installed correctly.

WOW, OH BABY! This puppy is fast and flies awesome .
She's now way faster then my friends properly setup stock Assassin, and light years better then my original reversed prop screw up. Unlimited vertical and screams at full throttle and I still get 6 minutes of mixed flying!

Love it!
Blu
Oct 13, 2012, 08:13 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Having a prop on backwards is a fairly common problem, so is having the servos reversed on one or the other mixing options. But the winner of confusing set up problems is CG in the wrong position and too much throw in the elevons.
Oct 13, 2012, 09:54 PM
NorCal Prop Buster
That aileron point is well taken. Before I got my Assassin straightened out I tried increasing the throws and found right away that it would badly stall on hard turns. With them back to recommended she turns on rails. This is now one of my favorite planes and is bringing me much joy!

Blu
Oct 14, 2012, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer
That aileron point is well taken. Before I got my Assassin straightened out I tried increasing the throws and found right away that it would badly stall on hard turns. With them back to recommended she turns on rails. This is now one of my favorite planes and is bringing me much joy!

Blu
I was there ya all should have seen the grin on blu's face yesterday and that wing was flying really cool. The vertical pull was amazing
Oct 14, 2012, 12:12 PM
TOO MUCH FUN!!

Assassin ready for the maiden flight

Well, My Assassin is ready for its maiden flight.
18.5 oz Ready to fly
CG is at 6.5" from the nose
C3530 1700 KV Motor
HW 30A ESC
MG90 Servos
Nano Tech 1300 25-30C Batt

Winglets are installed since the weight came out a little high. I moved the motor mount forward to attempt to balance with the 1300 battery. Dual rates dialed down to 50% to get to only 3/8" movement.

This is the first wing I have built in over 10 years. We will see how it goes....
Oct 14, 2012, 12:59 PM
NorCal Prop Buster
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamyflyerr
I was there ya all should have seen the grin on blu's face yesterday and that wing was flying really cool. The vertical pull was amazing
It sure was great! Good thing you didn't go this morning FF, it was socked in, cold, and drizzling like crazy unlike yesterday. You did miss the Zagi flight and crash though that thing is going to drive Jim crazy! BTW, guess who's going to buy a 370 Zoom motor?

Blu
Oct 14, 2012, 05:46 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdad1
Well, My Assassin is ready for its maiden flight.
18.5 oz Ready to fly
CG is at 6.5" from the nose
C3530 1700 KV Motor
HW 30A ESC
MG90 Servos
Nano Tech 1300 25-30C Batt

Winglets are installed since the weight came out a little high. I moved the motor mount forward to attempt to balance with the 1300 battery. Dual rates dialed down to 50% to get to only 3/8" movement.

This is the first wing I have built in over 10 years. We will see how it goes....
We love the ballistic Assassins just be aware with this much thrust you will have a missile for sure. Which prop are you using?

With a 7x6 on a 3530-1700kv you will be at the limit of both the ESC and could possibly puff the battery.

I was test flying a similar set up a couple of weeks ago and when it was wide open throttle the elevons would stall with only the MG90 servos. I came around the back side of a loop going for a speed run for the Doppler and it wouldn't pull out with the MG90s. I hit a plowed field at 80+ mph. Plane was fine. It did leave a huge divot in the field.

If you are using the travel adjustment on the transmitter to turn the throws down you are not maximizing leverage. The control rods should be close to the center of the servo arm and at the tip of the horn on the elevon. The Assassin in question was not set up this way and I knew this before I flew the plane but the owner had been flying gently for a while without trouble so I thought we would be OK.
Oct 14, 2012, 06:31 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
The Assassin it built, never have done anything like this build, it was fun. I brought home the iron for the covering and my wife said "What is that for Doll cloths ?" She is so cute.

I've no excuse now, I've got to go fly it. It's hard for me to imagine me actually being able to fly this plane.

So here is my plan:
1. Take plane to my private, double secret air Field.
2. Take plane out.
3. Power up plane and ck it.
4. Get back in car and get my nitro tabs from the arm rest and put them in my pocket.
5. Launch plane from wing edge. Trow wing just hard en ought to make launch wing just keep up with outer wing. Not sling it and have it spin around and come back at me - it might be indestructible but I'm not!
6. Fetch plane and do it again and again and again until I can place this plane on the air going up and away from me. But not flying it yet (it will become part off my exercise program).
7. If this is a success and i can launch it this way and give some power and not flip it and fly it to ground I will this launch and take it up into the sky.
8. Object in first flight is DON"T LOOSE IT! Then do it again.

That's my plan. I'm in flight training, 'buddy boxed' on a 63" Cessna 182. I started teaching myself to fly using a Bixler Sky Surfer, First one 27 flights and 15 crashes then decided to join our flight club and have an instructor. But I want to fly more than this and the new Bixler 2 power glider and the Assassin will be my private 'flight trainers.

I've had moments of great joy and more moments of stress. I've going to be able to try a lot of things with this plane without the 'crash fear factor' and this could put the fun in this effort and maybe if I can keep it in the air teach my reflexes to become natural.

What do you think?

Name: Assassin finished-1.jpg
Views: 79
Size: 169.0 KB
Description: Name: Assassin finished-2.jpg
Views: 80
Size: 152.3 KB
Description:

DJ
Oct 14, 2012, 07:34 PM
NorCal Prop Buster
Looks fantastic! I'm in pretty good shape and coordinated but on my maiden I couldn't get a successful launch by holding on to the wing ends. Center of the nose, fingers under and thumb on top, overhand at 3/4 throttle and away she goes! Just get on the sticks quick what ever method you use. Also be sure to have the elevons adjusted with a little reflex, both ailerons slightly up as wings like to have. Have a blast!

Blu
Oct 14, 2012, 07:43 PM
Been There, Crashed That!
Thats one good lookin wing, when ya launch give it enough throttle so you can feel her pushing, then just hold her so the other wing is down a bit and just move your arm forward with the wing and let her go, ya dont throw it or spin it, your basically just holding her steady while she gains a bit of momentum, Good luck and have fun.
Oct 14, 2012, 08:28 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer
Looks fantastic! I'm in pretty good shape and coordinated but on my maiden I couldn't get a successful launch by holding on to the wing ends. Center of the nose, fingers under and thumb on top, overhand at 3/4 throttle and away she goes! Just get on the sticks quick what ever method you use. Also be sure to have the elevons adjusted with a little reflex, both ailerons slightly up as wings like to have. Have a blast!

Blu
Thank you Blu, I'll try and learn the 'sling thing' and if that's not working I'll try and thro it. But I also have this simple Idea I might try - a sling shot hooked to a plastic nose hook and my TX strap on. I don't know yet but I'm going to get it up there.

Yesterday I taught myself with help from vid's and postings from here to set up my TX = DX6i for elevons and switch assignments for other stuff and I had the plane nose down in a chair, after I had all control doing what I wanted I (out of order) shut off the TX first. The motor went to flat out, sucked up some papers below the nose and by the time I pulled the battery plug I was in a shower of confetti. I got that worked out, maybe. Then it happened again this time the prop chopped a hole thru the back of the chair.

I'm a monument and portrait sculptor, I can't let my hands get damaged, Like a musical instrument player, I'm carefully. I just started my 5th overlife sized portrait of Thomas A. Edison. Even my flight instructor at the feild knows not to remove my rubber band that holds back throtle untill we are on the flight line.com

Do you think that if I can't be consistent at wing launching I should be exploring the 'sling shot launch' Idea?

DJ, Kamikaze Ace (wears no helmet ).
Last edited by Sculptor; Oct 14, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Oct 14, 2012, 08:59 PM
wheeeeee!
Just get into the small, good habits from the very beginning. Rubber band on the throttle, a switch programmed to be an instant throttle brake (I leave it on until ready to fly every time), prop removed whenever you're not ready to fly, and a good launch method that keeps your hand not only far from the prop, but also not in the path of the prop post-launch. (I prefer holding the wing about halfway out, thumb on top, throttle up until the plane "wants" to go, then kind of pizza-toss it forward, throttle up, and get on the sticks.)

most of all... ENJOY! That's a killer design!
Oct 14, 2012, 09:00 PM
You should always disconnect the plane battery before turning off the transmitter. It will help prevent accidents like the one you mentioned. And if the plane battery is installed, act like the motor could turn on at any moment.

When setting up mixes for the elevons, remove the prop. That way, when the motor turns on unexpectedly, it is less likely to damage you or your property.

For launch, I think you are over complicating it with a slingshot and such. I've seen some people throw the wing without throttle then turn on the motor when the wing is well away from their hand. I go with holding it about 3/4 the way from the tip to the nose and give it a slight pull forward with the throttle at 1/2 to 3/4. Wingtip launches tend to make it spin on me, I end up tossing it like a frisbee. Jetpackninja helped me get going with that method.
Last edited by ttabbal; Oct 14, 2012 at 09:05 PM.

Quick Reply