Aug 05, 2012, 11:12 PM
Been There, Crashed That!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan
I know it would be nice. I'd like it too, but I'm just thinking he'd have to buy them at about $7/roll, sell them for at least $12 to make a profit, once you consider his own shipping costs/time/taxes/transportation if he's buying local, etc. ... and then relatively few customers want it, so it's a slow-moving stock, which is never great for business... and then he either can't seal up any kits for inventory until he knows who wants tape or not, or he seals up all the kits, and then has to put together a special box for the few that want tape... plus it changes the shipping weight of the box...

Yeah, I wish he had the option too, but I can see how it might not be worth it, from a business standpoint. My guess is this is exactly why he's not selling hot glue sticks, bullet connectors, razor blades, batteries, and all the other stuff you'll eventually need for the kit, either

BUT! Plane Insane RC does get into that kind of product, including the e-tape. Price is a bit higher than $7, but I bet his shipping is cheaper and faster than what you're experiencing!
Certainly couldn't be much worse lol, Thanks for the link, I just may get my next one from there.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2012, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I have received several E-mails asking which motors will give 100+ mph.

Open question to everyone....... Which motors have you tried to get the high prop speed and high MPH?
Assassin without fins:
MicroDan 2505 - 2500kv
1600mah 4s
40amp ESC
MAS 6x4

Doppler'ed 115mph. At those speeds the stock 9g servos struggle to overcome the air, response slows and you will need to bleed off some speed to maintain decent turning.
Last edited by nofreee; Aug 06, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
Aug 06, 2012, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Flyer
Has anyone tried a rewound FC-2812 with 4s?
Flew a stock CF2812 this weekend on 4s, seemed to take the extra volts very well.

Ran it with a APC 6x4, MAS 6x5.5 and APC 7x6 without issue. 7x6 started to get warm, but nothing crazy.
Aug 06, 2012, 06:02 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofreee
Assassin without fins:
MicroDan 2505 - 2500kv
1600mah 4s
40amp ESC
MAS 6x4

Doppler'ed 115mph. At those speeds the stock 9g servos struggle to overcome the air, response slows and you will need to bleed off some speed to maintain decent turning.
I just talked to a flyer who has a Reaper that he couldn't control. As we got looking at it his MG90 servos were stalling. I could stop the elevon movement with light pressure from a fingertip. Under the dynamic stresses of flight I am sure the elevons were more like weather-vanes that control surfaces. Realize that the MG90 is not a super strong servo it is just durable. It does stall if pressures get to high. I told this flyer to go to standard sized servos with at least a 4 kg rating for the higher forces.
Aug 06, 2012, 06:07 PM

Lee, which ones

" It does stall if pressures get to high. I told this flyer to go to standard sized servos with at least a 4 kg rating for the higher forces. "

Specifically , which ones are you thinking about Lee?
Aug 06, 2012, 06:11 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler
" It does stall if pressures get to high. I told this flyer to go to standard sized servos with at least a 4 kg rating for the higher forces. "

Specifically , which ones are you thinking about Lee?
Most of the servos I have in that size are name brand Futaba, JR and Hitec from my gas/glow days. I don't know much about the HK offerings at this time. so I would look at the specs and the customer reviews. Be careful with the cheapest servos out there but you can find some strong servos at good prices.
Aug 06, 2012, 07:48 PM

Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Most of the servos I have in that size are name brand Futaba, JR and Hitec from my gas/glow days. I don't know much about the HK offerings at this time. so I would look at the specs and the customer reviews. Be careful with the cheapest servos out there but you can find some strong servos at good prices.
Oh, the ole Futaba 148's or something - = standard servo . They are pretty big depth wise to use in the Assassin

I just used the ones y'all suggested - had to really glue them in well , as I found one loose causing me some grief , but after securing them deep in the foam with the hot glue - fairly sturdy now . Just don't be trying super highspeed in the turns
Aug 06, 2012, 09:02 PM
Flying Free

Fuse between battery and ESC not recommended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferndale Flyer
I finally got to maiden my first Assassin today. It was good and here is how it went.
Here are the stats:
AUW = 17.7 oz.
Motor = CF2812 from Heads Up Hobby
ESC = Exceed Proton 30A from Hobby Partz with a 25A auto fuse in line between ESC and batteryRx= Power Up 6 channel from Heads Up Hobby
Servos = Hitec HS 82 MG from Heads Up Hobby
Battery = Turnigy 1300 mah from Hobby King
Prop = APC 7 x 6 E
Cheers,
David
Not to pick on you for an old post(for something that might have been addressed), but...I was looking for something in this thread and your Fuse position jumped out at me.

Do you run a separate Rx battery? If not then you probably want to re-think having a fuse between the battery and the power to the Rx. If your fuse blows it will disconnect the battery from everything and you lose all control. Without the fuse you might, maybe still have power to the Rx even if the ESC shuts the motor down because of excessive amp pull. Also with a 25 amp fuse, it will surely blow before the 30 amp ESC would go bad. So you basically are protecting a $20 ESC while risking losing your entire wing and electronics. That being said I used to have a fuse between my old brushed 20 amp ESC and the battery. I moved the fuse to position it between the motor and the ESC, So if the motor pulled more amps, shorted, melted (due to pushing a 9.6 volt speed 480 motor with a 3S lipo (12.6 volts) batttery) , the fuse would blow and disconnect the motor from the ESC.

Just a suggestion - skip the fuse or position it between the motor and the ESC.
Aug 07, 2012, 09:37 AM
NorCal Prop Buster
Launching question
When launching by myself I was told to go full throttle and both times hit the ground using the boomerang style. Should I be going half or less throttle? When my buddy launches it for me from overhead center of fuse it takes off great at high throttle.

Blu
Aug 07, 2012, 09:43 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer
Launching question
When launching by myself I was told to go full throttle and both times hit the ground using the boomerang style. Should I be going half or less throttle? When my buddy launches it for me from overhead center of fuse it takes off great at high throttle.

Blu
If you spin the plane at all you will not have control. If you are having trouble launch from the center and don't hit the throttle till it is out of your hand.

Make sure your CG is right and that you don't have so much throw on the plane that you are stalling on launch. Both of these are common problems.

The trick is where you release the plane. I included Steel's launching method. He rarely misses but it is a little unorthodox.

How to Launch a flying wing (3 min 21 sec)

Steel's way to launch his flying wing (2 min 8 sec)
Aug 07, 2012, 10:55 AM
Montrose CO
Being somewhat new to wings what I found is that if the wing is balanced correctly it will launch easily. My method to check a new setup is to turn on the radio and receiver like you are going to fly but leave the radio on the ground. Use the two finger toss method and toss into the wind. If the wing will not glide without power flat and straight you are not ready for power. If it's trimmed right it will actually glide more than long enough to get to the throttle to add power. Adjust the trim until the wing glides straight THEN fly it. I've found it's much easier to trim the wing with the two finger toss than with the side toss because you are not introducing spinning forces. The side toss takes more practice and if the wing is not trimmed right learning the wing toss technique and the trimming process can get confusing. Are you spinning the plane or is it turning? Get it trimmed first.
Aug 07, 2012, 11:20 AM
With the CF2812 motor and a 7x6, I just hold the leading edge about 1/2 way down the length, set it to full throttle and just gently push it away from me, while keeping it as parallel to the ground as I can. It has enough thrust to just walk out of your hands, there is no need to fling or "frisbee" it. If done right, it will fly out of your hand perfectly level and make launching a non issue.
Aug 07, 2012, 11:56 AM

This said it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofreee
With the CF2812 motor and a 7x6, I just hold the leading edge about 1/2 way down the length, set it to full throttle and just gently push it away from me, while keeping it as parallel to the ground as I can. It has enough thrust to just walk out of your hands, there is no need to fling or "frisbee" it. If done right, it will fly out of your hand perfectly level and make launching a non issue.
Again, keep the wing level, hold it out for the air to take it as you power it up to half or so and push, not throw it into the sky. It will fly up and away giving you plenty of time to get to the right stick.
Good luck.
Aug 07, 2012, 12:43 PM

Woww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico John
Again, keep the wing level, hold it out for the air to take it as you power it up to half or so and push, not throw it into the sky. It will fly up and away giving you plenty of time to get to the right stick.
Good luck.
we had a low overcast this am , got my Assassin up on first try [ a first ] and with the 2812 9 turns I put on it , sucker went vertically and dern near lost it in the dark clouds ooops there it is and brought it back down to respectible altitude
Alot of fun to fly
Been reading your launch procedures , trying to get better at it and this am WOW first go and it went Yeaa
Aug 07, 2012, 01:14 PM

9 Turn 2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler
we had a low overcast this am , got my Assassin up on first try [ a first ] and with the 2812 9 turns I put on it , sucker went vertically and dern near lost it in the dark clouds ooops there it is and brought it back down to respectible altitude
Alot of fun to fly
Been reading your launch procedures , trying to get better at it and this am WOW first go and it went Yeaa
Ah, yes, the rewound motor; it barely gives enough time to get to the right stick before it goes out of sight. Really impressive, the increase in power, but no increase in weight.
Placing or pushing it into the air doesn't really happen with a rewound motor, more like it rips itself from your grip.

Quick Reply