Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Jun 09, 2011, 08:04 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Lee's Avatar
I helped three people trim in new planes this week. All of them had too much throw in the elevons and only one of them had wire guides to stabilize the wire so it wouldn't flex when the servo was pushing and the elevon was going down. One flyer had not glued his servos in.

Put the EZ connectors on the top hole in the horns and connect the pushrod to the second hole from the center on the servo arm.

We use bigger elevons to decrease drag with elevon movement and reflex. These big elevons can easily be set to move too much. If you can snap roll with full up then you probably have too much movement.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2011, 08:34 AM
Slow Flyer
Bombay's Avatar
Quote:
If you can snap roll with full up then you probably have too much movement.
But I love snap rolling with the Assassin. LOL.

Actually, it is a sight to see when do a snap (right stick to lower right corner) and then an immediate reverse snap (right stick to upper right corner).
Jun 09, 2011, 10:21 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Lee's Avatar
It is fun to be able to snap roll on demand but many of the low hour flyers do it accidentally if they have too much throw, especially on take off.
Jun 13, 2011, 10:22 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Lee's Avatar
Here is my latest Widowmaker video.

Widowmaker at Squaw Peak (music) 6-10-11 (6 min 50 sec)
Jun 13, 2011, 10:32 AM
BUZZ KILL
Plane Insane RC's Avatar
What a beautiful place to fly.
Jun 13, 2011, 11:43 AM
NKK for short...
nkkromhof's Avatar
Yesterday I was flying my Assassin when my RX cut out and I got to witness first-hand, the toughness of the Assassin.
I don't know (yet) if the RX went bad or whether I just went out of range (I was starting to come back towards my position, so I don't think so?).

But anyway, lost power, lost controls and watched helplessly as my Assassin fell victim to gravity...
Walked over, picked it up, dusted it off and was very impressed... The motor mount was bent and one of the servos had come loose and that was it...

Even though I nosed in vertically the battery is fine, the nose is fine, absolutely amazing...

Assassin Crash (1 min 45 sec)
Last edited by nkkromhof; Jun 13, 2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Fixed link, expanded description
Jun 13, 2011, 02:56 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Lee's Avatar
These planes are tough but WOW what a hit on that Assassin. The Assassin is the toughest plane I know of. It is light enough and tough enough it can take some serious abuse. I don't even think you hurt it's feelings. It likes to hit stuff!!!!

Thanks for kind words at the end.
Jun 13, 2011, 06:17 PM
Registered User
bamabaxter's Avatar
Hey Lee, you ever thought about getting T-shirts made? I would gladly buy several.
Jun 14, 2011, 12:54 AM
called into work, I'm AIRSICK!
JIMBAKER's Avatar

Finally I put a bomb drop on the WM


Hi Lee,

Thought I would share the bomb drop I put on the WM, my son said he had problems getting the rubber band thru the motor mount hole so he changed his to wrap around the back of the wing so I did something similar.

Here is the video of my first few drops, finally realized I needed to cut the throttle before the drop! DUH!

WidowMaker TP Bomber! (1 min 37 sec)


jb
Jun 14, 2011, 10:51 AM
Combat: You're doing it wrong.
chewbaccah's Avatar
ah, I am sensing a new combat event, drop toilet paper then try to cut it in flight.
Jun 14, 2011, 10:51 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Lee's Avatar
It looks like your bomb drop works well.

We tried the eye hook from a simple gate latch and glued it in the foam and put a wire from the servo through the eye that would pull out when the servo arm moved. We put a rubber band around the wire to get the same effect with different hardware. I never tried that configuration with the hook on the top of the wing. Great Idea!!!

The bomb drop set up with the rubber band is great because you can drop almost anything that has the right size and weight.

I drop rolls of toilet paper in combat and we may have it cut 4+ times before it hits the ground. The trouble is you have to go clean up the mess. Crape paper also looks good coming off the roll. Leave one end of the paper loose to start dragging the end to pull the rest of the paper off the roll.

Years ago I dropped a roll of toilet paper high in the wind trying to guess where it would hit near us and it came down and wound around me and my flight box from a very high drop. Tons of fun!!!!

I take rolls of toilet paper and cut them in thrids on my bandsaw so I am dropping less paper and have more things to drop. I put three rubber bands on the roll of paper and then make two cuts between the rubber bands to get three small rolls to drop.

Lee



.
Last edited by Lee; Jun 14, 2011 at 10:57 AM.
Jun 14, 2011, 02:11 PM
called into work, I'm AIRSICK!
JIMBAKER's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbaccah View Post
ah, I am sensing a new combat event, drop toilet paper then try to cut it in flight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
It looks like your bomb drop works well.

We tried the eye hook from a simple gate latch and glued it in the foam and put a wire from the servo through the eye that would pull out when the servo arm moved. We put a rubber band around the wire to get the same effect with different hardware. I never tried that configuration with the hook on the top of the wing. Great Idea!!!

The bomb drop set up with the rubber band is great because you can drop almost anything that has the right size and weight.

I drop rolls of toilet paper in combat and we may have it cut 4+ times before it hits the ground. The trouble is you have to go clean up the mess. Crape paper also looks good coming off the roll. Leave one end of the paper loose to start dragging the end to pull the rest of the paper off the roll.

Years ago I dropped a roll of toilet paper high in the wind trying to guess where it would hit near us and it came down and wound around me and my flight box from a very high drop. Tons of fun!!!!

I take rolls of toilet paper and cut them in thrids on my bandsaw so I am dropping less paper and have more things to drop. I put three rubber bands on the roll of paper and then make two cuts between the rubber bands to get three small rolls to drop.

Lee.
I just returned from the Dollar Store with two 4-packs of TP and 3 2-packs of Crape Paper rolls. Lee, your suggestion to cut the TP rolls in to thirds just made my 25 cent a drops into 8.33 cents a drop per sortie! NICE! I am sure the fun police will show up soon!

Your toilet paper story about it winding around you makes for a very hilarious image! Almost like Charlie Brown with his kits in the tree, and the string wound around him.

I am looking forward to the parachute drops for the grandkids next. I need to make assignments so they will get to work on their custom parachutes soon.

Thanks,
jb
Jun 14, 2011, 03:40 PM
Registered User
~~~JimBaker~~~~~~~~I just returned from the Dollar Store with two 4-packs of TP and 3 2-packs of Crape Paper rolls. Lee, your suggestion to cut the TP rolls in to thirds just made my 25 cent a drops into 8.33 cents a drop per sortie! NICE! I am sure the fun police will show up soon!~~~~~~~~~~~

You can always rewind it to save money!!
Jun 14, 2011, 04:52 PM
Slow Flyer
Bombay's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanBlue View Post
~~~JimBaker~~~~~~~~I just returned from the Dollar Store with two 4-packs of TP and 3 2-packs of Crape Paper rolls. Lee, your suggestion to cut the TP rolls in to thirds just made my 25 cent a drops into 8.33 cents a drop per sortie! NICE! I am sure the fun police will show up soon!~~~~~~~~~~~

You can always rewind it to save money!!
Or use it!
Jun 14, 2011, 08:10 PM
called into work, I'm AIRSICK!
JIMBAKER's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanBlue View Post
~~~JimBaker~~~~~~~~I just returned from the Dollar Store with two 4-packs of TP and 3 2-packs of Crape Paper rolls. Lee, your suggestion to cut the TP rolls in to thirds just made my 25 cent a drops into 8.33 cents a drop per sortie! NICE! I am sure the fun police will show up soon!~~~~~~~~~~~

You can always rewind it to save money!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
Or use it!
CB, That is a good idea, re-rolling it! more cost savings! or BB, using it, might be a little hard after cutting them in thirds, maybe I could tape them back together before using them.

For those harder targets I am thinking the full roll would be in order! In fact, with the Titan I am thinking three full rolls under each wing, with a sequencing pickle release. With a spotter I think I could do a fair job with one pass to toilet paper those homes, repeated passes = more risks of being discovered! I might need a single center roll holder for a test drop to see how much wind-age to use. LOL

jb


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Qjet Flamingo & Butterfly: A plane no one has!! romans1015 Parkflyers 3 Sep 04, 2016 05:47 PM
WALLY WING...no fins...flies great!!! gpw Foamies (Kits) 32 Aug 31, 2016 08:21 AM
Qjet Flamingo & Butterfly: A plane no one has!! romans1015 Parkflyers 6 Jan 29, 2004 04:05 PM
Noob concept plane Mikey C. Foamies (Kits) 5 Nov 11, 2003 01:05 PM
It's a boat...It's a plane...no! It's flightship! MrBungle Electric Plane Talk 24 Jun 26, 2001 01:55 AM