Jun 19, 2017, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Excellent examples.

Please give some pictures and more information. I would like to even put some of this information on our website.

Please show the camera and mounting on the plane. Also tell us more about your software and editing.
Feel free to use these on your site, Lee.

CTH Assassin - Velcro vs Dual Lock & Mobius Mini (2 min 17 sec)

Stabilizing HD flying wing footage (0 min 40 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2017, 05:45 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by goog View Post
I also use a safety cord of some sort in case the camera gets knocked off. I will connect the cord with a wrap of tape around the camera that ties the camera to the cord the tape the other end of the cord to the plane in a place that it is impossible for the camera to go through the prop.
Jun 19, 2017, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goog View Post
If anyone is curious about stabilization, this is 5% stabilization in premiere pro, nothing in the camera. It makes a HUGE difference! My mobius mini is just velcro'd on, so there was a lot of movement here.
That's an interesting comparision. Although my Assassin/Pinata looks smooth LoS, when recording HD video there is typically some of the same 'jiggling' that's shown on your unedited vid when flying at mid speed and above - I had rather thought it was me overcontrolling. I don't have the same issue with larger planes. Of course, unless the poster tells us, we can never tell whether their flight was silky smooth or it was all in the post production. I use Cyberlink PowerDirector but haven't really investigated the stabilisation option.

By the way, how do you find the Mobius Mini, I like the small form factor, but have read some negative comments about it.
Jun 19, 2017, 12:53 PM
Well I got a chance to fly the Dual Ducted Fan assain today ..

FIRST sorry no video I was going to try and record the second flight but the wind came up like CRAZY and we packed it up..

the maiden went off without a hitch.. NOW I used to fly it on REALLY high rates with about 30% Expo.. so I left it that way. my takeoff was less than perfect but saveable.. next time low rates for takeoff I over corrected a couple times..

once I got it trimmed in I was TOTALLY impressed. very very fast. flew PERFECT easy to control smooth.. BUT it was WAY quieter than I assumed it would be.

I got 4 mins flight time out of a 4s 2200 35c but it was a little warm when I landed.. so I think its going to need more c rating I did get on it quite a bit so that may have been why.. but I LIKE to fly a lot of wide open .

all in all it was FUN as heck got some great "WOW WHAT IS THAT" comments so it was totally worth it..

as soon as the wind dies down I'll try and get some video..

I also maidened my Widowmaker.. what a great flying wing!
Jun 21, 2017, 08:32 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
How hot is it there? I can guess you are over 100 degrees. That will affect how she flies too. Heat also has an effect on h ow hot your motor and battery run too.
Jun 22, 2017, 09:47 AM
Quote:
How hot is it there? I can guess you are over 100 degrees. That will affect how she flies too. Heat also has an effect on h ow hot your motor and battery run too.
you asking me?? it was pretty early it was only 85 deg with a good breeze so it was relativly cool. the battery I was using was a 2200 4s 35 c I think I need to find some 65 c batteries to really make this combo work well. right now motion RC is out of them not sure what others to use.. I WONT use hobby king batteries never had ANY good luck with them..
Jun 22, 2017, 02:53 PM
Foam is my friend!!!

Wet & Wild!!!

Just a thought????
Jun 22, 2017, 03:29 PM
Quote:
How hot is it there?
Here we go, Thursday Night Combat, supposed to hit 107 at start of combat tonight, but unlike last week, cooling off to 85 by 10pm, was over 90 at 10pm last week. Will be light on the throttle, or may prop down.
Jun 22, 2017, 05:40 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Prior to this video I had put the Hercules on the black tar road while I was flying other planes. The air was over 90 degrees and the road was probably 140 or so. I didn't think about the hot glue getting soft but the glue on the elevon horns got so soft the horns pulled out and caused the wreck.

If you are using hot glue, watch out for hot cars and hot roads this time of year. The failure was only with the glue not with the plane or electronics. I have had batteries puff in hot weather that did well through the cooler winter and spring temperatures.

Hercules 72 inch crash and unequal thrust 7-21-11 (5 min 20 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Jun 22, 2017 at 05:57 PM.
Jun 22, 2017, 05:58 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewZee View Post
Just a thought????
We have had flyers put floats under our wings before. I remember one who had skis for winter snow flying too.

I flew seaplanes for years and loved them. Just beware that EPP foam will soak up water.

Last edited by Lee; Jun 22, 2017 at 06:15 PM.
Jun 25, 2017, 11:40 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
I got asked if I really do recommend the Flysky i6 radio.

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...3Aflysky+fs-i6

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up one of the best selling radios of all time. I would buy one again.

Here is a thread. I recommend you don't do a lot of the modification unless you really know what you are doing. They work great just the way they come. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Telemetry-RSSI

I have two of them and just bought 6 more receivers. They make great buddy cord trainer radios and so far I have not had any brown out or signal drop.

The receivers have two longer antennas. I must admit that I find it a little more of a hassle to install the FS-i6 receivers with the longer antennas but once it is installed they work great. The idea is to put the longer antennas at different angles so that the plane always has an antenna at an optimal angle. I have these radios in all of my Rebels and recently put it in a Vertigo and one of my FPV Albatross

The TX runs off regular alkaline Aa batteries. It doesn't have an internal rechargeable option. I don't mind that the TX doesn't have a charger. I rarely have to change the 4AA alkaline batteries.

I really like the small size and weight of the TX. It is half the size and weight of a Spektrum DX-6i and it has all of the same features. Both radios have a little learning curve on programming but you get used to them.

I do like the "B" receiver better than the "A" receiver because the servo plugs are in the end rather than on the top.

https://www.banggood.com/FlySky-FS-i...op-buytogether

I have suggested to several different brands of radios that they make a smaller transmitter. So far Fly sky has the best hand friendly small transmitter I have seen for a 6 channel radio.

Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jun 25, 2017 at 11:46 PM.
Jun 26, 2017, 09:33 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I assume that radio won't work out of the box on my various E-Flite and HobbyZone BNF's? Half my planes are from Horizon. I think the UMX Radian would be my go-to new guy recommendation if a radio like the Flysky would fly it without mods. (Yes, I currently recommend the Albatross, but few total newbi's are looking to build.)

Someone with time on their hands ought to offer CTH planes built to PNP or BNF level as an income hobby.
Jun 26, 2017, 01:15 PM
Quote:
I got asked if I really do recommend the Flysky i6 radio.

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...3Aflysky+fs-i6

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up one of the best selling radios of all time. I would buy one again.

Here is a thread. I recommend you don't do a lot of the modification unless you really know what you are doing. They work great just the way they come. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Telemetry-RSSI

I have two of them and just bought 6 more receivers. They make great buddy cord trainer radios and so far I have not had any brown out or signal drop.

The receivers have two longer antennas. I must admit that I find it a little more of a hassle to install the FS-i6 receivers with the longer antennas but once it is installed they work great. The idea is to put the longer antennas at different angles so that the plane always has an antenna at an optimal angle. I have these radios in all of my Rebels and recently put it in a Vertigo and one of my FPV Albatross

The TX runs off regular alkaline Aa batteries. It doesn't have an internal rechargeable option. I don't mind that the TX doesn't have a charger. I rarely have to change the 4AA alkaline batteries.

I really like the small size and weight of the TX. It is half the size and weight of a Spektrum DX-6i and it has all of the same features. Both radios have a little learning curve on programming but you get used to them.

I do like the "B" receiver better than the "A" receiver because the servo plugs are in the end rather than on the top.

I have suggested to several different brands of radios that they make a smaller transmitter. So far Fly sky has the best hand friendly small transmitter I have seen for a 6 channel radio.

Lee
I also love the flysky! It's my first radio and I currently have 11 models in mine including quads, tiny whoops, ret planes, and flying wings. The control is great and the signal is strong. I often get 1/3 mile away where I fly and it works no problem
Jun 26, 2017, 02:43 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftflyerkevin View Post
I also love the flysky! It's my first radio and I currently have 11 models in mine including quads, tiny whoops, ret planes, and flying wings. The control is great and the signal is strong. I often get 1/3 mile away where I fly and it works no problem
Which receiver are you using on the tiny whoops?
Jun 28, 2017, 04:35 PM
FPV Lawnmower
after all the new CTH FPV wings were released - pinatta is getting no love in the forums

still loving mine 3530-1700kv, 7x5, 40A esc, 1800mah 4s

outside of my UMX stuff this is my slowest flying FPV plane - it will never have the roll rate or speed of my other wings but ohhh so fun!

Quick Reply