Jun 21, 2009, 01:53 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio
Lee,

After disturbing you a lot with thousand of questions, I think now I´m ready to build your wing Pinata with this airfoil. I´m just waiting my foam order arrives, maybe on monday. Do you think I can build two or three wings?

I´ll have to make the anchor to my foam cutter, once mine has 39", I´ll anchor it at 36" as needed to this project.

Thank you so much and when I start I post the progress

Luis
Please post pictures.

Lee
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2009, 02:00 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobgood
My assassin's paint job... I intended it to be loosely modeled after a monarch butterfly pattern but my wife's first reaction was that it was inspired by the 80s . Now I want more planes to paint - maybe a 70's polka dot, 60's zebra stripes, 50's retro.
I like the random paint and the colors. I'm going to be doing more of that kind of paint design in the future rather than dark solid colors. What you have done is going to weigh less that solid blocks. The random paint job will also help to hide combat rash and repairs. When you have a solid color every nick shows up.

Did you use a spray adhesive to get the paint to stick to the tape?

What kind of paint did you use?

Did you use an airbrush or paint cans?

I would like to start moving pictures of as many of the paint jobs as possible to one of the reserved links I kept at the fist of this thread. Would that be OK with you?

Do you plan on taking the duck into combat? A nice pair of goggles and some two sided tape would give him the ride of his life.
Last edited by Lee; Jun 21, 2009 at 02:17 PM.
Jun 21, 2009, 02:19 PM
Lee, go ahead and move the pics to the reserved spot unless you need me to do something - let me know. That is fine with me. It certainly helps the build process that you have kept the whole thread organized.
I used 3M artists adhesive - it is still tacky so I think that was a mistake - should have gone with your recommended adhesive instead. It was a can that I've had for 10 years. Maybe I can find something to harden it. I used acrylic airbrush paint.
Jun 21, 2009, 03:25 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
I moved several photos from John and Kelly, Ben, Jimmi to post #12. I hope to keep a good photo album so others can get painting and covering ideas.

I like organized threads. I think they promote the hobby and help the new flyers get going. I am trying to make this a good teaching thread so if you have ideas and photos please share them.

I have already added the Shock Absorber and the metal motor mount at the request of builders. Both ideas are great. I want to make this a great resource to everyone who builds flying wings.

We have already had someone have the EPP foam eaten by an off brand of spray adhesive so be careful. The 3M77 and the 3M 90 are EPP safe. If you use the 3M77 it will stay sticky for a while. Rub it with a little baking soda or baby powder and it will not be sticky anymore. We are glad it stays sticky because we are doing some testing with the laminating film over the paint and the 3M77 will help it to stick.
Last edited by Lee; Jun 21, 2009 at 04:51 PM.
Jun 21, 2009, 04:20 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
After a few full throttle smacks into the ground, this one sorta dissintegrated when I tried to remove the tape to gorilla glue it together, so all I have left are the elevons (hoping for core availablility soon). It sure was easy to keep track of at the Uncivil war, with a clear difference from top to bottom design. Used cheap spray paint and pin striping from the automotive store:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=323

And here was the maiden flight (after about 5 attempts of hand launching it that went straight into the gound):

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...97&postcount=1

First time ever flying a plane, and the thing handled great. Right after my 3-year-old son begged me not to "cwash my ewpwane" I did a loop-de-loop around a tree and smacked hard. It took many more hits than that before being retired.
Last edited by Telemachus; Jun 21, 2009 at 04:47 PM.
Jun 21, 2009, 08:47 PM
I've got mine pretty well dialed in. The rolls are getting more axial, I've got down travel at 60% of up in the radio. May drop it down even further next trip out.

Oh, I'm using the cheaper 1050 30c Rhino packs, which according to the HK website weigh 98g vs 124g, which is .98 oz lighter. To get it to balance at 6.5" I had to add an ounce in the battery compartment. Next order will get some 1350's on it. Played around today with props and a cool little dc clamp on amp meter. Here's what we saw. 15A with a 7x4, 17A with a 7x5 and 20A with a 7x6. I haven't flown with the 7x6 or 7x4, but with the 7x5 it goes straight up on release. Seeing about 7 minute run times with the 1050 battery. I'll probably order another one and move the battery forward maybe a half inch? Pretty impressed, it's going to make a good desert plane, one I can toss in the RV and not worry about breaking.
Jun 21, 2009, 10:49 PM
Heres my unfinished asassin
Jun 21, 2009, 11:30 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by markw365
I've got mine pretty well dialed in. The rolls are getting more axial, I've got down travel at 60% of up in the radio. May drop it down even further next trip out.

Oh, I'm using the cheaper 1050 30c Rhino packs, which according to the HK website weigh 98g vs 124g, which is .98 oz lighter. To get it to balance at 6.5" I had to add an ounce in the battery compartment. Next order will get some 1350's on it. Played around today with props and a cool little dc clamp on amp meter. Here's what we saw. 15A with a 7x4, 17A with a 7x5 and 20A with a 7x6. I haven't flown with the 7x6 or 7x4, but with the 7x5 it goes straight up on release. Seeing about 7 minute run times with the 1050 battery. I'll probably order another one and move the battery forward maybe a half inch? Pretty impressed, it's going to make a good desert plane, one I can toss in the RV and not worry about breaking.
If you want to go vertical those 30C 1050 Rinos are nice. I'm flying mine with both the Rino 1050 30C lipoly and the Rino 1350 30C lipoly without changing weight. The CG range seems to be pretty wide.

Thanks for the statistics. We need pictures.

Lee
Jun 21, 2009, 11:31 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi
Heres my unfinished asassin
I moved copies to post #12 to our Assassin Scrapbook. Colors look great. Is there bidirectional tape on the wing?
Jun 22, 2009, 04:41 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
I'm still updating the original posts. This picture shows paint on untreated EPP and EPP sealed with 3M77 and 3M90. There is a significant difference. I also tried to scratch it off after it was dry. The spray adhesives make a bigger difference when painting over tape.

Go to post #11 for more pictures and updated information on the sealing of the EPP and airbrushing.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=11

Last edited by Lee; Jun 22, 2009 at 05:14 PM.
Jun 23, 2009, 10:01 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
I got a request for a state side place to get the motors. Tell Ryan Lee sent you. He has flown the Assassin. He hasn't marked the motors up as much as some of the other places in the USA. The CF 2812 is at the bottom of the page.

http://www.planeinsanerc.com/index.php?PageID=12

We did some side by side runs with the Assassin Vs the Pinata. If you have watched the two fly you would thing the Pinata is faster. Apparently not true. I had no trouble staying up with Steve but he had trouble flying as slow as the Assassin could fly.

Another storm came through and the wind all but stopped us in the air. Considering the Assassin clocks in at about 70 MPH WOT you can imagine the microburst we were flying in. We both kept launching flying and landing in the storm until it started to rain because a new flyer had driven a couple of hours to see it fly. Landings were not pretty. Did I mention I like EPP foam.

Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jun 23, 2009 at 10:25 AM.
Jun 24, 2009, 10:24 AM

Thickness of EPP elevons

How thick must be the elevons to get they stiff enough?
I had some 6mm EPP and tryed it but it is too unstable.

And what exactly is "formica"? It seems nobody in Germany knows what it is.

Robert77
Jun 24, 2009, 10:43 AM

Formica and Elevons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert77
How thick must be the elevons to get they stiff enough?
I had some 6mm EPP and tryed it but it is too unstable.

And what exactly is "formica"? It seems nobody in Germany knows what it is.

Robert77
Hey Robert, I just ran out to the garage and took some measurements, had to make it quick though, it's going to be 100 degrees today, hot...
Formica is a laminate, it's used on counter tops and table tops and can be made to look like wood or just about any color or desige. The Formica I have measured 1mm thick, it's hard and brittle and chips when cut with a saw. In manufacturing the product is glued to the counter and then the excess ground off with a router. I found some excess Formica at a local counter top shop, they sold us a left over piece for a few dollars.
The elevons on our Agressissor, taped up, measured 9mm and as is detailed in the construction thread were very weak and bendable until I got them completly taped up with the bidirectional tape. I used the iron to melt the adhesive but be careful to not over heat the iron, the tape will melt and be caerfult to avoid warping the elevon.
I hope this helps you Robert. Anyone else care to chime in?
Jun 24, 2009, 02:56 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Lee, I’m going to have to get one of these wings from you and I might have another guy that wants one as well. I still can’t believe how smooth they fly. When you handed me your remote on Saturday I should have handed you mine so you could see how bad my wing flies compared to yours. I can’t wait to get my hands on one so I can run a wireless camera into combat!
Rock On!

Ryan

Quick Reply