May 14, 2012, 08:29 AM
Slow Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja
My money is back on the receiver
Happy hunting.
Do you fly Spektrum?
If so I'd pick up one of the 6 dollar Orange receivers and swap it out...
Yeah, me too. It could be a combination of things (like the ESC and rx), but it now sounds like you are getting signal lock out.
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2012, 11:15 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
I recently had a plug come un-soldered and it would only break electrical contact intermittently and it was hard to find.

Get your plane up and running and pull out the RX ESC and pull on the wires and move the plugs and listen for the RX to reset and watch for power loss. If that doesn't show the problem start trading parts.

Good luck.
May 14, 2012, 02:30 PM
Proud RC Addict
Sorry, I haven't read all 351 pages...

I got this wing here that is about ready to start making something besides white.

Poll:
* Paint, then cover with clear provided coating.
* cover with coating then paint
* ditch clear coating and cover with Ultrakote.
* cover with clear covering then Ultrakote

I have lots of Ultrakote from other projects.

I'm not sure how to get a good nice finish with paint but I'm not sure if Ultrakote is that great for covering with on these either.

Thoughts?
May 14, 2012, 02:50 PM
Flight Enthusiast
I went to fly this morning and it quit 4 times. I had removed the tape that covered the ESC and the Rx and thought it might run cooler with it off. It made no difference.
I will pull on wires again etc. and swap parts.

Is this the Rx you were talking about Bombay?
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rammable_.html

And would this be the correct Rx?
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Sat_Port_.html

Thanks again for all of your help. It will be a while before any of these parts will arrive so hopefully I can fly with the parts I have until then.

Lee, I am enjoying flying the Assassin so much. It feels so good to fly again.
This morning it was CALM and that is so sweet. I even tried a roll but I didn't put in a little down elevator at the same time and it looked like heck. I had to do the roll before it crapped out so I did it right away on a new battery. It went through a barbed wire fence this morning and luckily didn't hit the wire.
I'll keep you all informed.
Please let me know if these two links are to the parts you buy most and recommend. I'll make an order when the ESC is not backordered. Hopefully the Rx will be available then.
Thanks again,
David
May 14, 2012, 03:31 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Also had some pretty good luck with these:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/proton30aair.html
May 14, 2012, 03:33 PM
AMA 937634
@ mulicheng

Here are the methods I've used so far:
1. painted over the clear covering
2. painted under the clear covering
3. used monocote (or something similar, it was the heaviest covering I had and I thought it would wear better than a lighter covering.
4. used clear covering and applied decals and tape.

So far I like the painting under the covering the best but it doesn't really allow me to change my appearance if I get tired of it.

I painted mine with a flourescent orange and then let it dry a bit so that it was still tacky and then applied the covering. So far it's holding up well. Definitely test the paint before spraying your wing and watching it all melt. I used an extra piece of the elevon for my test.

My opinion on covering is that painting light and then covering is probably the lightest way to go as long as you aren't really piling on the paint. There are lots of variables here so your mileage may vary.

-Mike
May 14, 2012, 04:31 PM
Big Jim
For my 2 cents, I coverd then put on the pretty Tape just like the vid from the web site. lightest and allows me to change on a whim. my Assassin has had 4 seprate looks. the bottom is white with two large black stripes. But I fly combat with 4 other planes and the contrast has to be there.
Got some flying in today about 30 min wind was puffing 25 plus. Just not fun to me in that much wind cant go screaming along 6 inches off the deck.
May 14, 2012, 04:53 PM
Big Jim
here is a bit of vid shot yesterday
13 May 12 Assasin and Cub.wmv (6 min 56 sec)
May 14, 2012, 09:30 PM
Slow Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulicheng
Sorry, I haven't read all 351 pages...

I got this wing here that is about ready to start making something besides white.

Poll:
* Paint, then cover with clear provided coating. (thumbs up)
* cover with coating then paint (thumbs down. paint will chip or flake off)
* ditch clear coating and cover with Ultrakote. (neutral. depends on the temp needed to activate the UK. Probably not as strong as the lam).
* cover with clear covering then Ultrakote (thumbs up. the temp needed to activate the UK needs to be around the same temp to activate the lam. otherwise you will melt one or the other. I typically set my iron for the lam at 225. ).
see blue
May 14, 2012, 09:37 PM
Slow Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferndale Flyer
I went to fly this morning and it quit 4 times. I had removed the tape that covered the ESC and the Rx and thought it might run cooler with it off. It made no difference.
I will pull on wires again etc. and swap parts.

Is this the Rx you were talking about Bombay?
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rammable_.html

And would this be the correct Rx?
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Sat_Port_.html

Thanks again for all of your help. It will be a while before any of these parts will arrive so hopefully I can fly with the parts I have until then.

Lee, I am enjoying flying the Assassin so much. It feels so good to fly again.
This morning it was CALM and that is so sweet. I even tried a roll but I didn't put in a little down elevator at the same time and it looked like heck. I had to do the roll before it crapped out so I did it right away on a new battery. It went through a barbed wire fence this morning and luckily didn't hit the wire.
I'll keep you all informed.
Please let me know if these two links are to the parts you buy most and recommend. I'll make an order when the ESC is not backordered. Hopefully the Rx will be available then.
Thanks again,
David
Yes and yes. Order a couple when they come back in stock. If you don't want to wait, a couple of others that are good are:
  • HobbyKing 30A BlueSeries Brushless Speed Controller
  • Mystery 30A BEC Brushless Speed Controller (Blue Series)
  • TURNIGY Plush 30amp Speed Controller
I would also recommend picking up the programming card for the particular model.
May 14, 2012, 11:02 PM
Proud RC Addict
Thanks for the tips. I really would like to try paint. I'm not much of an artist but I really like the idea of doing some airbrush designs. (I know you have to pick a paint that works). If I chicken out I still have lots of Ultrakote
May 14, 2012, 11:24 PM
Flight Enthusiast

Current ESC

Thanks Jetpack and Bombay. Actually that is the ESC I am currently using. The Exceed Proton 30 Air.
So maybe that in itself says that it might be the Rx. Unfortunately I don't have anything but an identical Power Up 6 channel Rx to swap out. All my other Rx's are 72 mhz.
This afternoon I booted up the plane on the bench and shook and twisted wires but got no definite errors.
I have another Exceed Proton 30 Air ESC and a Castle Creations 18A ESC that I can switch with but on Rx's I am stuck. I have the second Power Up 6 Ch Rx in the Assassin waiting for the early morning to try it out. I hope it is better than the one I have been using.
Talk to you tomorrow.
David
May 15, 2012, 07:18 AM

decoration

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I really would like to try paint. I'm not much of an artist but I really like the idea of doing some airbrush designs. (I know you have to pick a paint that works). If I chicken out I still have lots of Ultrakote
Here is easy/best ? way http://stores.ebay.com/Paper-Street-Plastics

fyi ...............te
May 15, 2012, 10:03 AM

Paint

Quote:
It sounds as though you are an artest and as such you'll probably want to change and alter the look now and then.
When you paint it, you're done.
Applying covering and tape over the laminate alowes you make changes later on.
May 15, 2012, 10:23 AM
Flight Enthusiast
It looks like those of you who were thinking it was the Rx were right. Here is how it went this morning.
I started with my other Power Up 6 ch Rx and the same ESC used on all previous flights.
Using a 1300 mah battery, it quit after 3 minutes 30 seconds.
Then I replaced the Exceed Proton 30A air ESC with a Castle Creations 18A ESC.
Same battery as flight #1 so I limited it to 4 minutes. No problems... so I thought OK it must be the ESC.
Next flight with a 1000 mah battery #3 and same Castle Creations ESC lasted 2 minutes 40 seconds until it quit in flight.
Next flight with a 1000 mah battery #2 and same Castle Creations ESC lasted 4 minutes no seconds until it quit in flight.
So... it appears the Power Up Rx is not compatible with these other parts. Or maybe it's just no good.
Now I am stuck with no Rx I can trust and I need to buy one while I wait for the HK parts to be ordered and shipped.
Can you suggest a Rx that I can buy stateside that you trust?
I am going to try to borrow a Rx from a friend to try it out to finalize the process of elimination of bad parts, but I need to buy a trustworthy Rx.
Could you please suggest one?
Thanks very much.
David

Quick Reply