Apr 16, 2012, 02:01 PM

I'll try adding some nose weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal
I thought I had it closer to 6.5 before. I'll try adding some nose weight. Hopefully that helps. I'll lower the throws as well.

I need to get some practice and keep it in the air, so you ninjas can have something to hit in a couple weeks.

The rods are set up as you describe already.
How are you testing the airplane for CG? Find some way to hang the wing at 6-1/2" from the nose right side up or upside down it doesn't matter but find a way to get the nose slightly down when tested at CG.
Have you sucessfully flown it yet and does it fly somewhat straight and level when it's in the air?
Watch out for the linkage nazi if you stuff is sloppy and loose......
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2012, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico John
How are you testing the airplane for CG? Find some way to hang the wing at 6-1/2" from the nose right side up or upside down it doesn't matter but find a way to get the nose slightly down when tested at CG.
Have you sucessfully flown it yet and does it fly somewhat straight and level when it's in the air?
Watch out for the linkage nazi if you stuff is sloppy and loose......

I'm using fingertips, I could probably rig a way to hang it from a string.

I haven't flown it long enough yet to tell anything. Right after launch it rolls and crashes. sounds like cg is the place to start. If that doesn't fix it, I'll see what other ideas come up.

Linkages feel solid. The horns and servos stay put, the rods don't drift or bend unless I push them up against the max travel by hand. The radio limits are set much lower and they won't get there in normal use.
Apr 16, 2012, 03:05 PM
wheeeeee!
If there's a crazy roll, it sounds like there's more than just a CG problem. Too nose/tail heavy can be difficult to control, but a roll makes me think imbalanced left/right, bad servo, loose connection, bad programming, bad launches, etc.

btw, I use push pins to determine CG, and that's been plenty accurate for me.
Apr 16, 2012, 05:02 PM
I have my Assassin on the way but I need some advise. I am looking at a rimfire 400(from great planes) @ 950Kv Constant watts @ 160. Burst Watts @ 220 for the motor with a 8x6 prop. will it have to much torque? is it the "right" motor for this plane? Thanks for any opinions
Apr 16, 2012, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma
I have my Assassin on the way but I need some advise. I am looking at a rimfire 400(from great planes) @ 950Kv Constant watts @ 160. Burst Watts @ 220 for the motor with a 8x6 prop. will it have to much torque? is it the "right" motor for this plane? Thanks for any opinions
There are guys at the field trying different motor options, and some have matched the power/speed of the rewound 2812, but so far no one has beat it. We clocked mine at around 82 mph a few times with the rewound motor with a 7x6 HK prop. I bed we'd get faster on a real apc, but I'm already drawing 36 static amps out of a 30 amp esc. I'd love to break 90 though. I might have to try the prop.
Apr 16, 2012, 05:33 PM
manual flying apologist
anyone cut either of these 2 wings in half to make them fit in a suitcase or pelican case?

I am looking to build a wing to carry a small point and shoot camera and that can fit into a pelican case to travel on airline with.

would it be conceivable to use 2 CF tubes that slip into each other to join the 2 halves together...

or 3 pieces (2 wings and 1 main section) with Cf running through all 3 sections?

and would either of these 2 wings be large enough to provide steady flight with a 300g payload of a camera?

Thanks guys
Apr 16, 2012, 05:35 PM
Quote:
I am looking at a rimfire 400(from great planes) @ 950Kv Constant watts @ 160
just my opinion, but, 8 inch prop spinning that slow wont get the most fun for your money. A little under powered also.

emax 2812 ships out of florida for $2 how can you go wrong.?? its what most use on their assassins. And it can be re-wound.

Forgot the link... sorry

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail
Last edited by wheelspinner20; Apr 16, 2012 at 05:42 PM.
Apr 16, 2012, 05:35 PM
Slow Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma
Burma:
I will answer it this way. The "right" motor is the one that is recommended over and over again for the Assassin.

Here is the recommended parts list:
http://crashtesthobby.com/products/assassin#tab-3

Here is the quote from the site:
"When built light with a flying weight (AUW) of around 17 oz it will go straight up and has a flight speed of about 15-75 mph with the recommended motor. It is designed to fly with a large prop and lower RPM to make it quieter and neighbor friendly."

Edit: See wheelspinner's reply above. +1
Apr 16, 2012, 05:41 PM
Quote:
or 3 pieces (2 wings and 1 main section) with Cf running through all 3 sections?
I would imagine it could be done.... Crashtest makes a scyth which is smaller, and has been convereted by at least 1 guy into 2 piece breakdown.

Another proud owner did a nice $20 archery bow case conversion (one piece assassin) he said it worked out nice. Use the search this thread function and put in Bow case.
Apr 16, 2012, 05:45 PM
Burma, here is the RCTimer equivelent

I have one of each, the red one and the rctimer orange one... actually a few. Great motors for the price.

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...0&productname=
Apr 16, 2012, 05:47 PM
manual flying apologist
ill check it out a bow case is a great idea....

ill look for it, thanks for the help!
Apr 16, 2012, 05:55 PM
Planes in flames,,,
I'm not sure the Assassin is a good candidate for hauling around 300grams of camera...

I've done OK with a goPro (w/o the hard case) but the plane has a much larger than the recommended motor.
The keychain type cameras are better suited for use with the Assassin sized planes.
Here's some goPro vid on an Assassin sized wing:
HotRodCombatPlane.MP4 (3 min 15 sec)
Apr 16, 2012, 06:48 PM
Hmmmmm... I have been experimenting with cg. Moving it forward .75 inch takes a fair weight. It looks like I could add another battery up with the other one and get just about right. I guess I made a piggy assassin.

I guess it would increase flight time, and a battery is at least not dead weight.
Apr 16, 2012, 08:06 PM

Elevon movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal
I'm using fingertips, I could probably rig a way to hang it from a string.

I haven't flown it long enough yet to tell anything. Right after launch it rolls and crashes. sounds like cg is the place to start. If that doesn't fix it, I'll see what other ideas come up.

Linkages feel solid. The horns and servos stay put, the rods don't drift or bend unless I push them up against the max travel by hand. The radio limits are set much lower and they won't get there in normal use.
You have read about 3/8" elevon movement, if you can reduct the rates on the transmitter. The Assassin is a very responsive wing and too much movment with high rates migh be too much for the first flights. There is a pretty big difference.
Don't give up, good luck.

Quick Reply