Oct 30, 2010, 02:05 PM
swede
That wing is still perfectly fine. Use some gorilla glue and it will be as good as new. I mix about 1 drop of water per teaspoon amount of glue to get it to foam just the right amount. The foaming will fill in any gaps. Apply it with a toothpick to one side of the break. Tape it together and tape the breaks so the foam won't ooze out and in a few hours it will be stronger than the original foam.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2010, 11:19 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
These are combat planes and that is a mere flesh wound.

Some people want a perfect look after a repair some fly some pretty hammered planes.

I can fix something like that at the field with a glue gun that plugs into my car.
Some people say I have stock in the glue gun factories but the truth is I'm just too lazy to use glues that have to cure or dry.

I do not peel the old covering and tape off but I may trim rough edges before I start gluing.
I would take special care to get the wing aligned and glued.
Repair the shock cord by cutting through the laminate and tape and put the new shock cord at least 6" in each direction beyond the tear. It should glue to the old shock cord.
If the spar has broken add a repair piece of flat carbon along the break, don't try to pull out the old spar.
I would then use some scrap foam or some hot glue itself to fill any remaining gaps.
I would then put some pieces of the Extreme tape over the tear to both reinforce the glue joint and to hide it.
Finish with a layer of laminate to protect the tape from UV rays and blend it in with the rest of the plane.

Lee

PS we have a great sale on Assassins.

Last edited by Lee; Oct 31, 2010 at 11:24 AM.
Oct 31, 2010, 05:51 PM
Our group is going on a year of flying these wings. We fly every week. Every plane has been repaired and every plane is still flying. We fly other stuff. These planes are pure FUN

What we do on most foam fixes.

The white gorilla glue is a great foam replacement because of its foaming/adhesive action. Follow the wetting instructions for the glue. Wipe any water overspray so you can apply Extreme tape over the glued injury to control the foaming. This is a very permanent fix. The Extreme tape becomes part of the fix. Pulling it up after curing will pull up foam. Slap on another piece of laminate. Done.

I don't use the shock chord anymore. "Cross your heart" style of Extreme tape takes those forces instead.
Last edited by cliffo; Oct 31, 2010 at 06:23 PM.
Oct 31, 2010, 07:12 PM
Allright guys, you have shown me the error of my ways--repair it is!! I'll post the pictures after it's ready to fly again.
Nov 01, 2010, 04:29 AM
Just above a newb
Has anyone used the Assassin "Core kit TowerPro" from PlaneInsane that is one of the suggested power sets for this plane? I received mine the other day, and the ESC is a "Toward Pro" brand, not Tower Pro. I'm not happy about receiving something other than what I ordered and a bit unsure of the quality as I've never heard of that brand.

Also everything I read says they recommend a 25+ amp esc and this one is 18 amp, with a more powerful motor than the standard. Will the esc handle it?

Thanks
Nov 01, 2010, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild
Has anyone used the Assassin "Core kit TowerPro" from PlaneInsane that is one of the suggested power sets for this plane? I received mine the other day, and the ESC is a "Toward Pro" brand, not Tower Pro. I'm not happy about receiving something other than what I ordered and a bit unsure of the quality as I've never heard of that brand.

Also everything I read says they recommend a 25+ amp esc and this one is 18 amp, with a more powerful motor than the standard. Will the esc handle it?

Thanks
a problem around for some time by the look of it ... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834452
Nov 01, 2010, 06:28 AM
Just above a newb
Interesting, thanks for locating that.

Anyone have input on the 18 amp esc being enough?
Nov 01, 2010, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrejk
Allright guys, you have shown me the error of my ways--repair it is!! I'll post the pictures after it's ready to fly again.
I'm really pleased that 'Doctor Lee' gave you a full diagnosis and necessary treatment, and that you have decided to fix your plane ......

Assassins are like the famous A10 ..... they can often get back from action looking like $$$$ but they can be fixed and flying again after the most horrific damage .....

Nov 01, 2010, 03:13 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Quote:

Thanks
I'm a bit confused. It says right on his website that it is an 18 amp ESC. And none of these Chinese motors are truly "brand names," they are all knock offs.

That should be plenty of power for your Assassin. I'd be surprised if you ever pull much more than 15 amps.
Nov 01, 2010, 04:39 PM
Just above a newb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus
I'm a bit confused. It says right on his website that it is an 18 amp ESC. And none of these Chinese motors are truly "brand names," they are all knock offs.

That should be plenty of power for your Assassin. I'd be surprised if you ever pull much more than 15 amps.
This is what Lee posted here on the build info:

We recommend at least a 25+ amp speed control to fly our planes with with the CF2812 or BP21 motor.

That's why I was asking about the 18 amp esc.
Nov 01, 2010, 04:42 PM
Just above a newb
One more question before I decide on starting the build or getting this replaced. One forward corner of a wing half is pushed in from shipping. Seeing as how this join is a very high stress area on a combat wing, should I get this replaced or will it hold up after taping and laminating?
Nov 01, 2010, 04:48 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
I would cut about a half inch off both sides to get it to line up well.

Although it will probably fly fine how it is!
Nov 01, 2010, 06:53 PM
Quote:
One more question before I decide on starting the build or getting this replaced. One forward corner of a wing half is pushed in from shipping. Seeing as how this join is a very high stress area on a combat wing, should I get this replaced or will it hold up after taping and laminating?
5 out of 6 of ours came that way and we went ahead and built them. 80% done and you can't tell they were like that when we got them. Your other option is to use hot water to re-expand the foam.
Nov 01, 2010, 07:35 PM
I've built three or four planes from CTH and a couple of them didn't match up *perfectly*... It's not a big deal. You can put glue where the gap is and force it together, fill the gap with extra glue, just leave it, or boil some water and pour it over the foam. Once you get it built it won't make much difference with the tape and laminate over it.
Nov 01, 2010, 07:38 PM
Just above a newb
Thanks everyone!

Starting the build now..

Quick Reply