Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 09, 2010, 06:23 PM

GWS micro P-51: my favorite microflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly
Looking good edwen303, mine is still flying well with a 350mah 2s lipo.
Flying both resurrected Phase 3 Spitfire (front fuselage reconstructed with brushless upgraded) and GWS micro p-51, P-51 never has tip stalls so far, stall is predictable. Phase 3 spitfire has higher wing loading, needs maintaining higher speed. My spitfire definitely flies faster than P-51. It is interesting to see that new Kyosho airium spitfire and Me-109 have similar wingspan and flying weight to GWS micro mustang that I modified.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2010, 11:23 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
The GWS micro P-51 is one of my best flying birds and is cheap to operate with the 350 mah 2s lipo. I have 5 lipos for it and its a blast to fly.

Gws Mini Mustang (1 min 45 sec)
Jan 31, 2011, 06:15 PM

updates on my red-tail GWS micro mustang

Modfly, yours is a great flyer. Certainly lighter flies better even with 2s.

After obtaining a DX6i and a knockoff ar6200 receiver, I redid the motor mount and enlarged the cavity of stock cowling to fit my FC2805 motor (I use soldering iron to carefully melt the foam), so now everything in the plane is almost perfectly like a scale mustang. The little red-tail is shining in the sky. It now flew as good and looked much better in the air.
Jan 31, 2011, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwen303
Modfly, yours is a great flyer. Certainly lighter flies better even with 2s.

After obtaining a DX6i and a knockoff ar6200 receiver, I redid the motor mount and enlarged the cavity of stock cowling to fit my FC2805 motor (I use soldering iron to carefully melt the foam), so now everything in the plane is almost perfectly like a scale mustang. The little red-tail is shining in the sky. It now flew as good and looked much better in the air.
Please post pics of your plane here along with build info if you will. this thread is used by Caliber Hobbies to show what can be done with these planes.
Feb 05, 2011, 12:01 AM
Did you ever get the battery pack mounted internally?
Feb 05, 2011, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caish
Did you ever get the battery pack mounted internally?
No but it would be easy to do.
Jun 08, 2011, 12:18 PM
I got one of these and been pouring on these pages for a build

I'm about a couple of miles from Caliber Hobby/GWS warehouse store so gws parts is no problem

I have the kit, electrifly c-5, HK 2.5 gm Orange RX, 2 eflite 6gm servos, stock motor,

and ready to build

thanks to all the post especially modfly detailed description photos and videos

it seems GWS still has a few of this kits left and might just grab a couple more for spares

thanks all
Jun 15, 2011, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamov
I got one of these and been pouring on these pages for a build

I'm about a couple of miles from Caliber Hobby/GWS warehouse store so gws parts is no problem

I have the kit, electrifly c-5, HK 2.5 gm Orange RX, 2 eflite 6gm servos, stock motor,

and ready to build

thanks to all the post especially modfly detailed description photos and videos

it seems GWS still has a few of this kits left and might just grab a couple more for spares

thanks all

Yes these are very good flying planes. I still have mine and its one of my favs. I started my build as a 3 channel plane with stock motor and then went 4 channel with Brushless Feigao and GWS IPS gearbox. Flys best with a 2 cell 350mah 20c lipo. This plane is very stable and can fly very slow for a warbird due to the under camber wing.

Here is a 4 channel mod video....
Gws Mini Mustang (1 min 45 sec)
Jun 15, 2011, 11:39 AM
Modfly

thanks so much for all those posts they really help i've learned so much from them and videos it really is an awesome flying little a/c from the several videos you've shown.

I'm still gathering few more parts. I get the 2 cell 350mah from my local hobbypeople

I'm thinking in the future i'll upgrade to the hextronik 10grm outrunners or maybe get the proper gearbox for the feigao ips that i have.

I'm surprised you still have yours its been 3 years right ? do ou have several of these in your fleet?
Jun 18, 2011, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Modfly

thanks so much for all those posts they really help i've learned so much from them and videos it really is an awesome flying little a/c from the several videos you've shown.

I'm still gathering few more parts. I get the 2 cell 350mah from my local hobbypeople

I'm thinking in the future i'll upgrade to the hextronik 10grm outrunners or maybe get the proper gearbox for the feigao ips that i have.

I'm surprised you still have yours its been 3 years right ? do ou have several of these in your fleet?
The Feigao with the GWS IPS gearbox is the way to go. With a GB you can tune for the current draw and power you want with different ratios and props. Cant do that with a outrunner Yes I still have my converted FF Mustang and it flys very well and is easy to transport due to its small size yet it handles wind very well for such a small plane. I only have one of these Mustangs so I am careful with it but it is so stable that there are no worries about crashing it. I recommend doing the 4 channel conversion as its nearly crash proof with that configuration.

I'm running mine with a very conservative current draw to get longer flight time but with a simple prop change this thing can fly with lots of power.
Sep 21, 2011, 10:38 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Yes!

With GWS IPS will be great improve of the thrust, yet with BL 12X30mm motor will even better.

Shall we go this size to be EPO solid wing and fuselage a new size.

Shipping is getting too expensive this days. But when trying make them small, flight performance should be kept.
Last edited by GWS4CEO; Sep 21, 2011 at 10:48 AM.
Sep 24, 2011, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS4CEO
Yes!

With GWS IPS will be great improve of the thrust, yet with BL 12X30mm motor will even better.

Shall we go this size to be EPO solid wing and fuselage a new size.

Shipping is getting too expensive this days. But when trying make them small, flight performance should be kept.
I think a smaller scale Warbird line would be great! EPO wing sounds good. Keep the rest EPP.
Jul 19, 2013, 06:33 PM

Still here

Quote:
Modfly

Well I still have it and it is still in flying condition. I only have one.

I just noticed the View all images in thread feature very cool
Last edited by modfly; Jul 19, 2013 at 06:52 PM.
Aug 18, 2015, 06:51 PM
I've really enjoyed reading this thread, to the point of ordering up one! Thanks for all your posts and pics Modfly, I appreciate it.