GWS micro Mustang free flight conversion to DSM2 5 channel RC with BL upgrade - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 24, 2009, 02:00 AM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Haha, great job.

Now that really makes me wanna get one!
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2009, 12:07 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
This was a good plane to mod for me as I had everything I needed already in stock.

Here is list of the radio equipment used....
Micro Joule receiver with M-72 Antenna mod.
Electrifly C5 brushed ESC.
2x 4g HC servos.
E-Flite 430mah 2 cell 20c lipo.

Building materials.....
2' of linkage straw.
2' small diameter pieces of piano wire.
9 paper hinges.
5 minute epoxy.
2.5' CF 1.8mm rod.
JST motor connector.
Brass Pinion gear.
3 GWS micro screws, 2 for engine cowl and 1 for wing.
1 piece of HG birch wood for a wing joiner and 1 hardwood block.(not shown) and balsa control horns x2.
1/16'' Heat shrink turbing x2 .5'' used in rudder\elevator linkage.
.5'' tail wheel with piano wire axle\linkage and wheel retainer with nylon swivel mount.

Mini Mustang ROG (0 min 31 sec)
Last edited by modfly; May 24, 2009 at 11:33 PM.
May 25, 2009, 10:27 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Nice work.... I need one too.
May 26, 2009, 01:43 AM

Elevator servo quit during pre-flight check...

I may add ailerons at some time to this plane but first I need some of those 2.5 g servos. It flys pretty good with rudder and elevator and I think I may enjoy flying as is for a while. I was going to fly it today and was doing my ground pre-flight when I noticed the elevator acting weird..suddenly I could hear a high pitched sound come out of the plane and the elevator quit working. Good thing I caught that as that would have been a disaster for my neat little mustang. So I packed it up and back at the hanger, after checking it out, the pinion gear on the HC 4g elevator servo had pulled up away from the core-less motor and was slipping. Thats the first time I have ever seen that particular fault. I repaired it and reinstalled it. Since I'm in there, I went ahead and added a bit more throw to to rudder. Then decided to reshape that stock prop and install the stock spinner so got that done and reassembled the plane and its Finished for now and I'm waiting for the next flight

As you can tell from this video, this plane has very light wing loading for a war bird.
Mini Mustang Landing (0 min 52 sec)
Last edited by modfly; May 26, 2009 at 01:48 AM.
May 26, 2009, 05:49 AM
Mc-Fly
Well done, looks great and looks like a nice and gentle flyer
May 26, 2009, 12:19 PM
hey modfly i just grabbed a couple of these packs for my walkera 52 the other day.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0C_Lipoly_Pack

you should try them in this bird, they are great packs, small, light, use zippy cells, have balancing tabs + jst connector (which i know you like) etc etc...and a 3s would really make this thing come alive!

p.s - im going to try one in my hyperx conversion this weekend
May 26, 2009, 12:40 PM
Yea trust, I have a few planes that could use those lipos. This plane is not one of them. It is limited to 2 cells with the 130 motor thats in it now. Keep in mind this is a motor that was designed to run off 3.6v and is now running off 7.4v so its maxed out voltage wise. This plane is also maxed performance wise until something is done to the wing. Its strong enough for the current weight and performance but if that were to be bumped up, the wing would need a spar to beef it up. I did not build this plane for performance but rather light wing loading so that it could be operated from pavement. If you start adding more weight it turns into another lead sled like the Stock RTF Cox Micro warbirds.

This planes weight is 5oz without the lipo. I may change out the servos for 2.5g servos so that I can add ailerons without adding any weight.
May 26, 2009, 02:14 PM
Anything RC
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!
Excellent vids and flying.
Thanks for all the info.
And it looks like the body/nose is way more durable, than the cox.
May 30, 2009, 12:03 AM
Yes hoverboy, this plane is durable and the foam is thicker and high density in comparison to the Cox planes. However, I still like the Cox planes and would buy bunches of them if they were still available.

I flew this plane yesterday in calm conditions and noticed that it pulls to the left under full throttle. If you read this thread you will remember that I removed the right thrust angle. Well, I added some right thrust back, Not as much as the stock setting but a few degrees. So this evening, Conditions were favorable and I took it up, Much better! the plane is near perfection at this point, It will ROG, Land, operate off pavement which is a big plus to me..and it flys well with the stock motor and is now symmetrical in its yaw control and is a great little plane. I may add ailerons at some time but for now, I'm pretty happy with it as is and I don't think anyone else is gonna pop up with one of these so its pretty unique.

The next improvement I make will more than likely be micro DSM2 receiver upgrade. The MJ in it now works OK but gets a throttle glitch now and then. Certainly before ailerons are added, a new micro DSM2 rx will be installed first.
May 31, 2009, 04:15 PM
Here is a new video of the Micro Mustang. It is flying very well after I added a little right thrust angle.

Micro Mustang 1 (1 min 39 sec)
Last edited by modfly; May 31, 2009 at 06:07 PM.
Jun 01, 2009, 04:13 AM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Cool, I love how stable it is in the sky.

I've always wanted a micro warbird, I guess this is one way to get one myself.
Jun 02, 2009, 02:42 PM
Another nice one Modfly!
I like this one, flies much smoother than the F18, more to my taste .
Nice camera work Btw, better than most Ive seen of small planes!
A tip is to shut of "Auto focus" and use a suitable fixed one.

I know a couple of Hobby shops in Bangkok that imports directly from China, will check them out when i get home, but thats not until mid July, out on a job til then ...

Jim
Jun 02, 2009, 11:03 PM
Modfly; Retracts!
Jun 02, 2009, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machy2k
Modfly; Retracts!
no way man
Jun 03, 2009, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machy2k
Modfly; Retracts!
I've been building the one with retracts in this thread
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472937

So far I have not been very successful.
But it's not the retracts that is the problem, the retracts work fine. It's other stuff that I did to the plane. First, it's heavy, at 210g without canopy and paint. Second, I tried Klein-Fogelman airfoil, and that probably screwed the aerodynamics, in particular, wing incidence. I tried decreasing the incidence, and the plane started to fly somewhat better, but nowhere close to what you see in modfly's videos. It kind of plows through the air instead of gliding.
I'm going to try to coven the wing bottom completely and see if makes any improvements.

Sergey.