May 22, 2009, 04:22 PM
Anything RC
Would the Cox warbird guts work with this plane, and does the geared down MABUCHI FK-130SZ motor come with the plane for $20.
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2009, 06:03 PM
how about a pic that shows the scale of it?..you know with something for reference, a pencil a lighter even an airhog or something?....looks really nice but i cant get a good sense of the size of it.
May 22, 2009, 11:05 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis

Radio installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverboy
Would the Cox warbird guts work with this plane, and does the geared down MABUCHI FK-130SZ motor come with the plane for $20.
Yes. The 130 motor comes with the kit. It appears to be identical to the Cox 130 motor. Yes the Cox Icon radio would work nicely in this plane.

I'm using a Micro Joule 3g rx and 2 4g servos and a Electrifly 5c ESC with the stock motor which makes about 16-18 watts.
May 22, 2009, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trust416
how about a pic that shows the scale of it?..you know with something for reference, a pencil a lighter even an airhog or something?....looks really nice but i cant get a good sense of the size of it.

This should do it for you
May 22, 2009, 11:37 PM

Lipo mount and COG balance

The plane is done and ready for maiden
May 23, 2009, 12:27 AM
Inventor&Genius Extraordinary
America ask for Video, Video, Video, Video!!!!!!!!!
Best regards tito
May 23, 2009, 01:03 AM
EX-Kiowa Warrior Driver
what happened to the 4 channel conversion? was it going to be to heavy or just not enough room?
Last edited by unixphreak64; May 23, 2009 at 04:34 PM.
May 23, 2009, 10:12 AM

4 channel conversion in the works...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixphreak64
what happened to the 4 channel conversion? was it going to be to heavy or just no enough room?
Will maiden the plane as a 3 channel and see how that goes. If all goes well, then ailerons will be added next.
May 23, 2009, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tune by tito
Best regards tito
Yes, I will certainly be the first with a video of this plane
May 23, 2009, 12:21 PM
Nice Job Modfly.
Best regards tito
May 23, 2009, 09:50 PM

Test flight and a few upgrades..motor pinion and Prop

Well, this was not a maiden but a test flight. I describe that as a roll around and flying the tail and taxi tests. If things look good, and they did, A ROG with a short flight and thats what I did and the plane was pitch up and hard to handle and very sensitive to throttle position. I finally got it trimmed and under control after about 15 seconds and then lost power I managed to get it back on the ground with no damage. The prop was just spinning in the wind..the pinion gear slipped I should have known that a nylon gear would not work at ~20 watts. So back to the hangar for a brass pinion upgrade. I also will be modifying this prop as it is heavy and too much mass at the ends for the RPM that it is now operating at. These style props are only good up to a certain RPM. So I will be modifying this prop.
Last edited by modfly; May 23, 2009 at 09:56 PM.
May 23, 2009, 10:46 PM

Successful Maiden and Video

After I did the upgrades to plane I wanted to fly it but the wind had picked up so I had to wait until almost dark and even then there was a strong breeze but I decided to go for for it. This plane flies remarkably well and is in a class by its self in my collection. The nearest plane to this size that I have is the Estes Hyper X. Here is the Kicker, The servos that I removed from the Hyper X are in this plane and work perfectly for this plane. The Hyper X has a very large rudder and is very sensitive to neutral position were as the Mini Mustang is not. The Hyper X requires very good servos with good centering. This plane does not. Just about anything will work as long as the rudder and elevator tabs are the same size as the ones on this plane. The Video I did is a long one at 5 minutes so I will just post parts of it.. This plane flies remarkably well in the wind although the wings do start to flex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tune by tito
Best regards tito

Here is the ROG video
Mini Mustang ROG (0 min 31 sec)

This plane is very stable and slows down nicely for landing without Tip stall as seen in this Pavement Landing video..
Mini Mustang Landing (0 min 52 sec)

Here is the full video...
Mini Mustang Full flight (5 min 32 sec)
Last edited by modfly; May 24, 2009 at 12:47 AM.
May 23, 2009, 11:39 PM
RIP Sheba :(
Nice job Modfly!

Looks and flies just like it's big brother
I like yours better.

Rob
May 23, 2009, 11:46 PM
Nice, nice, nice............
tito