Combat Plans for the Scratch Builder - RC Groups
May 17, 2009, 07:46 AM
Flying Models for 55 Years
Discussion

Combat Plans for the Scratch Builder

Ok Guys, lets share our favorite Combat Plans here with Downloads and Links to Combat Build Threads from Plans. It can be one that you designed or didn't design, just remember to give credit to the Designer. Lets keep this Thread for Scratch Built Combat Models only, no Kits please!

Thanks
Sixter
Last edited by Sixter; May 17, 2009 at 08:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2009, 08:02 AM

Simple Delta

The Simple Delta designed by Dekan is a Great Delta for Combat Flying! It's very Simple to build, its only five parts! Can be made from EPP, FFF & Depron Foams. Flys great at Fast or Slow speeds! Here is the Build Thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867083 Picture is of Dekan's Simple Delta. Thanks Dekan for sharing your Simple Delta

Sixter
Last edited by Sixter; May 17, 2009 at 08:20 AM.
May 17, 2009, 09:48 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Hi All... check out the No #1 post as the SD has been improved..added 1 more bit..a KF wing section...

It's even stronger now as it has a double thickness LE
May 18, 2009, 05:13 AM
Tree Fodder

Franken-Stick

Laugh if you wish, but here's a pick of "Franken-Stick". I loved to play the role of "Target" for various Strykers, and Wings. She was a tough old bird, lots of CF and epoxy keeping those wings together.

Streamers???? We don't need no stinkin' streamers!

-berk
May 18, 2009, 05:17 AM
Tree Fodder
Aww rats. Sorry, just realized I posted that in the Scratch-builder's thread. My bad.
May 18, 2009, 07:12 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Here is a picture from SEFF 2009. The Green one is Dan's Foamenator design that was the 1st place prize and the Red/White/Blue is the Texas Terminator the won the Combat Event. The TT is my shameless copy of Dan's design. I used FFF, CF leading edge reinforcement, Hobby Lobby 400XT motor, and Spectrum RX.
McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
May 20, 2009, 03:03 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Here's a link to the "plans" for the Foamenator:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=830081&page=3
See post #36

I know this thread is for homebuilt designs, but sometimes really good homebuilt designs get to be kits and ARFs. Here's where you can get kits and the ARF for the Foamenator:
http://www.gwsprops.com/electric_com...as_seen_on.htm

Enjoy,
McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
May 21, 2009, 04:26 PM
Hi Guys, Thanks for your contributions to our Thread

Dekan: Keep em coming

Kingsflyer: Thanks for sharing your Texas Terminator and the Link Info. I agree with you, all great designs began as Scratch Built Models!

MumblinBerk: Old Franken-Stick has the scares to prove that she's a Tough Old Bird

dlw151947: Your Delta is truly a Cheap, Disposable, Combat Fighter Can you share a little Info on the Motor, ESC, Battery Pack, and Prop?

Anyone who has something to share, please post it

Thanks
Sixter
May 21, 2009, 07:26 PM
Is anybody building any Electric combat wings out of Coroplast?

I am curious why more people dont use Coroplast for the designs, as it takes a much stronger beating...

2mm Coro makes a plane similar in weight to a EPP/FFF plane, and its seemingly industructible...

Or is it just because its harder to find?

Wish i had more people to combat with out here in Oregon, all my buddy wants to do is combat his 100mph stryker against my plane...

I think i may take him up on the offer soon, if he hits my Coroplast Mugi even if i die his plane will shatter on impact...

My total cost - 3 dollars
His total cost - 50 dollars
May 22, 2009, 08:50 AM
arsenic0 Can you post Info and pictures of your Coroplast Mugi

Thanks
Sixter
May 22, 2009, 11:16 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Combat is more than hitting each other it is flying in slow formation and making multiple contacts without destroying the other plane. No one will stay with combat if every time you hit the planes are destroyed.

We have a few Strykers fly in our combat here. They fly well but they don't survive too long.

I have not seen a Coroplast plane that can fly as well as the EPP wings. Please post some video.
May 22, 2009, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Combat is more than hitting each other it is flying in slow formation and making multiple contacts without destroying the other plane. No one will stay with combat if every time you hit the planes are destroyed.

We have a few Strykers fly in our combat here. They fly well but they don't survive too long.

I have not seen a Coroplast plane that can fly as well as the EPP wings. Please post some video.

is this 1/4 inch EPP???????
May 22, 2009, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee

Well heres some google videos..theres a few good examples of the particular coro plane I am flying which is the Mugi
http://mugi.co.uk

http://mugi.co.uk/evo_youtube.php

Video 3 shows a pretty good speed crash that i know would have ripped my EPP/FFF planes in half..

The question isnt necessarily can this design be used in combat, because even though this plane has some ridiculous agility, much more so than a stryker, it is more at home going fast as hell like a Stryker..

I am interested in trying to replicate some of these EPP designs with Coroplast and see what happens, if anything is MORE durable than EPP. I've smashed my Mugi into the ground probably 15 times at a good 30-50mph..various inverted screw ups or misjudging where a pole is(oops!)...only thing of real substance damage is either to the servos and my battery is a bit mashed now(hope to fix that next plane!).

I'll see if i can take pictures of my Mugi when i get home..but heres one Justin another guy made that IMHO looks epic..
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...ker%20Mugi.jpg

And just FYI for those that DONT know what Coroplast is, its corrugated plastic..think sign board...or how cardboard is but with plastic..doesnt sound all that durable I know...but with proper building techniques(checkerboarding the flutes across eachother) you get wings that are incredibly strong and cant rip.

I understand the point is to crash and not wreck eachothers planes, i want him to build a coroplast plane to fight because my plane will rip his in half of they hit...so far i've said no but he keeps bugging me too ..so i may just have to shut him up if ya know what i mean
Last edited by arsenic0; May 22, 2009 at 01:04 PM.
May 22, 2009, 06:22 PM
Buzzsaw
Sixter, on the Delta we a 2408-21 motor,2 cell-1300 battery,20 amp speed control and a gws9-7 prop. Everything as cheap as we can purchase.
DLW