Working to start up Indoor Vapor-brick-based full-contact combat - RC Groups
Thread Tools
May 16, 2009, 03:26 AM
Fly long and land softly
Jim_Marconnet's Avatar
Discussion

Working to start up Indoor Vapor-brick-based full-contact combat


I'm working to start up up Indoor full-contact combat in the Huntsville Alabama area (and elsewhere). Since I fly Vapors, my particular interest is in Vapor-brick-based combat.

I built and recently maidened my first attempt at a disposble foamy wing based on an earlier successful full-combat design called the Stubby Delta. See: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=423

My Mini-Stubby is 13 inch wingspan. Uses Vapor brick and motor/gearbox/prop. Cellfoam 88 3MM foam airframe scaled 1/2.5 from the Stubby Delta design.

At 18 grams with a 110 mAH pack, it's heavier than a Vapor and it does not match the Vapor performance so far. Others seem to go with other smaller props and less gear ratio for higher pitch speed on similar deltas. I'd like to get this tailored to work with Vapor motor/gearbox/prop since I have several parts Vapors off EBAY.

I used Velcro to mount the brick. This allows more brick movement under load than I'd like.

The motor - I cut off the Vapor carbon fuselage at 3 inches and glued and taped it to the underside of the foam. That seems to be light, strong, and working well so far.

Suggestions? Other indoor combat planes to suggest? How goes your indoor full-contact combat?

Jim
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; May 16, 2009 at 03:48 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2009, 04:01 AM
How do I change this text?
Darth_Elevator's Avatar
My flying buddies and I have been trying to find a good design like this for indoor combat next winter and this might be the ticket. I've seen some talk about brushless motors on some of the Vapor forums. Has anyone in your group tried a brushless Stubby Delta?
May 16, 2009, 04:03 AM
How do I change this text?
Darth_Elevator's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Marconnet
How goes your indoor full-contact combat?
We've done full-contact combat with our Vapors. Unintentionally, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Marconnet
Suggestions? Other indoor combat planes to suggest?
We've been thinking about trying the Mini Speedwing EX.
May 16, 2009, 06:22 AM
Registered User

I LOVE this


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Marconnet
I'm working to start up up Indoor full-contact combat in the Huntsville Alabama area (and elsewhere). Since I fly Vapors, my particular interest is in Vapor-brick-based combat.

I built and recently maidened my first attempt at a disposble foamy wing based on an earlier successful full-combat design called the Stubby Delta. See: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=423

My Mini-Stubby is 13 inch wingspan. Uses Vapor brick and motor/gearbox/prop. Cellfoam 88 3MM foam airframe scaled 1/2.5 from the Stubby Delta design.

At 18 grams with a 110 mAH pack, it's heavier than a Vapor and it does not match the Vapor performance so far. Others seem to go with other smaller props and less gear ratio for higher pitch speed on similar deltas. I'd like to get this tailored to work with Vapor motor/gearbox/prop since I have several parts Vapors off EBAY.

I used Velcro to mount the brick. This allows more brick movement under load than I'd like.

The motor - I cut off the Vapor carbon fuselage at 3 inches and glued and taped it to the underside of the foam. That seems to be light, strong, and working well so far.

Suggestions? Other indoor combat planes to suggest? How goes your indoor full-contact combat?

Jim
]
]



wow INDOOR full contact E Combat !!!

we may do some at the NEFI

see:

http://web2.airmail.net/sfrank69/NEFI/

there will be some OUTDOOR Ecombat


see:

http://web2.airmail.net/sfrank69/NEFI/

this will be a GREAT E-Event..
May 16, 2009, 09:27 AM
Fly long and land softly
Jim_Marconnet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Elevator
We've done full-contact combat with our Vapors. Unintentionally, of course.

We've been thinking about trying the Mini Speedwing EX.
Actually other than damaging the PET covering, I don't think we've ever done any damage by mid-airing two Vapors, unintentionaly, of course.

One mid-air between a Vapor and a full-house foamy 3D plane stuck the Vapor into the tail, crashing the foamy, damaging it against the concrete floor, but leaving the Vapor OK. That's poetic justice. But then again if the 3D plane's prop had hit the Vapor, it would have been chopped into tiny bits! I've heard of some contests between Vapors and operating ceiling fans. The fan always won!

That Mini-Speedwing looks cool. It is a whole 'nother class of size, weight, and cost than what I'm working towards. With our 3 different indoor flying sites here in Huntsville, I need to try to design for the smallest one, a half-court church gym.

Jim
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; May 24, 2009 at 01:38 PM.
May 24, 2009, 12:53 PM
just go FLY !!
brn-grose's Avatar
cost of parts may hurt participation. a DBPS ready to fly can be less than the price of one brick.

Brian
May 25, 2009, 03:14 AM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
Rockin G's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Elevator
My flying buddies and I have been trying to find a good design like this for indoor combat next winter and this might be the ticket. I've seen some talk about brushless motors on some of the Vapor forums. Has anyone in your group tried a brushless Stubby Delta?
I like what he has done with the concept, I only wish the motor was on the back. Darth, actually there is a smaller version of the speedwing that may be better for us...Micro Speedwing
May 25, 2009, 03:49 PM
Fly long and land softly
Jim_Marconnet's Avatar

Tiny Vapor Combat update - Streamers!


I un-Velcroed the Vapor brick from my Micro-Stubby Delta and used Uhu Creative for Styrofoam to glue the brick in place on top the wing. Much stiffer! Good idea, poor implementation - I got glue in the linear servo gears and had a difficult time getting it out and the servos working again. Have not flown it since, but hope to tonight st St. Mary's.

I took another look at the Vapor fuselage and realized that the brick and the motor/gearbox are already a nice distance apart on the fuselage carbon square. That means that the section from the motor, thru and just past the brick, could be used intact and glued/taped to the wing top or bottom surface, as appropriate. Either put the prop facing forwards or backwards. You may need to reverse the brick in the square holding bracket to get the elevons working correct direction. The prop, of course, would need to be reversed if the motor was put on the back, and the motor leads reversed. And the CG set appropriately.

Anyway, that looks really promising. Now if I can just figure out a way to make the wing much lighter since it's no longer a structural member....

In the meantime, I cut out some narrow TP streamers and used Scotch Tape to fasten them to the tailskids of two of my Vapors for streamer combat. Others joined in, and soon we had 5 planes of various sizes and descriptions all chasing each other around. That gives me some combat practice till I can get this brick-based plane worked out.

Jim
May 25, 2009, 04:12 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
Rockin G's Avatar
Any way you can make it a pusher or a mid ingine mount. I dont like the prop up front for full contact combat...Not as fragile as those props are.
May 29, 2009, 11:06 PM
Registered User
I just made one and they fly great
Jun 15, 2009, 02:13 PM
foamanologist
customminatures's Avatar
I will be selling these soon and would work out perfectly for indoor combat!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...croFlea022.jpg


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help Razor rough start-up & kickback FlyboyFlorida Power Systems 9 Oct 18, 2003 05:44 PM
Inexpensive Li-Poly start-up? NewbieX Batteries and Chargers 1 Sep 26, 2003 05:43 PM
Hacker Acro violent start-up Bill Mixon Power Systems 7 Jun 14, 2003 06:09 PM
Weird start up.Mega 16/15/5,any answers plese? bipeflyer Power Systems 4 Apr 14, 2003 01:18 AM
Hornet Start up problems??? crux12 Electric Heli Talk 2 Jul 23, 2002 02:14 AM