Jun 09, 2009, 04:13 PM
I recommend wearing gloves...lol
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2009, 02:10 AM
COFPV Addict
To do hydrolysis of water, you'll need an electrolyte, (such as adding salt to the water). I agree with above posts, that it is dangerous. I once saw Mr. Wizard on Nickelodian do hydrolysis of water inside a coke bottle, and capture the gasses by tying a latex ballon on top of it. He then extracted the balloon and tied it off and let it raise up by tying a string to it. He then proceeded to hold up a lit torch at the end of a long pole to the ballon. BOOM, the balloon exploded. Very dangerouse combo man, hydrogen and oxygen. I once did some hydrolysis by inserting 2 electrodes into salty water and applying FULL 120 VOLTS from the wall socket. It made MASSIVE amounts of gas with bubbles POURING up from the electrodes. I held a lit match up over the bubble stream and lit the little packets of gas. DANGEROUS, but then again I was just a kid playing around.
Jun 11, 2009, 02:50 AM
Darwin Awards Nominee
Thread OP
I would think that the most dangerous thing about that is the 120 volts. I mean, that's fatal. Little explosions are bad, but not fatal if you're not an idiot (which you're obviously not, because you're not dead.)

Yeah, im thinking about coating something in a mold of hot-glue and trying to seal it like that. problem is, i'ts a base and hot-glue might get eaten away, and that hot glue stops sticking in water.
Jun 11, 2009, 05:15 PM
I'm really eager to see the future entries on your behalf at DarwinAwards.com
Jun 11, 2009, 07:47 PM
Kiowa Driver
brave soul
Jun 14, 2009, 01:14 AM
Darwin Awards Nominee
Thread OP
Well, i figured out how to isolate the copper. Just coat the whole thing in hot glue. Then put it in the freezer to dry quicker. Thing is, the carbon/graphite kinda dissolved. There was less of it so i'm not worried about major inefficiencys resulting of it.

What are better electrodes. Not al, mg, fe, cu. Stainless steal? i doubt it, but... worth a try.
Jun 14, 2009, 11:19 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
This is why I'm against the whole hydrogen fuel cell thing. I don't relish my neighbor Leroy tooling on the car in the driveway.
Jun 15, 2009, 03:20 AM
COFPV Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak_o_Shadows
I would think that the most dangerous thing about that is the 120 volts. I mean, that's fatal. Little explosions are bad, but not fatal if you're not an idiot (which you're obviously not, because you're not dead.)

Yeah, im thinking about coating something in a mold of hot-glue and trying to seal it like that. problem is, i'ts a base and hot-glue might get eaten away, and that hot glue stops sticking in water.
Yes, I'm an Electronics Engineer now. I did the experiment 'cause I was young, curious, and not as smart/wise/experienced as I am now.
120 volts is NOT dangerous IF you handle it correctly (DON'T touch the conductor carrying it or let it touch any part of your skin.) Pretty simple.

I don't see how your idea to coat the copper with "hot glue" will work. I don't think "hot glue" is a conductor, so you will get no hydrolysis.

I'd GIVE UP on the hydrogen blimp idea. I considered it too, to save money but I don't want my blimp to end up like the "Hindenburg", or someone or their property to be damaged.
Jun 15, 2009, 03:45 AM
Darwin Awards Nominee
Thread OP
well, i mean seal the copper inside hot glue with just the carbon contact sticking out.
Jun 17, 2009, 12:51 PM
Its all fun
You seem to be very good at ignoring advice. Are you really on a death-wish? Can you please set up a video of your experiements so it can be used to prevent future situations like yours.
Jun 18, 2009, 06:44 PM

Darwin Card

He is about to scream out , "Oh the humanity!".
Jun 25, 2009, 02:02 AM
Darwin Awards Nominee
Thread OP
Well, i found some pure carbon, so when i get around to sealing that in, i think i've got it working perfectly. New thing is to somehow find out how to get a baloon. aluminium foil? lol?
Jun 25, 2009, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak_o_Shadows
What are better electrodes. Not al, mg, fe, cu. Stainless steal? i doubt it, but... worth a try.
I think you want a platinum or stainless steel.
Jun 29, 2009, 01:57 PM
Black Shire
In the 1950s, a surplus U.S. Navy blimp (a Goodyear K-Class ship, if I recall correctly) was bought by a German brewery called Underberg for advertising use. They inflated it with hydrogen. It flew safely in spite of the pilot's actions, as he smoked cigarettes in flight and flicked the ashes out of the control car window!

-- Jason
Jul 03, 2009, 10:26 PM
Potential Future Has-Been
What's with all the hydrogen phobes on here? They still fly manned hydgrogen balloons in the UK. Aside from the Hindenburg and the war zeppelins taken out by enemy fire, the Germans managed the hazards of hydrogen with a pretty good record. I've made hydrogen from pouring hydrochloric acid over zinc bars in a beer bottle with a rubber stopper to fill rubber balloons and intentionally set the balloons on fire at arms lenght without "explosions" and "shrapnel." You just get a poof and a small fireball, and maybe a few singed arm hairs. Obviously a larger blimp would have a larger fireball, but there still has to be a source of ignition and oxygen mixed in with the hydrogen for the whole thing to just blow. Note that even the Hindenburg did not just explode like a bomb, but rather burned gradually where the hydrogen was spilling out and mixing with the air.

Quick Reply