This thread is privately moderated by swallabat, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 14, 2009, 07:04 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

I hate Walkera and Twister/Jperkins.

Title says it all really.

How can companies that make complete dross like the walkera 52 with it's 80 minute main motor life, or the incredibly fragile Twister "skylift" (AKA the "egglift") stay in business?

And before anyone says, it has to be that way for technical reasons, NO IT DOESN'T!! Some firms DO make strong, durable and reasonably priced helicopters.

O.K. Rant over, I'll try and post something useful next time...
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2014, 04:38 PM
Thread OP

5 years later...

How time flies.
Well, I proved to be MUCH better at fixing them than flying them!

5 years later having gone though a variety of helicopters, I look back and see I was COMPLETELY RIGHT. Walkera and Perkins are indeed peddlers of dreck. When I discovered "nine eagles" things got a lot better for me, and I actually started to put in more flying hours than fixing hours.

After a brief dalliance with an esky king, which I rapidly replaced with a century/Gulang 450 (now known as KDS) a much better made helicopter IMHO, I took a rest from the expense of breaking 450's and learned to fly CP with a Blade MCPx which apart from the almost criminally fragile canopy mounting pins and annoying requirement to reseat the main rotor cog after every hard landing is a bit of a trouper actually, and I'm glad I bought that one (o.k. those three...)

Since it was always my wish to do FPV, the emergence of the GPS enabled quadcopter with it's superior durabilty, and slightly reduced danger to innocent bystanders, means that my helicopters are now pretty much retired and one by one as I find people who are willing to give me a half way decent price for practically unused 450's (just don't ask me how many I ended up collecting, it's a sickness I tell ya!) my helicopter collection is slowly reducing. I'll probably keep a gulang or a tarot450 and put an arduo-pilot FC in it eventually.

I always wanted a CopterX but when I finally got one (FBL too!) I found it to be a big disappointment, and not nearly as well made as (say) the KDS/Gulang, the servos being particularly throwaway, and the regulator runs way too hot for my tastes. I eventually found that I like Hitec HS65's although I found a cheap hobby king servo that seems to be as precise on the bench as the HS65 but I have yet to fly em...

Needless to say, if anyone is wishing to trade, I'm interested in quad and FPV parts, and I have a LOT of 450's and parts...
Aug 28, 2015, 06:20 PM
Thread OP

Love at last!

I bought me a hubsan H107d and it's the most fun I have yet had in RC.

I was just getting the hang of higher energy manoevers when the main PCB failed, but the replacement part was cheap, arrived from china within a fortnight and now we are back in business...

Apart from the electrical failure, it's been practically indestructible, the radio and the video range is superb and I've come to regard the little feller almost with affection.

I use a skyrc 4 way charger because it tells me how much charge my batteries have taken as well as handling my MCPx batteries. 4 batteries back to back is nearly half an hour of flight, which is plenty for me.

It's a winner, because if it's raining, I can fly it around the house but despite the miniscule size it goes well out doors too. Write your phone number on it with indelible marker though would be a good idea as fpv flight can easily turn into lost quad. I found mine when I lost it, but it seems a fair few people do not...
Aug 02, 2017, 12:37 PM
Thread OP

The sickness rages on...

Well, I continued buying wounded craft and fixing them on the whole rather sucessfully right up until I bought my first APM quadcopter, a poorly Spidex..

Quickly followed by my second quadcopter (x525 bought to learn to fly, rather than risking the immensly expensive spidex airframe) a couple of cx20's, An F450, two reptiles, most of a hex, and a walkera qx350. Oh, and a wl-toys V303 just to try try a different FC....

Yeah, I can do the hardware good it seems, but the software, oo that's nasty...

Most hours flown remains on toys, either hubsan H107, Bwhoop or, (when I can get it to bind) cheerson cx32.

Most time wasted award (since the skylift saga) is currently held by the eachine racer 180 tilt rotor... PnF = Plug 'n' Fail..
Last edited by swallabat; Sep 01, 2018 at 08:43 PM.
Aug 01, 2019, 02:53 AM

Need your help to find my lost cat!

Bet
Aug 01, 2019, 03:00 AM

Need your help to find lost cat!

Hey Swallbat, I've been linked to your post #95 to this thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-for-R-C/page7 by someone in another forum.

I'm desperate to find my cat but understand absolutely nothing of radio frequency and engineering, so I'd be immensely grateful if you could let me know how you eventually managed to find your cat with the TabCat locator.

My situation is that my cat has now been missing 6 weeks. When she disappeared, she was wearing a TabCat radio frequency locator on her collar. I tried using the associated remote to locate her, but the area is so vast and rural (trees everywhere blocking the signal) that the remote was next to useless. In theory, it should cover up to 100 meters, but in practice maybe 30. Also, I had the same issues with it seemingly breaking and than having to replace the battery after an extended search.

A contact who's helping me to find her has got hold of a bigger and more powerful device, an "SDR receiver" (namely, the HackRF One by Great Scott Gadgets purchased off Amazon). They thought that they could scan the area and pick up the TabCat tag signal. However, the tag will only emit a signal if the remote associated with it (mine) is used.
I contacted TabCat to ask if there's any way to copy the code/RF from the tag's TabCat remote to this new device, but they weren't very cooperative and just said it can't be done due to security reasons.

I know absolutely nothing about radio frequency and how this works, but I'm desperate to find my cat and am hoping someone here could shed a light on whether it's possible or not. Thank you so much for your help.
Aug 01, 2019, 06:06 AM
Thread OP
I gave up on tabcat and replaced it with a tiny GPS tracker from ebay. It was cheap and worked much better. I could track my cat from my laptop and since it used mobile phone technolgy, the range was vast.

In your situation, there is only one thing I know of that could work, but you will need help and a WI-FI YAGI antenna. A YAGI will give you much better range and directivity. You will need a radio engineer to fit it, I woudl suggest you reach out to your nearest radio amateur (NOT a CB'er, because they won't be used to working with the high frequencys that tabcat uses). Whilst you are at it, get him to fit a better battery too!

POST number 57 in teh thread you referred to earlier shows you the sort of thing I am talking about.

I REALLY hope you find your cat soon, if there is anything else I can do to help please let me know.
Last edited by swallabat; Aug 01, 2019 at 06:22 AM.

Quick Reply