Jul 27, 2001, 08:52 AM
Thread OP

E-Streak best"Bang for the Buck" ???

Have been selling off my "nitro burners" and ready to increase my E-Fleet to 7. Do not have a pattern type and impressed with friends E-streak with MagMayhem power. The price seems right only I wish the supplier would leave out the Goldfire motor and knock
5 bucks off the postage.
My question --- is the E-Streak the best buy for the buck for aerobatics? The MagMayhem the best motor for the buck ? Have about 100 bucks burning a hole in my pocket.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2001, 09:27 AM
Consider Aveox Embat without motor $60 and Balsacraft Easy Street. Much newer designs than Electrostreak. These kits are machined or laser cut, not die crunched like E-Streak.
Jul 27, 2001, 10:13 AM
Visitor from Reality
Have to second the Embat. Sell off a couple more oilybirds and spring for the new Jeti Phasoar 30/3 and a couple of ten cell packs, or an Aveox 1409/3y if you get real good prices for the oilybirds.

That combo eats e-streaks for snacks without slowing down Not only faster, the Embat is a far more capable aerobatic platform, with wing servos, better RC gear access and a full depth rudder. It's a very strong model - I've been bellyflopping onto rough grass for nearly three years and the only "damage" is scratched covering film on the nose underside.

It's so good at bellyflopping, I have been using the same Aeronaut 8.5 x 7 since I built her. Handlaunching this 54 oz model involves a standing push off - 310 watts helps here

If it really is down to the MM, go with the 'streak, as it has a much lighter structure. There's a few things you can do fairly easily (and cheap-ish) to get it up to Embat standards.

Regards

Dereck

Regards

Dereck
Jul 27, 2001, 11:58 AM
I have built and am currently flying both airframes. I agree with Dereck that the Embat on 10 cells and a 1409/3y does eat the Estreak on a ferrite motor for lunch--but you could buy a lot of lunches for the price difference!

You sound to be an experienced pilot and as good as the Estreak can be, you will eventually want more. Both kits cost about the same so it boils down to whether you want to spend $100 for a motor and controller for the Estreak or $200 for a Jeti brushless combo--an option that was not available when I bought my Aveox.

If I were you, I'd save my pennies, buy the Embat and the Jeti 30/3, and join the "10-Cell Club."

If you only want to spend $100 on your power train, buy the lighter Estreak, build it light, and power it with a $50 Velkom 2410 and a 35 amp ESC of your choice. You'll have a great time, but you'll probably wish you had bought the Embat.

Eric

Jul 27, 2001, 01:03 PM
Arrrh.... but if an estreak has same or better power than an embat wont it eat embats for breakfast (or at least for accelerating vertically up

Being 7-10 oz lighter ? (easy... either leave space for 10 cells, make up lumpy packs to fit bay, or run motor on a few more amps - no probs as they dont cost much )

See threads on using $24 endoplasma motors and 3 to 5:1 gears $15.

Personally I prefer to spread my budget over several models - and part of the fun is optimising each for 'bag & buck'.

After IC's I'm too always looking for new quiet electro challenges and apart from making streaks go faster other options may be....

Embat..actually costs about same as estreak and just because aveox sell em doesn't mean you have to spend $$$ as only way of getting serious performance
Robbe Tigra (pylonish aerobatic)
Ripmax Alliance (smaller all foam moulded aerobatic),
Some f5B's / hotships have awsome stats and tho not exactly patern ships can neatly carve up huge chunks of sky.

Just my 1p worth !!!!

mark

Jul 27, 2001, 05:18 PM
If you're looking for the most bang for the buck, I'd say the E-Streak/MM combination is pretty hard to beat. Sure the Velcom motor will work better, but it costs more than twice as much as a MM. Sure the Embat with a brushless is better yet, but even more expensive.

My point is that these other combinations are all great, but the E-streak/MM flies very well.
Jul 27, 2001, 11:29 PM
I have an Embat and must caution that the building process is not fun. Instructions leave much room for improvement.

However, performance with a 1409 3Y on 10 2,400's swinging a 9 x 6 folder will be fun.

Hobby Lobby is selling a fairly new planetary gearbox (3.8 to 1 ratio) that would work great on an Endoplasma. The gearbox is in the low $20 range. Just prop for 40 amps max.

Regards,

Jeff
http://home.earthlink.net/~jsmeyers/index.html

Jul 28, 2001, 10:32 AM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
I love my E-streaks. I have flown them with the stock Goldfire motor on 7 then 8 cells as well as the MM on 8 cells, an Astro 05 on 8 cells, Astro 15 on 10 cells, and now an Aveox 1015/1.5Y geared 2:1 on 8 cells. I haven't tried a Velkom 24/10 in it yet but from Eric Bjorn's comments it must be very close to the Astro 05 in performance. I don't think you can beat the "bang for the buck" the E-streak would give you with either the MM or the Velkom 24/10. If you will modify the kit by splitting the elevator so that you can include a real rudder ( full length and about 25-35% larger ) it is a much better airplane. I believe the E-Streak is best suited ( just feels lighter on the wing ) as an 8 cell aircraft ( 10-1250's weigh the same and would be OK in a geared set-up ), the Embat on the other hand is a 10 cell ( probably could handle 12 cells OK ) aircraft. It was designed for the Aveox brushless motors....but...a geared (2:1) Velkom 24/10 on 10-12 cells should give similar (but lower ) performance at a much lower cost. I have an Embat ( haven't flown it yet ) and it has a much more robust construction ( not as fragile as the E-Streak ) so it should hold up a bit better on those not so perfect belly landings.
Ed

[This message has been edited by Ed Lyerly (edited 07-28-2001).]
Jul 28, 2001, 04:58 PM
GMM
GMM
I have run some numbers on Motocalc for the MM, and the performance seems identical if not better than the Velkom 24/10 (on 8 cells) with a suitable prop (7 X 4.5 or 7.5 X 4). My question is how does Motocalc compare to the real world. I have seen the E-streak with the Velkom fly, and it is impressive. Can I expect the same real world experience from the MM?

[This message has been edited by GMM (edited 07-28-2001).]
Jul 28, 2001, 06:52 PM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
GMM,
The Velkom is a much more robust product, from the size of the brushes to that big 5mm (won't bend if you crash)output shaft. The MM will perform admirably at 25 amps ....but won't live long at the 30-35 amps you can prop the Velkom for. Just for comparison lets say your 8 cell pack puts out 8 volts continuously. The MM will then give you 200 watts of power (8 volts X 25 amps) ....but the Velkom will give you 280 watts ( 8 volts X 35 amps ). That's 40% more power for $25 more! I believe Eric Bjorn props his with an APC 7X5 E prop and has the timing advanced on his 24/10 one notch from stock. The only downside I see to this is that if you use full throttle a lot ( and you will as power corrupts us all ) your flight times will be shorter.

Jul 28, 2001, 07:51 PM
MKH
MKH
Not long ago, the ultimate 'streak power was a direct cobalt 15 on 10x1700 cells. Now, the Jeti 30-3 is here, and alot lighter than a 15, and the new CP1700's are here, also much lighter than their predecessors. This gear would fit either a 'streak or embat, so take your choice. Come to think, it would power a small to midsized hotliner well, a Q500 racer, most any sportplane designed for a geared 05, scale fighters, aerobats like Dereck's Pandora (aka Skyvolt, modified) and a hangar full of others. Even without gearboxes, these Jetis seem to be very versitile. The 15-3/4 motors might make an 80-85% embat or 'streak really move. The 30-3 is on my short list, since reading Steve Horney's comparison with the 1409-3.
MKH
Jul 29, 2001, 02:18 PM
I just about have my 'streak framed out and should start covering within a week or so. I have a jeti 15/4 ready to go in it. Really looking forward to it. I have read the advice about splitting the elevator/extending the rudder, but I don't think I will to that now. Maybe later?

Leonard

Quick Reply