Dec 20, 2009, 01:50 AM
I'm now 1MikeR
Hey, thanks, I know I gotta tweak it up a notch, but this is only the first one!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 20, 2009, 11:44 AM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmech
Hey, thanks, I know I gotta tweak it up a notch, but this is only the first one!
Its great stuff. I really did not get to spend as much time as I need with mine last season, bought it late in the year. Then I found the need for the Canopy mod, which I am half way through now. This Mod should be a factory item, what a difference it makes to the plane. I also have added a taller set of tires so the ROG take offs will work better. Took off the 1.5 inch tires <at 2.2 grams each> and put on a set of Dubro 2 inch light weight tires <at 3.1 grams each>. I think the 1.8 gram increase will have pay back in the grass. The additional height may also play well for the life of the factory wheel spats having them higher off the ground.
Dec 20, 2009, 12:49 PM
RC Guru
Quote:
What, no rolling harriers?
Dec 20, 2009, 12:50 PM
RC Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoak
So pleased your liking it better. Good flight report, thanks for posting.
Yeah, I like it better, however I still won't give it a higher rating than my other foamies
Dec 20, 2009, 10:18 PM
Goats & Glocks Eat Anything
Really flew the silo hard this weekend. Confidence keeps getting higher. Hard 3D, lots of high dot in the sky vertical, blenders, WOT continuous snap rolls, long hovers, hard punch outs, rapid rolling circles and harriers. Pulling 130mah per minute avg from the packs. She just keeps coming back for more. Had quite a crowd at the park. Passed 80 flights today, and although she shows some cosmetic wear (don't we all !), she still flies great.
Dec 20, 2009, 10:32 PM
I'm now 1MikeR

Speaking of hard 3D..........

Check out this video from today, Pilot is Will Akers
Will Akers Silhouette.AVI (8 min 19 sec)
Dec 21, 2009, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Check out this video from today, Pilot is Will Akers[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBiGMwanj0o"]
Ah..Someone else has a Silo at your club eh? His canopy has been painted or covered with film? There was was several harriers and knife edges going on in that video.

80 flights littleoak? Seriously, I'm sure that plane should show a little wear. Sounds very positive, I can't wait for the weather to get better, i have some catching up to do.
Dec 21, 2009, 11:16 AM
I'm now 1MikeR
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy
Ah..Someone else has a Silo at your club eh? His canopy has been painted or covered with film? There was was several harriers and knife edges going on in that video.

80 flights littleoak? Seriously, I'm sure that plane should show a little wear. Sounds very positive, I can't wait for the weather to get better, i have some catching up to do.
Yeah, I think I may have started something at my club! Everyone wants one for X-mas now! Hope Santa has stock in Electrifly! Anyway here is Will flinging his fav plane around again! If this is getting old for you eastern folks, let me know,lol.
Yes, he covered the canopy with black sticky back covering among other things. He has really beefed up his airframe. he has a 450 sized motor in his with 1300 mah batts, the new hitec digital coreless 8 gram servo's (which he says are great!) and so on. Needless to say it has to be heavier than your typical setup!! Enjoy the Vid, I'm sure you'll like it!

Wills 3D Acrobatic Silhouette, amazing flying!! (6 min 53 sec)
Last edited by vinmech; Dec 21, 2009 at 11:28 AM.
Dec 21, 2009, 12:20 PM
I am debating whether or not to get another one of these things. I really liked the way mine flew. It was just way to easy for me to destroy though. I still want one when I see it on the shelf at the LHS. I guess my options would either be another Silhouette or a DW Foamies Skua. I betcha I know what Xpress will say!
Dec 21, 2009, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDirtRC
I am debating whether or not to get another one of these things. I really liked the way mine flew. It was just way to easy for me to destroy though. I still want one when I see it on the shelf at the LHS. I guess my options would either be another Silhouette or a DW Foamies Skua. I betcha I know what Xpress will say!

You honestly expect any of us to think XPress has negative thoughts?

I too had the same fear being a die hard EPP builder. It flys so nice and slow, it really is easy to keep under control. Give it a go.
Dec 21, 2009, 04:11 PM
RC Guru
Quote:
Having flown the crap out of my silo and having gone through 3 Skuas, I'm still going to side with the Skua. It's better at rolling harriers, spins, and holding a better downline speed (my silo at 15oz seems to be a drag racer on the downlines). Also, it's hard to beat Mikes customer service

Don't get me wrong, the Silo flies great, but it's still got it's share of problems still.

Also, I can't seem to do KE loops without the silo coupling out towards the belly
Dec 21, 2009, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
Having flown the crap out of my silo and having gone through 3 Skuas, I'm still going to side with the Skua. It's better at rolling harriers, spins, and holding a better downline speed (my silo at 15oz seems to be a drag racer on the downlines). Also, it's hard to beat Mikes customer service
Don't get me wrong, the Silo flies great, but it's still got it's share of problems still.
Also, I can't seem to do KE loops without the silo coupling out towards the belly
Not knowing the Skuas by name, I had to look and see. I am not sure how you could compare a bi plane to the silo. Twice the wings and a flat plat spells SLOW I can now see where you would have issues with the downlines.

My i3D bi Plane is the master of coupling towards the gear, KE is difficult let alone a KE loop, my Silo does both by its self, so I know it is making up for my weak stick skills.
Dec 21, 2009, 08:48 PM
Quote:
If your thinking of progressing to balsa pattern or 3d plane get another silo. If you want ultra light and floaty indoor, get the Skua. I think it's that simple. The silo has allowed me to progress and successfully fly my 3dhs extra sr. Having flown ultra light foamies on occasions then I know the silo will help you do 3D on a bigger, heavier, faster and all round more powerful plane, an ultra light will help, but it's not as good an analog, just too slow and floaty. But whatever takes your fancy, or get both ;.)

ps. I love fast rolling downlines (draino's) from a dot in the sky then snapping into a hover, the silo does them beautifully. no fluttering for me. I am blessed with year round outdoor flying, so if your cold and windy right now, then indoor maybe your best shot. Your in DFW so you should have pretty nice all year weather.
Last edited by littleoak; Dec 21, 2009 at 08:53 PM.
Dec 22, 2009, 12:25 AM
RC Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoak
If you want ultra light and floaty indoor, get the Skua.
The Skua was not made for indoor, hence the 6mm construction, 33" wingspan, and AUW of 14-16oz. IMO, even at 16oz, it tracks way better than the Silo, and comparing to my buddies PA Katana, the Skua flies the most similar (he didn't even like my Silo, said it flew like crap).
Dec 22, 2009, 08:43 AM
OK, I see what your saying. One other point is the Skua is $130, so if your flying on a budget that's pretty steep, but I'm sure it's a nice fun plane.

I never put my Silo together to be Ultralight, I fly mine like VinMech's buddy a little on the heavy side, so maybe the extra weight makes it perform differently, more like an ultra light balsa plane. It remains my go to plane for practicing 3D on once I have nailed it in the sim.

Thanks for giving the Silo a shot and posting, that's what this forum is all about.

Quick Reply