Dec 29, 2009, 07:08 PM
Goats & Glocks Eat Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmech
One thing to check, when installing the wing, I glued the wing to the bottom saddle. there is a little wiggle room there, if you glued middle or top saddle??
Mike,

In preparation for build of Silo 2 - Here you said you glued the wing to the bottom of the saddle. So you perfectly aligned the wing to sit symmetrically in the bottom of the saddle and then CA'd that first? I take it you also glued the top of the wing to the fuse after the bottom had set (sounds like a stupid question, but I'm just checking)? You are right that there is some 'wiggle room' to slightly miss-align the main wing by a fraction. Please let me know. Thanks! Anyone else feel free to chip in.

Also anyone flying with 5g servos. I built my last one with HXT900 (9g) servos and they were great, but I was wondering if I should order HXT500 (5g) for a little weight saving, but was a little concerned that they would not be able hold surfaces firm in harder 3D moves (blenders for example).

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2009, 07:19 PM
RC Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoak
Mike,

In preparation for build of Silo 2 - Here you said you glued the wing to the bottom of the saddle. So you perfectly aligned the wing to sit symmetrically in the bottom of the saddle and then CA'd that first? I take it you also glued the top of the wing to the fuse after the bottom had set (sounds like a stupid question, but I'm just checking)? You are right that there is some 'wiggle room' to slightly miss-align the main wing by a fraction. Please let me know. Thanks! Anyone else feel free to chip in.

Also anyone flying with 5g servos. I built my last one with HXT900 (9g) servos and they were great, but I was wondering if I should order HXT500 (5g) for a little weight saving, but was a little concerned that they would not be able hold surfaces firm in harder 3D moves (blenders for example).

Thanks
I'd not use the HXT500s. The HXT900's are the best imo
Dec 29, 2009, 07:40 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Cheers

Let me first say that I completely agree with Xpress on the 5 Gram "any" type servos. I like to build light, but that is one thing I dont mind the extra weight. I run the Futaba s3110 or s3008 servos and they are 9 gram.

I did a very simular thing that mikeeeeeee did, I set the wing in the saddle and noticed the play space so I used UHU Creativ on the bottom of the saddle, it has a tad more body <and flex> then the CA.

I turned the plane inverted with the wing in the saddle, used Masking tape on the wing and fuse and then squeezed the UHU inbetween, cleaned off the excess, flipped it over and trued it all up. 30 minutes later it was set, did the same on the top side, the UHU has the body to fill the little bit of gap. I finished it with a smidge of hot glue on each corner which makes a quick check point after a rough landing if anything tweeked enough to pop it loose.

Glad to hear you have another one getting ready to go.

Ron

Quote:
Mike,

Thanks
Dec 29, 2009, 08:44 PM
Ron,

Where do you get your UHU creativ from? I think Michaels may sell it, but I'll have to swing by and check.

Thanks
Dec 29, 2009, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Ron,

Where do you get your UHU creativ from? I think Michaels may sell it, but I'll have to swing by and check.

Thanks
They pulled it from the shelf, I have been ordering it off Amazon in 6 packs. 8)'

RCFoam sells UHU Por which is the UK Version <same stuff>. Or let me know, I postal a tube to you.
Dec 29, 2009, 09:59 PM
This one ?

http://www.amazon.com/1-12-POLYSTYRE...141906&sr=1-19
Dec 29, 2009, 10:01 PM
That is the stuff. I use it on all "eattable" foams and on EPP

For EPP I use Welder.... It eats all other foams. 8)
Dec 30, 2009, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy
That is the stuff. I use it on all "eattable" foams and on EPP

For EPP I use Welder.... It eats all other foams. 8)
I used the HXT900s on 3/4 planes but have been retro fiting them back to Hitec 55s. The HXT900s just don't center as well after a period of time. I lost both a Silo and Pluma due to these servos.

I stated noticing that after launch/takeoff I'd have to trim the plane. Then after a few manuevers have to trim again. After 20/30 flights I couldn't trim them that well as it seemed the floated and never centered correctly anymore. After going back to the HS 55s the problem went away.

I've also been experimenting with the Parkzone PKZ1061 digital mini servo (same as on stock Stryker) and must say I think I'll be using this servo in the future instead of the HS55. It's by far the best mini servo I've used yet for consistancy and durability. It's only a $12 servo so it doesn't add a tremendous amount of cost to a small model and I like the piece of mind I'm getting from them.

Carlo
Dec 30, 2009, 01:12 AM
RC Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars
I've also been experimenting with the Parkzone PKZ1061 digital mini servo
Weight?
Dec 30, 2009, 01:23 AM
Honestly I don't know but it's the same form factor as the HXT900. I've got two still in the package so I'll weigh them on my gram scale at work tomorrow and let you know.

Overall however I'd guess they are an 8-10 gram servo. Definately worth the upgrade IMHO.

Carlo
Dec 30, 2009, 01:30 AM
I'm now 1MikeR
Quote:
Mike,

Thanks
Hey Littleoak,

On the wing what I did was align the wing to the bottom wing saddle, square to the fuse and spot ca glue it to hold its position. Then I used RC/56 glue, which I have found works great with this foam. Similar to Uhu glue in its properties, and dries clear as well, but may take a little longer to dry. I happen to have it, that is why I used it. Uhu is tough to find around here.
RC/56 goes on pretty much like white caulking, keep a little bit of water to dip your fingertip into to smooth out the beads with and when it dries clear overnight, you will hardly know it is there! This stuff is easy water clean-up before it dries!
I ran a bead on the outside as well as inside the fuse on the wing and stab.
I also used a bit around the motor mount and bulkheads to beef up the weak factory glue jobs.

I don't recommend the 5 gram servo's, I used these 8 gram turnigy's, after having used the 9 gram hxt servo's and they seem to be better at centering and torque. I probably have over 50 flights on these so far without any problems!

Good luck buddy, Mikeeee
Dec 30, 2009, 06:34 AM
Those Turnigy servos seem really nice, I have a couple of the 5 grams just to test. I agree on the centering of the hxt 9 grams, that is one reason I stick with the Futaba and I also have some HS-50 and HS-55 as well. I have stripped a couple HS-55s, knock on wood the Futabas have held up.

I have a Parkzone Typhoon 2 3D, I am not sure what servos it has but them silly things make soooo much noise even when they are not moving, its funny.
Dec 30, 2009, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy
Those Turnigy servos seem really nice, I have a couple of the 5 grams just to test. I agree on the centering of the hxt 9 grams, that is one reason I stick with the Futaba and I also have some HS-50 and HS-55 as well. I have stripped a couple HS-55s, knock on wood the Futabas have held up.

I have a Parkzone Typhoon 2 3D, I am not sure what servos it has but them silly things make soooo much noise even when they are not moving, its funny.

They are noisy servos but most digital servos are noisy. I know they hold up very well and I've never had a centering issue with them. If they work on the Typhoon 2 3D and Stryker models you know they will work just fine on light weight foam planes.
Dec 30, 2009, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars
They are noisy servos but most digital servos are noisy. I know they hold up very well and I've never had a centering issue with them. If they work on the Typhoon 2 3D and Stryker models you know they will work just fine on light weight foam planes.
These are heavy / heavier then what I use on most foamies <sub 1 pound>. They do seem to hold a load well and center.
Dec 30, 2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I will order the Turnigy 8g or the Parkzone servo's and give them a try. I never had any centering issues with the HXT900's that I have noticed to date, but I will take your advice and switch. I have used them in all my planes and my heli. I have another build in the production line ahead of the Silo, so maybe another couple of weeks before she's up, cause I'll have to wait for the servo's to arrive.

All the best for 2010!

Quick Reply