Jul 09, 2018, 08:25 PM
There's a metric version of the plans in this thread also. If I remember correctly it had the blank pages removed also.... I'll look back and post the link.

Here it is....

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26210639

ouch... still 45 pages

Not sure if anyone has built from these plans. I see one difference right off. There is one too many top canopy's. If you look in the parts breakdown. numbers 1 and 7. In Apachepilot's original there was only one of those on top, not top and bottom.
Last edited by gstreaks; Jul 09, 2018 at 08:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2018, 07:36 AM
Jack
Here are three new versions of the Divinity 48 or Divinity II plans

Divinity2_parts_full_grid_p1.pdf = Divinity II - full - single sheet - with 1" grid

Divinity2_parts_tiled_grid_ltr.pdf = Divinity II - tiled - ltr - with 1" grid

Divinity2_parts_tiled_grid_A4.pdf = Divinity II - tiled - A4 - with 1" grid

By using the 1" grid on the tiled versions it gives you many more points that can be used for aligning the sheets when taping the sheets together and it also let you check the scaling factor. If the scaling is right each grid is 1" (25.4mm) square.

Jack
Last edited by jackerbes; Jul 10, 2018 at 08:47 AM.
Jul 10, 2018, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes
Here are three new versions of the Divinity 48 or Divinity II plans

Divinity2_parts_full_grid_p1.pdf = Divinity II - full - single sheet - with 1" grid

Divinity2_parts_tiled_grid_ltr.pdf = Divinity II - tiled - ltr - with 1" grid

Divinity2_parts_tiled_grid_A4.pdf = Divinity II - tiled - A4 - with 1" grid

By using the 1" grid on the tiled versions it gives you many more points that can be used for aligning the sheets when taping the sheets together and it also let you check the scaling factor. If the scaling is right each grid is 1" (25.4mm) square.

Jack
Hi, Jack.
As a Professional Engineer (Retired), I still abhor waste, which is one of the reasons I added cropping capabilities to ScaleAndTile3. Using the cropping capabilities, I see no need for more than six (6) Letter-size tiles, with actual dimensions of 8 inches x 10.5 inches, to get the required patterns. Glen Weber would see immediately how this would be done, except that his drawings would have artistic beauty that is unmatched by computer-generated artwork.
Cheers,
Bill Segraves
Developer of ScaleAndTile
Latest blog entry: My Email Address
Jul 11, 2018, 01:50 AM
Thanks for all the answers guys!

I want to build 2 wings, one for slow FPV, and one very slow wing. So I guess I should go for a KFm-2 or KFm-3, right? I think I will build a third one with a KFm-6 airfoil too. Looks too good!

I have a cheap hot wire cutter for around $8 on the way from Hobbyking.

I think I will make templates out of cardboard, and follow the edges with the hot wire cutter. I wil see how it works.

EDIT: this one: https://hobbyking.com/de_de/hot-wire...t-eu-plug.html
Last edited by SilbernerSurfer; Jul 11, 2018 at 01:56 AM.
Jul 11, 2018, 07:29 AM
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by segraves
Hi, Jack.
As a Professional Engineer (Retired), I still abhor waste, which is one of the reasons I added cropping capabilities to ScaleAndTile3. Using the cropping capabilities, I see no need for more than six (6) Letter-size tiles, with actual dimensions of 8 inches x 10.5 inches, to get the required patterns. Glen Weber would see immediately how this would be done, except that his drawings would have artistic beauty that is unmatched by computer-generated artwork.
Cheers,
Bill Segraves
Developer of ScaleAndTile
I guess I don't know how to do that then. When you mention 6 pages is that for all the parts or for a plan view of the finished build?

When1 wanted to take the 70 page tiled single sheet files and eliminate all of the pages that did not have the airplane parts lines on them I did this:

1 - Go to this page and download and install the Basic version of PDFSAM for your computer

https://pdfsam.org/download-pdfsam-basic/

2 - Open any single sheet drawing file with a *.pdf viewer and make a list of the page you want to include in a new file. This would be a list of the pages with parts lines on them.

I used the following list and the syntax is 1-5 for pages one to five or just 5 for just page 5. For a series of selections, separate the selections with a comma and a space. I entered this in PDFSAM for the letter sized tile file by choosing only the pages with lines of the aircraft parts (note the notes or other text on the drawing).

2-6, 9-12, 15-30, 32-35, 38-40, 46, 50-56

When I processed that with PDFSAM it gave me a 40 page *.pdf file with just parts lines and grids on the pages. PDFSAM got the page count down to 40 from 70.

The processed file is attached, I have not printed a page or pages yet to check the scaling and to see how it worked but hopefully will do that later today...

Jack
Last edited by jackerbes; Jul 11, 2018 at 08:24 AM.
Jul 11, 2018, 08:49 AM
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilbernerSurfer
Thanks for all the answers guys!

I want to build 2 wings, one for slow FPV, and one very slow wing. So I guess I should go for a KFm-2 or KFm-3, right? I think I will build a third one with a KFm-6 airfoil too. Looks too good!

I have a cheap hot wire cutter for around $8 on the way from Hobbyking.

I think I will make templates out of cardboard, and follow the edges with the hot wire cutter. I wil see how it works.

EDIT: this one: https://hobbyking.com/de_de/hot-wire...t-eu-plug.html
By the plans this plane has up to seven layers as seen in the world view drawing and is a KFm6 airfoil with the 7th layer being for mounting the electronics component and to further stiffen the wing.

You could build with a flat bottom as a KFm3 and it will all depend on the character or qualities of your foam and the number of joints across the wing as to whether or not that would be stiff enough. And the option for more stiffening if needed would be to embed spars (small wooden dowels or CF or fibreglass tubes) across the wing.

I think the KFm3 with a flat bottom and two layers on top would be the best choice for the slower flying wings and the weight will be a factor in the speed it will fly at.

Because of the inherent stability of the KFm wings, when you fly level and slow them down you can pitch the nose up a little to expose the bottom layer to airstream and further slow it down, you'll just have to experiment with things and figure it out.

If you want more info on building in sparts, my thread on the KFm9 Big Blue glider might be helpful. That is a flat bottomed wing with three steps on top:

Big Blu 96 - 96" KFm9 Winged Glider - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1470211

Jack
Last edited by jackerbes; Jul 11, 2018 at 09:27 AM.
Jul 11, 2018, 03:59 PM
Quote:
I guess I don't know how to do that then. When you mention 6 pages is that for all the parts or for a plan view of the finished ...
Hi, Jack.
Mea culpa! I guess my Glen Weber hint was insufficient.
I had noted that the World View is symmetrical about a line drawn through the nose in the drawing of the assembled model. This line of symmetry is not depicted on the drawing. Using the cropping capability of ScaleAndTile, the 24-inch wide left half of the drawing can be gotten out of the World View as 6 tiles, 3 letter-size tiles per row, and 2 rows.
Cheers,
Bill
Last edited by segraves; Jul 15, 2018 at 01:32 PM.
Jul 11, 2018, 08:51 PM
Jack
Hi Bill,

First an introduction of you to the others here - For those that don't know him, Bill Segraves (not Seagraves as I have been spelling it) is the generous genius that brought us the wonderful Scale & Tile java script that we use to scale down drawings to print them on smaller sheets so we can tape them together to make full sized foam cutting templates.

Bill,

The three drawings that can be downloaded from post #1 are these, and the images show the contents as seen in the first two files (the third file is the tiled version of the second file):

Divinity2_world_view.pdf (produced by Scale & Tile 3 according properties, size is 107.39" x 46.02")

Divinity2_parts_full.pdf (produced by Scale & Tile 3 according properties, size is 107.39" x 46.02")

Divinity2_parts_full_tile (produced by Scale & Tile 3 according properties, 70 pages, Government Letter, Portrait (8.00 × 10.00 inch)

All of those were done by me back in 2009 posted here to simplify and improve the building of the Divinity II.

So I don't know what you used for the work you describe. There have been two or three Divinity threads, and maybe there was an earlier drawing (no longer here) that was replaced by the ones I did in 2009? The plan view here does not have the dividing line you mention...

Jack
Last edited by jackerbes; Jul 13, 2018 at 06:18 PM.
Jul 11, 2018, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Hi Bill,

First an introduction of you to the others here - For those that don't know him, Bill Segraves is the generous genius that brought us the wonderful [ScaleAndTile iText-Java program] that we use to scale down drawings to print them on smaller sheets so we can tape them together to make full sized foam cutting templates.

Bill,

The three drawings that can be downloaded from post #1 are these, and the images show the contents as seen in the first two files (the third file is the tiled version of the second file):

Divinity2_world_view.pdf (produced by Scale & Tile 3 according properties, size is 107.39" x 46.02")

Divinity2_parts_full.pdf (produced by Scale & Tile 3 according properties, size is 107.39" x 46.02")

Divinity2_parts_full_tile (produced by Scale & Tile 3 according properties, 70 pages, Government Letter, Portrait (8.00 × 10.00 inch)

All of those were done by me back in 2009 posted here to simplify and improve the building of the Divinity II.

So I don't know what you used for the work you describe. There have been two or three Divinity threads, and maybe there was an earlier drawing (no longer here) that was replaced by the ones I did in 2009? The plan view here does not have the dividing line you mention...

Jack
Hi, Jack.
The plan view on the left is the one to which I referred, when I wrote that the left half could be tiled with six (6) tiles.
Here’s the procedure I’d follow, if I were doing it:
1. Run the program with Grids, Tile Size=NONE, and Scale Factor=0.75; and Output=DWV_Gridded
2. Count squares for Left, Right, Top, Bottom to get cropping data; and enter said cropping data, as well as Letter Size Tiles.
3. Run the program again, this time with Output=DWV
4. Check to see that you got the desired six (6) tiles.
Cheers,
Bill
Last edited by segraves; Jul 15, 2018 at 01:29 PM.
Jul 12, 2018, 07:45 AM
Jack
Thanks for the step by step explanation!

I'm smarter again and have added that to my S&T notes.

Jack
Jul 12, 2018, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the step by step explanation!

I'm smarter again and have added that to my S&T notes.

Jack
You’re very welcome, Jack.
It took a bit of fiddling with the World View to get the Cropping Data just right. It seems that the Left Hall of the World View is Off a bit, as the Grids showed the Half Span to be 23.9 inches, rather than the 24 inches shown on the drawing. After breakfast, I’ll post a screen shot of the data, in ScaleAndTile3, _v3v, together with the output PDFs of the left half of the World View.
Cheers,
Bill
P.S. To get a Full Span Output, subtract 23.95 from the Right cropping data, and run the program again. You should get twelve (12) tiles.
Last edited by segraves; Aug 09, 2018 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Added Screen Shot and Output Files from ScaleAndTile3, _v3v
Jul 12, 2018, 08:24 AM
Jack
I'm looking forward to that.

One of the reasons many of us want full width wing templates for a build like this is that the material used is less than full span. For this plane it was originally built with the 30" wide 20" high Dollar Tree foam sheets.

So with a flat wing you can lay two sheets side by side and move the templates to the left and right on it to get the joints in the foam well distributed across the wing and not all on the center line.

In the image above the rear view of the layers only shows the vertical lines that represent the outer edges of the parts as they are stacked for assembly but there is also going to be another joint in five of the seven layers to get the 48" width and those are the joints that most of us want to move out of alignment with each other.

Jack
Jul 12, 2018, 02:56 PM
Is a "How to..." about wing geometry for flying wings available?

Quick Reply