48" Divinity II Build***Now with Proof of flight video*** - Page 4 - RC Groups
May 16, 2009, 05:29 PM
you better hope that antenna doesnt get blown back into the prop!
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2009, 05:57 PM
Jack
ApachePilot,

Do you have a set of those wireless FPV headsets? I just realized if you want to fly FPV you need something like that. Or a least some kind of monitor or something.

Jack
May 16, 2009, 06:18 PM
Father Francis, formerly Apach
Jack, yes sir, I have the goggles and a monitor....lol

Heading to the field now, even with the wind, wish me luck....

ApachePilot
May 16, 2009, 08:26 PM

Divinity II as a camera ship, another success...

After taking my wife to the local diner for a ribeye, we headed to the field. Winds were blowing and light was failing on account we are getting another storm this evening. BUt, alas.....I wanted to get a flight in anyways.....

So with the wind blowing, my wife with the camera, I powered up and launched.

The video posted below is of that flight taken just an hour ago. My wife inadvertently hits the wrong button during recording so I didn't capture the launch. It went flawlessly though....But this said, I do not edit my videos, so that you the general consensus may determine for yourselves the truth and practicality of my designs.

I hope you enjoy the short video, and be rest ashured, I am taking Divinity II with me and there will be more video to come.

Winds were blowing at 10-15 mph with 20+ mph gusts....

Divinity II AP/Video test flight (3 min 0 sec)

ApachePilot
May 16, 2009, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApachePilot
After taking my wife to the local diner for a ribeye, we headed to the field. Winds were blowing and light was failing on account we are getting another storm this evening. BUt, alas.....I wanted to get a flight in anyways.....

So with the wind blowing, my wife with the camera, I powered up and launched.

The video posted below is of that flight taken just an hour ago. My wife inadvertently hits the wrong button during recording so I didn't capture the launch. It went flawlessly though....But this said, I do not edit my videos, so that you the general consensus may determine for yourselves the truth and practicality of my designs.

I hope you enjoy the short video, and be rest ashured, I am taking Divinity II with me and there will be more video to come.

Winds were blowing at 10-15 mph with 20+ mph gusts....

ApachePilot
Watching Divinity II fly, you wouldn't think that there was any wind at all. This is a fantastic aircraft in the way it flies and carries its weight.
Congratulations ApachePilot, you've notched another great aircraft on your belt.
May 16, 2009, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickeroo
Watching Divinity II fly, you wouldn't think that there was any wind at all. This is a fantastic aircraft in the way it flies and carries its weight.
Congratulations ApachePilot, you've notched another great aircraft on your belt.

Thankyou Dick,

I just read your comment on Vimeo..........

I am humbled.

Better videos showing more of Divinity II to come, intermixed with aerial video as well to show stability and class.....fingers crossed.....

ApachePilot
May 17, 2009, 04:56 AM
Well, today is the day, Divinity II is packed up in the truck, getting ready to head out in a hour, so I will be off here for thr remainder of the day. I'll check posting on my BlackBerry throughout the day and try to answer any questions later this evening. I hope everyone has wonderful weather and you are able to get in a few flights today. Myself, I have hours upon hours of drive time....Off towards Alexander City Alabama....see you there.

ApachePIlot
May 17, 2009, 05:47 AM
Jack
Congrats Frank, you hit the nail on the head again!

I'm pretty amazed that you can hang all that stuff on there and keep it right side up.

It will be interesting to hear how that goes with the FPV headset on. I can't help but wonder if you don't need to two people who can fly and a buddy box system or something to get that process to work OK.

Jack
May 17, 2009, 05:52 AM
John 3:16
Be careful on the road. We wouldn't want anything to happen to D-2 . I'm looking forward to seeing more from your new 48" wing. Congratulations!
Daddy-O
May 17, 2009, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes
Congrats Frank, you hit the nail on the head again!

I'm pretty amazed that you can hang all that stuff on there and keep it right side up.

It will be interesting to hear how that goes with the FPV headset on. I can't help but wonder if you don't need to two people who can fly and a buddy box system or something to get that process to work OK.

Jack
Thanks Jack,

I always have someone with me giving me ques. Before I fly under the hood, I always, get a terrain map from google to get an idea of landmarks, then I travel the area in which I am going to fly to get a visual of those landmarks. After launch I fly a designated route and not just flying around aimlessly. I have a fail safe system as well, if I ever lose radio contact, my aircraft will circle and throttle is reduced. Lastly, I don't fly FPV in populated areas.

ApachePilot
May 17, 2009, 10:41 PM
Divinity II and I made it to Alexander City....

The weather this week is looking promising, I just have to spot a place to fly... I am sure I will find one and when I do, I will put her through the paces... She was built as a AP/video platform, but flys great without those items attached. She has kept the slow flight ability of Divinity, but now it is time for her, and me to step up.

Good night world, it has been a long day driving....

ApachePilot
May 18, 2009, 08:45 AM
Huge field, little tree... WTH
Good to see you made it there in one piece. I've got a really good golf course that is just down the street from me here in Anniston. But you know...? I think you'd find a good place to fly your beast a little closer than the 70 miles from where you are to here... hahaha. Good luck with that today...!!!
May 19, 2009, 12:52 AM
Well,
Here's the progress on the little one... hahaha. I'll finish up the nose of it and the connecting rods sometime tomorrow afternoon. I guess then I'll find out if it even flies...

I had to change a few things from the original design to fit my particular hardware but... we shall see.

Dano...
May 19, 2009, 06:19 AM
Jack
That is a pretty little guy, Dano. Looking forward to hearing how it flies.

It there clear tape over the cutouts behind the step?

Give us a hardware list and an AUW when you get a chance, I'll bet someone else will want to build that too.

Jack
May 19, 2009, 06:56 AM
Hey Jack...
Yeah, I put some really thin clear packing tape on the rear part of the wing. It made this difference of only maybe 1.5 grams but, at this size... it should make the difference. I just weighed it an it comes in (so far) at 18.5 g AUW. Still need to attach and sand the rudders and finish up the nose. I'm planning on fully enclosing the battery/receiver and making a hatch to reduce the drag. Too bad it's really windy down here in 'Bama land... hahaha. I was wanting to put it up today. We'll see what happens... I've already started my no wind dance.

Dano...

Quick Reply