48" Divinity II Build***Now with Proof of flight video*** - Page 3 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
May 15, 2009, 05:33 AM
Huge field, little tree... WTH
Danoman812's Avatar
Hey, great video...!!!
I was wondering something... where abouts is the CG on yours there...? I've heard them say that about 15% of chord. From the look of the video, yours just shot straight out like it was on rails from the start... impressive for sure. I'm asking because mine, being as small as it is, is going to have to be close to right on from the beginning. You're opinions would be greatly accepted... I'm using all Plantraco radio equipment so, this should prove to be interesting... hahaha. By the way, I was also wondering the same thing as Flynfrog too...
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2009, 06:27 AM
Jack
jackerbes's Avatar
Beautiful! Another Winner!

I think, like you said, a little bit forward on the CG and you'll have it nailed. Those no power stalls where it pick up the nose, stalls, drops the nose and then repeats will probably go away with a little more wieght on the nose and maybe a little less up travel on the elevons.

But that's a beauty. How was the roll on that with the bigger elevons? Was it radial or more radial? Or still kind of barrel like?

Jack
May 15, 2009, 12:39 PM
Registered User
ApachePilot, the Divinity II looks fantastic and flys very well.

What dimensional changes have you made as compared to Divinity I?

Span increased to 48", root & tip chord?, sweep angle?
May 15, 2009, 10:34 PM
Father Francis, formerly Apach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danoman812
Hey ApachePilot...
I liked your design so much that I'm working on the build myself... only, I'm making mine in the micro version. I've taken your original version (Divinity I) dimentions and have reduced it down to the wingspan of 16". This should be an interesting build... hahaha. I've added your ideas here as far as the wing build-up but, of course in the reduced state. I'll let you know more as I go if your interested.
Hmmmm... I don't think mine will be quite as quick as yours will be. Hahahaha... Looking forward to seeing some pics and vids on the performance of that machine you got there...!!!

Dano...
Dano,

I have already build a Divinity 14" using PLantraco electronics for the deluxe starter set. It fliys but I have to work on my hinging. if you are using this setup you want to keep the AUW under 14 grams ready to fly...good luck and keep us all posted...

ApachePilot
May 15, 2009, 10:37 PM
Father Francis, formerly Apach
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes
Beautiful! Another Winner!

I think, like you said, a little bit forward on the CG and you'll have it nailed. Those no power stalls where it pick up the nose, stalls, drops the nose and then repeats will probably go away with a little more wieght on the nose and maybe a little less up travel on the elevons.

But that's a beauty. How was the roll on that with the bigger elevons? Was it radial or more radial? Or still kind of barrel like?

Jack

Thanks Jack,

I spent today fishing with my wife and family so I was unable to tune Divinity II. As for the roll rate, they are more axial but take some distance to rotate. I probably travel forward 100' feet or more before full roll is achieved. I hope to get in a few flights tomorrow, weather permitting before I head out to Alexander City, Alabama on Sunday.


ApachePilot
May 15, 2009, 10:40 PM
Father Francis, formerly Apach
Quote:
Originally Posted by wim5150
ApachePilot, the Divinity II looks fantastic and flys very well.

What dimensional changes have you made as compared to Divinity I?

Span increased to 48", root & tip chord?, sweep angle?

Divinity II is simply blown up to achieve a span of 48". It uses my KFm6 modified airfoil as well as a few changes in building methods. Once I have it tuned and flying the way I like I will try getting all the info out so that anyone wanting to build it may do so at their leisure.

Thankyou for your interest...


ApachePilot
May 16, 2009, 01:58 AM
Huge field, little tree... WTH
Danoman812's Avatar
Well, here's what I have so far...
(still alot of trimming, shaving and sanding to do yet)
I'm using 5mm Midwest cellfoam 88 for the "core" of the wing...
I'm using 3mm Midwest Cellfoam 88 for the upper and lower airfoil additions...
I've placed an order for a carbon prop/gearbox and lots to make this build lighter and stronger than it would normally be... failure is NOT an option... hahahaha...!!!
With what I saw in your video, this is a great design for me to get my feet wet when it comes to flying wings... I've flown pattern and sailplanes for nearly (actually over) 20 years now) so, now.. I'm looking for something to fly in my front yard and the golf course that is close by without having to pack the family up to make it to the large flying field. I'm sure that makes sense to many of you out there.
Your design appears to track predictably... which is exacially what I'm looking for in an unusually maneuverable aircraft... I'm really stoked on making this work properly.
May 16, 2009, 06:24 AM
Father Francis, formerly Apach
Today is the day,

In a couple hours I am gonna try to get the vedeo equipment I purchased from Ragnge Video installed and get in a video flight later today. I need to run to town first though to see if I can find a hard Bow case. I would like to find one to cary Divinity II in. Is anyone out there an experienced bow hunter? I would like to know if even a case does exist. 48"x24"x4".

Divinity I:

I wanted a fair sized light weight platfom to fly in close, to be maneuverable and offer good performance with very low cost. I believe I met those goals, thanks to all of you and to Mr. Dick Kline.

Divinity II:

My proposed AP/Video platform:

To be of 48" span and to carry my KFm6 airfoil modified.
To use a slightly modified building method, saving more time and money.
To change wing outline slightly and enlarge elevon.
To carry payload of a camera video equiptment.
To retain the KFm4 Divinity slow flight characteristics.
To offer a higher top end. (in speed and performance)
To maintain good stability while flying as AP/Video platform.

I believe I have met those goals, this afternoon we will see if Divinity II will live up to the hype.


Thanks everyone,


ApachePilot
May 16, 2009, 06:33 AM
Father Francis, formerly Apach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danoman812
Well, here's what I have so far...
(still alot of trimming, shaving and sanding to do yet)
I'm using 5mm Midwest cellfoam 88 for the "core" of the wing...
I'm using 3mm Midwest Cellfoam 88 for the upper and lower airfoil additions...
I've placed an order for a carbon prop/gearbox and lots to make this build lighter and stronger than it would normally be... failure is NOT an option... hahahaha...!!!
With what I saw in your video, this is a great design for me to get my feet wet when it comes to flying wings... I've flown pattern and sailplanes for nearly (actually over) 20 years now) so, now.. I'm looking for something to fly in my front yard and the golf course that is close by without having to pack the family up to make it to the large flying field. I'm sure that makes sense to many of you out there.
Your design appears to track predictably... which is exacially what I'm looking for in an unusually maneuverable aircraft... I'm really stoked on making this work properly.

Your pics are looking great...

Just remember to build LIGHT!!! also make certain your hinge line has absolutely no friction. If you are using the Motor gearbox that comes with the deluxe starter set it is said to produce 14 grams of thrust, I would say less than that. Lastly, if you plan to use the mini actuators, you may need to ballance your elevons by adding a small weight in front of your hinge line so that your actuators have less mass to overcome. Looks great though, keep us all informed.

As a latter note, I wish I was going to be up around Joe Nall, I would like to take Divinity.

Will there be a Divinity wing there this year? Or at least a few other models with a KF airfoil?



ApachePilot
May 16, 2009, 06:52 AM
Registered User
Murman's Avatar
What kind of video camera did you buy for Divinity II?
May 16, 2009, 07:00 AM
Father Francis, formerly Apach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatulator
What kind of video camera did you buy for Divinity II?

I have the 900mHz 500mW system from Range Video, camera is the KX171 Color cam with mic.

This system is a proven one, I use it while flying FPV on my Easy Star. I have the 8dBi patch on my Rx and get over a mile.

ApachePilot
May 16, 2009, 09:04 AM
Registered User
Murman's Avatar
Thanks, so I guess we can expect some video like this one???

greatest moments update (4 min 31 sec)
May 16, 2009, 11:22 AM
Father Francis, formerly Apach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatulator
Thanks, so I guess we can expect some video like this one???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiVJY...layer_embedded

Maybe not exactly like that... , but yes, flying FPV and the same essence of video....lol
Meaning I won't be flying through balconies or windows any time soon....

ApachePilot
May 16, 2009, 11:49 AM
Out the Window
High Flyin''s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatulator
Thanks, so I guess we can expect some video like this one???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiVJY...layer_embedded
That is some crazy video. Try that in the USA in one of our port cities and you will become familiar with Homeland Security and maybe get some first hand experience with water boarding!!!

Ray
May 16, 2009, 02:50 PM
Father Francis, formerly Apach
Camera and video Tx is installed, just waiting for the wind to die down a bit, then off to the field.
I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet, but should be under 18 ounces AUW.

I need to have someone dance 30+ mph gust away for about 15 minutes....


Below are pics of the install:
Easily attached and removed, velcro and 2 screws, so I have the option to fly with or without.


ApachePilot


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Schuebeler Vector II Build Thread Gordon Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 198 Jun 02, 2012 08:18 AM
Bitstream-II build thread bwanajim Electric Sailplanes 2 Dec 11, 2004 07:46 AM
FoamyFactory Pitts Challenger II Build Thread. Boss248 3D Flying 44 Aug 29, 2004 05:59 PM
Rave Taco II Build FINALLY FINISHED!!! Acer Parkflyers 10 Nov 01, 2003 09:20 AM
Flashback II Build Question edkoz Parkflyers 7 Oct 14, 2003 10:18 PM