Sep 22, 2009, 03:39 AM
Sorry if I overlooked this or missed the Post, but this Eagle Eyes PCB, will it come provided in an enclosure with plug in ports, or simply plastic wrapped?

Any news on the proposed release date?

Look forward to this becoming available, will compliment the rest of the Eagle Tree components that I already own for FPV - the missing piece in the jigsaw puzzle. Keep up the great work!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2009, 07:09 AM

Look Ma, no moving cables

Here's a few pics of my Tracking station eagerly awaiting the Eagle Eyes.

When Eagle Eyes becomes available I will mount it inside a small project case and the tracking servo will sit on top of the project case also with the Power Panel mounted in it.

I hope it gives inspiration to fellow FPV'ers waiting for the Eagle Eyes and to you too Bill.

cheers Geoff
Last edited by garris2; Sep 23, 2009 at 07:14 AM.
Sep 23, 2009, 08:10 AM
Resistance is Futile
I'll have to say that's one slick arrangement you have there. The brushes solution is pure genius!

Your inspiration has me already scouring my mental inventory of various parts bins so that I too may have a no nonsense free-spin panning system for my Eagle Eyes system when they are released.

Have you experienced any induced effects from the friction of the brushes on the contact strips in any of your A/V or servo feeds?

Thanks for sharing.

Camship
Sep 23, 2009, 08:56 AM
Wow, that is absolutely incredible. Great job on that setup.
Sep 23, 2009, 09:16 AM
I think the brushes create very little turning resistance. If I disconnect the servo (eliminate servo drag) and then turn the platter by hand I can't feel any difference if I raise the platter off the brushes and turn it again.

The brushes have very light pressure, probabily the same as when they where in their little electric motors.

In any case the pan servo is quite powerful, I'm using a Hyperion DS-20xTMD digital servo, 8Kg/cm torque @4.8v. And the pan axis has very little load on it any way.

The tilt axis has more load just because of the weight of the antenna in certain positions always bearing on the servo. Here I'm using a Hitec HS-985MG 9.6Kg/cm @4.8v.

I did also have a Hyperion DS-20xTMD on the tilt but because of its digital nature and the weight of the antenna it was too jerky and jumpy on the tilt so I changed to an analogue servo which is a bit smoother.
I would recommend a high torque analogue servo for the tilt.

Also' I've not noticed any adverse affects to the video because of the un-shielded slip rings.

cheers Geoff
Sep 24, 2009, 01:27 AM
Thread OP
npole, in most cases you should be correct, as long as you have a compass handy, or know the orientation of your flying field. But, what I think we will end up doing is having all the configuration be accessible without a laptop, but allow the settings to be changes on the PC for those who prefer that (like we do with the other OSD Pro on-screen settings).

jetstreaming, the board will be covered in clear heatshrink, but it's set up for a tooled plastic case, if enough people want that down the road. Plastic cases are incredibly cheap to mass produce, but incredibly expensive and time consuming to develop, so we'll want to wait on this.

Regarding release date, my mantra has become "it's our top priority, and is the next significant product we will ship." To that, I'll add that the "n-1" board here is working very well, and features are testing out one by one, which is a good sign.

Geoff, that's an incredible station! I can't stop looking at the photos. It will be fun to hit it with some major PWM.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Sep 24, 2009, 03:21 AM
hey garris2...looks great nice job..

was wondering if you tried the unit yet??

I'd be concerned about the brushes creating and induced emf...how do you clean them..

just a thought...
Sep 24, 2009, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
npole, in most cases you should be correct, as long as you have a compass handy, or know the orientation of your flying field.
In the "worst" scenario you may get rid of the compass as well, that's in the extreme cases where you don't have any laptop with you. You will fix the base station point, just placing the plane with a correct GPS fix near to it and fixing the starting point via the hud (it is a process that is already done to fix your home position); then you move your plane apart, we say 20 meters, or you can do it while flying as well... then you will point the antenna to it (via the hud *manually*) and you'll fix the direction. You don't need to know about the orientation then, since the tracker will calculate the angle based on the GPS coordinates, the altidue also shouldn't be defined since it will be just calculated above the zero (ground). It would be usefull even to adjust your antenna (fine tracking) while in flying, shifting the actual position (basically resetting its "center").

Honestly i don't see any reason why u need a laptop at the field (it's ok for those who wanna carry additional hardware; or for maintanance operations... but for those of us that doesn't carry a laptop with em *already* it would be just additional weigth... for no reasons).
Sep 24, 2009, 04:46 AM
I liked the garris idea! But i've imagined mine to get rid *totally* of "flying wires". My idea is to keep the whole hardware on the rotating base, and then to use a transmitter for the final video output.

In this way you gonna have the whole stuff rotating (main receivers, battery, diversity, etc.), and a tiny transmitter (ie: the one provided with the fatshark goggles) to transmitt the "final" video to your goggles.
I don't think there would be any "weigth" problem, since the servo must handle only the rotation of the plate (eventually using a bearing...), and the "tilt" servo will just be used for the antenna.

The big pro is that you can use a robotic (or neverending) servo, you don't have to care about those wires, neither you need to apply "exotic" solutions for the connections (like the brushes or whatever).
I hope that EE will support these type of configurations, for me it is essential to have the antenna *always* pointed to plane, since i'm used to fly around me.
Sep 24, 2009, 11:53 PM
Thread OP
npole, I agree, there should never be a need for a laptop at the field, unless you are using the laptop to view/log the telemetry data from the EagleEyes, using the laptop to follow the flight with Google Earth, or recording video. The EagleEyes configuration can all be performed without a laptop.

Hey, here's today's update: we're now able to transmit our entire data stream at 10Hz, with 0% packet loss, using the Lawmate 500mW Tx. This makes me very happy.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Sep 25, 2009, 12:02 AM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
That is some GOOD NEWS
Sep 25, 2009, 01:08 AM
I love FPV!
Bill, or anyone.

To have a full diversity system, based on the EagleEye, am I right in saying that you need the following:
  • EagleTree OSD
  • EagleTree GPS
  • 1 x Video Tx
  • 2 x Video Rx
  • A patch antenna
  • A rubber duck style antenna
  • A servo driven Patch antenna direction thingie with 2 servos
  • The EagleEye
  • EITHER an Eagle Tree PowerPanel OR a Laptop

Does all of that, constitute a pretty good system that should allow for pretty impressive distances? (I presonally use the RV 900mhz system with a DX7 (2.4Ghz) radio system). So this will do all the directional pointing, signal switching stuff? Anythign else required?

As I'm building an enclosed ground station, is there any indication as to the size of the EagleEye system? It requires 12V?
Sep 25, 2009, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis
Does all of that, constitute a pretty good system that should allow for pretty impressive distances?
It all depends on what you mean with "pretty impressive distances"... ...that is? 3Km.. 6Km.. 10Km? The hardware must be balanced indeed: you may go further with the video but not with the radio (or vice versa), are u planning to add a booster to your radio, or a UHF LR system?
Sep 25, 2009, 04:35 AM
I love FPV!
Thanks npole.

At the moment, I'd be happy with up to 2 kms... unbroken picture. To me, for now, that would be fantastic, and I'd be extatic. I think with that, I'd be struggling with my DX7 - so, early next year, when the dust of the initial cost of FPV has settled, I might go that DragonLink route. But for now.. I'd like to know what sort of distance I could get with my equipment -and the above equipment.
Sep 25, 2009, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis
Thanks npole.

At the moment, I'd be happy with up to 2 kms... unbroken picture. To me, for now, that would be fantastic, and I'd be extatic. I think with that, I'd be struggling with my DX7 - so, early next year, when the dust of the initial cost of FPV has settled, I might go that DragonLink route. But for now.. I'd like to know what sort of distance I could get with my equipment -and the above equipment.
Then i see no probs with that equipment to fly in the range of 2km from the launch point... or further, the limit in your case would the dx7, i'm not sure how far you may go with it (whenever i don't think that 2km is a problem, with my futaba i may go further than 3km). So, have fun!

Quick Reply