May 10, 2009, 02:37 PM
Question

Power supply for DC charger?

I've been looking for a dual input, A/C and D/C, lipo charger without much luck. I did stumble across a Vista X-RD 12v power supply in my barn today. It has 13.8v dc output at 10amps with 1% regulation. Can you run a D/C lipo charger off this type of power supply? Or do you have to have a lead acid battery and an AC charger? I hate having to use a car to charge batteries.
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2009, 03:08 PM
That power supply should work fine for chargers up to about 100 watts output. If you need more power you can buy a deep cycle RV battery then connect the power supply and charger to the battery at the same time. Some people even use a 13.8 volt power supply for lead acid battery charging.
May 10, 2009, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM732
That power supply should work fine for chargers up to about 100 watts output. If you need more power you can buy a deep cycle RV battery then connect the power supply and charger to the battery at the same time. Some people even use a 13.8 volt power supply for lead acid battery charging.
I'm trying to avoid the battery on the workbench. They have a tendency to freeze and crack in the winter. Makes a huge mess. For my little 3S 1100ma batteries, do you think I can run just the power supply?
Thanks, Jay
May 10, 2009, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying jeep
For my little 3S 1100ma batteries, do you think I can run just the power supply?
For chargers up to about 100 watts output power, yes.
May 11, 2009, 05:32 AM
For your batteries, charging at 1C you need only appr 15-20 Watt from the supply.
Btw: Bantam BC6 is a nice AC/DC charger!
May 11, 2009, 07:18 AM
I AM Smiling
I have the BANTAM BC6 AC/DC charger and the ACCU-CYCLE AC/DC chargers for home use. In the field, I use a 400 amp booster starter battery (Husky from Home Depot. It comes with a wall wart charger and has a light and Cigarette lighter outlet in addition to the booster cables.) I use a BANTAM BC6-10 (DC only) charger in the field.

The ACCU-CYCLE is from Tower Hobbies and will charge 2 batteries at once but only goes up to 3-cell Lipo's. The Bantam's will charge up to 6-cell batteries and can also balance and charge at the same time.
May 11, 2009, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying jeep
I've been looking for a dual input, A/C and D/C, lipo charger without much luck. I did stumble across a Vista X-RD 12v power supply in my barn today. It has 13.8v dc output at 10amps with 1% regulation. Can you run a D/C lipo charger off this type of power supply? Or do you have to have a lead acid battery and an AC charger? I hate having to use a car to charge batteries.

I'm curious on this myself.. I have a schumacher battery companion
6 volt/12volt 1.5A slow charge battery charger/maintainer model WM-1562A.

I'm curious if this charger will work with charging lipo batteries using a lipo balancer with gator clips.. Would this be safe or should I not even try this setup?

Thanks..
May 12, 2009, 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrorsound
I'm curious if this charger will work with charging lipo batteries using a lipo balancer with gator clips.. Would this be safe or should I not even try this setup?

Thanks..
If you say you would like to charge LiPoes using a charger not meant for LiPo the answer is NO NO NO. Flying Jeep would like to use a supply to power his LiPo-charger. Please don`t use a non LiPo-charger.
May 12, 2009, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jooNorway
If you say you would like to charge LiPoes using a charger not meant for LiPo the answer is NO NO NO. Flying Jeep would like to use a supply to power his LiPo-charger. Please don`t use a non LiPo-charger.
Unless you use the 'Dapter. They work fine. Tex.
May 13, 2009, 11:46 PM
I talked to a few RC guys locally and they said as long as the schumacher power supply is connected to the 3 cell lipo charger\balancer I should be ok. I'm still going to get a power supply designed for RC, this power supply is only temporary.

Thanks for the replies everyone..
May 14, 2009, 02:22 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
That power supply may not be able to deliver the amount of current needed for charging. Give it a try and see but get the "right-stuff."
Gary