Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 11, 2009, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxhead
...Might have to stop looking and do something about it ...

I agree, if I didn't have so much to do right now I'd be on it!!! I REALLY think this could work for thermaling. Hmmmm............ a 60" wing span would be cool
Last edited by 3D-Flyer Kevin; May 11, 2009 at 09:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2009, 08:35 PM
My plans are in my blog
Otay, so has anyone built this bird? Looks very nice.
May 12, 2009, 12:51 AM
TJC
TJC
Crossweave king
Quote:
I'm a chemical addictions counselor trainee, so maybe I've come to the right thread.
Phenylethene, polyepoxide resin. Both highly addictive! You are in the right place.
May 12, 2009, 05:52 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
We just found the CG......3 paper models so far....No foam commitment yet...
Magic... That's pretty COOL !!!
just getting around to drawing this one out somewhat larger...
Last edited by gpw; May 12, 2009 at 09:58 AM.
May 12, 2009, 12:06 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Magic... That's pretty COOL !!!
Thought it might strike you with some more inspiration. The anhedral / dihedral / polyhedral thing would take some work, but given what you're trying to do, might be the closest to "bird-like" too.
May 12, 2009, 08:30 PM
Hillary Lied, 4 Americans Died
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Guess these designs could come "from the bottle "... sitting on the veranda , rocking with your favorite beverage , watching the Vultures circling overhead... Relaxing and educational at the same time
Kinda' makes you wonder why they are circling over your house...
There looking for all those foamies you've killed GPW. Watching with intrest, always wanted one of those bird planes.
May 12, 2009, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn
I'm a chemical addictions counselor trainee, so maybe I've come to the right thread.
Foam is made with chemicals, and I think I am addicted to flying it. Can you help me?
May 12, 2009, 09:39 PM
My plans are in my blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Barrow
Foam is made with chemicals, and I think I am addicted to flying it. Can you help me?
When the counselor is addicted to the same foamie chemicals, too, theres no hope for anyone!
May 13, 2009, 12:20 AM
stupid wind
I want to build one of these when I have time.
May 13, 2009, 12:21 AM
I Love My Ember!
Not to be a killjoy, but you'll likely have a problem with wing tip flutter without some serious strengthening. Birds are able to keep track of their wing shape because they have nerves, muscles and feathers that they are able to move in response to conditions in order to maintain balance, while we have none of these advantages in modeled or full scale flight for that matter. The closest thing we have right now are some of Lockheed and Martin's morphing wing R&D models.

That being said, I like the look of the design, and if you can make it stiff enough in bending and torsion, it should fly well, anhedral and all.
May 13, 2009, 06:01 AM
gpw
gpw
First off, I'm NOT trying to make a bird,or bird-like plane... just trying out the wing shape ... and Not trying to set any speed records.... Just a simple experiment with FFF... The whole idea is to try it out and learn from it... no pre-conceived notions... just observations/testing...
For those wishing a bird plane ,there are many good bird designs already published/flown... successfully...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
May 13, 2009, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn
When the counselor is addicted to the same foamie chemicals, too, theres no hope for anyone!
The new anti-drug message "Get high with foam, not drugs"
May 13, 2009, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
First off, I'm NOT trying to make a bird,or bird-like plane... just trying out the wing shape ... and Not trying to set any speed records.... Just a simple experiment with FFF... The whole idea is to try it out and learn from it... no pre-conceived notions... just observations/testing...
For those wishing a bird plane ,there are many good bird designs already published/flown... successfully...
Oh, I thought since you were emulating the shape of bird wings...... Hey, I'll watch with interest anyway, I might learn something.
May 13, 2009, 07:36 AM
gpw
gpw
Sorry to bird lovers, just trying out the LAR wing shape .... seeing what it'll do...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
May 13, 2009, 12:10 PM
My plans are in my blog
Any progress on the plane yet? Chucky glides well, and wants to get motorized.

Quick Reply