May 10, 2009, 09:16 PM
I think I would faint.... or pee my pants
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2009, 10:42 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willja67
I think it would be really cool to see a swing wing version of a RC bird. I came up with this very rough concept of how it might be done.
The way that thing moves in my head looks like driving both wings with a single servo as you have it drawn would result in the right wing sweping considerably more than the left. The backward motion of the right side of the servo arm will immediately start sweeping the right wing. While at the same time the left the servo arm is moving forward actually extending the left wing until the servo arm reaches the 45-degree point. At the 45-degree point it would start sweeping the left wing but from that position with that control arm angle it wouldn't produce much movement.

I could be wrong.

kendall
May 10, 2009, 11:05 PM
it's more of an idea that it might be possible. I doubt that it would work perfectly as drawn here. It would need more engineering.
May 10, 2009, 11:16 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
Quote:
it's more of an idea that it might be possible. I doubt that it would work perfectly as drawn here. It would need more engineering.
Sure it's possible. Even with one servo. You'd just have to figure out how to get the linkages moving equally and in the same direction. Bellcranks maybe? Or a single, Y-shaped control rod?

kendall
Last edited by tuppertn; May 10, 2009 at 11:29 PM.
May 11, 2009, 07:03 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Well, personally, we won't be doing any flapping soon... just some Fixed wing bird flying... Since all my scaling programs went South with my PC, just going to free-hand a larger pattern for a motorized version... Should be close... Nothing written in stone anyway at this point..

Lord Boxamort , I blame you for putting these bird ideas in my birdbrain...hahahahahaha
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
May 11, 2009, 07:14 AM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
Quote:
I personally don't have the expertise yet to pull it off. I am still struggling along with my first designs and still don't understand a lot of the jargon let alone motor prop esc combos.
You should check out the Ornithopter forum.

https://www.rcgroups.com/ornithopters-101/

Lots of info on flapping wings. I've seen a few of them fly, interesting creations.

Azarr
May 11, 2009, 07:19 AM
Look outside the Square
I subscribe a bottle of Malt Whiskey and Ice but not to much ice. Those thoughts will be erased by morning.........

Looks Great GPW. Luv the Lines. Free Flowing. Now you got me thinking, Again

B x
May 11, 2009, 07:33 AM
gpw
gpw
I guess when it comes down to it, going back to the birds is a good idea... they've been flying longer than we have ..... and still have much to show us ,as they are sized similarly to our models.. that scale effect thingie'...

Box, you know , over the years we've been a Good and Bad influence on each other....hahahahaha malt whiskey eh???
May 11, 2009, 08:39 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
Seagrams 7 please, thank you...
May 11, 2009, 09:33 AM
gpw
gpw
Guess these designs could come "from the bottle "... sitting on the veranda , rocking with your favorite beverage , watching the Vultures circling overhead... Relaxing and educational at the same time
Kinda' makes you wonder why they are circling over your house...
May 11, 2009, 11:06 AM
The Dude Abides
Perhaps this wing design will lead many of us to the holy grail of the wind-friendly-foamy! I love Mother Nature!
May 11, 2009, 11:12 AM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
I was perusing through the "3-views" sticky for something entirely different than this, but saw the plane below, and it reminded me of this thread. Don't know if it's helpful or useful, but it sure does remind me of what you're trying to do, Glen. Maybe it'll strike someone's inspiration...?!?!?
May 11, 2009, 11:50 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Guess these designs could come "from the bottle "... sitting on the veranda , rocking with your favorite beverage , watching the Vultures circling overhead... Relaxing and educational at the same time
Kinda' makes you wonder why they are circling over your house...
LMAO!!!
May 11, 2009, 07:36 PM
My plans are in my blog
I'm a chemical addictions counselor trainee, so maybe I've come to the right thread.
May 11, 2009, 07:46 PM
Look outside the Square
GPW, I'd be more worried about the Vultures and their intentions . I keep going back to your drawing. Might have to stop looking and do something about it

Rusty you never know their could be a couple of candidates here.

B x

Quick Reply