May 10, 2009, 08:56 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Discussion

Bird wing shaped flier ... Plans included ...

Been watching the large Vultures and Hawks overhead... they do fold their wings considerably in a dive... Wonder what this would do for a Foamie??? Sorta' forward/rearward swept wing.... works for birds .... So made a drawing... Strictly EXPERIMENTAL... I'll have to make a small chuck glider to find the cg... small birdlike fuse on the bottom might be nice for something to grip /hold radio gear... good chance to try a KF on this and may eliminate a need for bracing... many possibilities, and we can vary the size for small or LARGE birds..
Last edited by gpw; Feb 14, 2016 at 11:39 AM. Reason: To eliminate confusion over other Bird planes
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2009, 09:02 AM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
I like how you think, Glen. This should be an interesting experiment for sure.
May 10, 2009, 09:19 AM
gpw
gpw
Thanks Magic!!!! I printed the image out as is.... makes a nice 11.5" WS size, just perfect for a small cardboard or Depron glider... I'll get to work on it and finding the CG...
Anybody with experience or a better idea, please jump in !!!

If it doesn't work ,might make a cool modernistic bird mobile (from the Latin mobilis )
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
May 10, 2009, 11:07 AM
it WILL fly! someday....
combine this with dihedral/anhedral where sweep reverses . very interesting, Ill watch this one.
May 10, 2009, 11:27 AM
I too am very interested. Your thinking seems logical as some birds can reach something like 150mph in a dive
May 10, 2009, 11:48 AM
gpw
gpw
OK , made a small index card stock glider directly from the printout.. The best glide CG seems to be slightly aft of the front inner bend next to the fuse.. I'd guess about 20- 25% ,similar to a disk... That means keeping the tail feathers LIGHT,all gear forward, and using a longer stick on the nose...
Glided well, once we found the CG... now to blow it up...to LARGE bird size... could easily be 36"-40" and still fit a sheet of FFF Those vultures are Huge!!! gotta' be 6' WS... They gather in Legions and soar on the thermals in our area... makes glider flying easy... just jump in with them .... and they can go pretty fast folded and downhill... Hawks folded are really Fast, being smaller birds...
May 10, 2009, 12:34 PM
Sounds good to me You could use the airfoil Apachepilot used on his Divinity.
May 10, 2009, 02:41 PM
gpw
gpw
Many possibilities for airfoil from flat plate on... I think I'll try the "simple" KF @ 50% on top... worked well in the past ... many many times... Simple too! Using PB3 to make ,what else, a Blu bird...hahahahahaha
May 10, 2009, 03:28 PM

Swing Wings

I had this idea and posted it over in Lee's Epp Peregrine thread but he wasn't that interested.

I think it would be really cool to see a swing wing version of a RC bird. I came up with this very rough concept of how it might be done. You will have to click on the pick to see it since the resolution is so low.
May 10, 2009, 03:51 PM
For the Horde!!
Cool idea Glen. I'm in for helping any way possible.
May 10, 2009, 03:56 PM
My plans are in my blog
You have too much fun, Glen. I wish I could hang out with you, you're never without something cool to build.
May 10, 2009, 06:40 PM
gpw
gpw
Rusty, I'm afraid you'd wilt ... 90's here already , stays for 6 mos...Hot as Come on down , we have a good little Squadron... Better yet wait till Winter here , which will be like summer there....hahahahaha

Always looking for a new flying thingie'...

Hat, you could make a small chuck glider to check my results... paper works !!!
May 10, 2009, 06:44 PM
gpw
gpw
W67... Cool idea... Probably a Highly geared motor huh??? Low KV???
May 10, 2009, 08:02 PM
I personally don't have the expertise yet to pull it off. I am still struggling along with my first designs and still don't understand a lot of the jargon let alone motor prop esc combos.
May 10, 2009, 08:49 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Flyer Kevin
I too am very interested. Your thinking seems logical as some birds can reach something like 150mph in a dive
Just watched Discovery Channel's "MYTH BUSTERS" (awesome show!) They were testing weather or not a bird could trip off those speed radar cameras some pd's use. Peregrine Falcons. The Falconer said they have been clocked at 240 mph in a dive.
Imagine THAT with a foamie!

SHEESH.... look at the crowd I'm talking to! I'm sure yall ALREADY imagined that!

Quick Reply